Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 52

Author Topic: [0.40.24v00] Phoebus' Graphic Set  (Read 422731 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.24v00] Phoebus' Graphic Set
« Reply #615 on: March 31, 2016, 02:45:50 pm »

Say, I'm back after a while away... As I understand it, there are now new animalpeople in the newer versions, so is there any sort of list of animals that as yet need graphic-ing?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: April 01, 2016, 04:19:46 am »

Loci updated the list on the wiki a while back:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php?title=DF2014%3AGraphic_set&diff=224136&oldid=223187
And here are the new professions:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php?title=DF2014%3AGraphic_set&diff=221468&oldid=220629
Note that some merely changed file location or name (giant toad, tiger man ,etc).
I guess diff-ing the raws might give you a more readable format. Or even easier, check out Quiet-Sun's graphic standardization tools , which should directly show you which of your graphics are missing.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 01, 2016, 10:57:36 am »

That's helpful for changing my own graphics, but what I meant was that I was asking what holes there were in Phoebus's graphics.  A lot of the "difference" there seems to pick up a formatting change.

Of course, a cursory glance says there aren't any poets, performers, bookbinders, or proper number of scholars, although those aren't my graphics to update.  I'm not sure it would be right to change someone else's graphics set without permission.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 01, 2016, 12:42:34 pm »

That's helpful for changing my own graphics, but what I meant was that I was asking what holes there were in Phoebus's graphics.  A lot of the "difference" there seems to pick up a formatting change.
Oh right, I misunderstood.
Still, using the graphic standardization tool on a current phoebus graphics bundle should reveal all that are missing (as blank tiles).
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 05, 2016, 03:35:48 am »

Of course, a cursory glance says there aren't any poets, performers, bookbinders, or proper number of scholars, although those aren't my graphics to update.  I'm not sure it would be right to change someone else's graphics set without permission.

Phoebus quit go right ahead and add them if they aren't already added.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: April 05, 2016, 03:40:30 am »

See also http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152698
and https://github.com/DFgraphics/Phoebus

I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: April 05, 2016, 01:17:05 pm »

Yes, actually, I didn't see it at first, but it looks like Doren did all the new scholars and performers graphics, as well as a ton of animal variations.

Elves seem to be really lacking, and goblins have some real divergence in quality, tough...

(And Doren's been pretty busy.  I never liked that diagonal brick icon for the floor, but it's clearly at the point where it would take too much effort to overwrite. For that matter, I've been replacing the "puffy cloud" wall for flux stone walls and sand/water textures, bar textures, and making a separate bamboo.  Alongside modded creature icons, as well...)

Still, though, looking at this makes me wonder more and more why Toady doesn't just realize there's only so much he can overload the same icons, and just allow for tilesets of more than 256 tiles.  He's resorting to inverting colors at this point, and even if he only wants pseudo-"ASCII", he could at least expand to unicode characters.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 01:27:15 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: April 05, 2016, 03:39:59 pm »

Better chance of that happening once df gets to 64 bit but that is a mere dream to think we will ever have more than 256 tiles to use without twbt.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: April 05, 2016, 09:32:21 pm »

Better chance of that happening once df gets to 64 bit but that is a mere dream to think we will ever have more than 256 tiles to use without twbt.

I'm not sure what 64 bit has to do with it.  It's supposed to be coming soon, regardless, but as far as I know, that's more because of Worldgen hitting the memory limit than Fortress Mode. 

Regardless, the problem isn't memory, but making distinct fortress tiles, items, and/or distinct images to represent statuses. Even ignoring tileset utility, there are plenty of existing text characters that would be of use in the base game:

It wouldn't be hard at all to make tilesets arbitrarily extensible in size the way that graphic files already are.  (You can declare how many tiles the .png gets diced into, which means you can have any arbitrary size.)  It's literally only Toady's feigning this is an ASCII game and not seeing any reason to bother to expand from there (even just into unicode characters) standing in the way.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: April 06, 2016, 07:51:19 am »

It actually would be hard, because the core graphics system is set up to deal with 8-bit tiles (which limits it to 256). Creature tiles are an exception, but adding more generic tiles would probably require more work than you'd expect.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: April 06, 2016, 12:12:44 pm »

It actually would be hard, because the core graphics system is set up to deal with 8-bit tiles (which limits it to 256). Creature tiles are an exception, but adding more generic tiles would probably require more work than you'd expect.

So, what you are saying is Toady actually put the tile in the map data, which needs compression?

That would make it more complex to change, but I don't think that's how it works.  I thought how it works is that the map data has a material ID and object ID, which links to properties like tiles to display.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: April 28, 2016, 07:21:20 pm »

I'm not talking about maps at all. I'm talking about the system that draws tiles to various positions on the screen, which only supports 256 tiles plus additional creature graphics. It's possible to overload the creature graphics system to include other stuff (see TwbT), but that would require extensive changes to raws, in-game structures, and the renderers. That also wouldn't make it possible to have more than 256 generic tiles (i.e. tiles not tied to specific items, like additional border tiles and generic special characters) - those would require changing lots of renderer-related things.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #627 on: May 06, 2016, 12:50:25 am »

Wow.. I didn't see that. That's too bad. I haven't played this in awhile but Phoebus' set was always my favorite. I also didn't notice that when I started playing again. I've got a nice fort all set up and didn't even realize I wasn't playing the latest version. I only noticed when I started reading up on things like libraries and couldn't figure out why I couldn't make them.

So...

is there any set I can transition to that is set up for the latest version and I could port my save over from this one to?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 06, 2016, 03:52:05 pm »

the savegames from 40.x are compatible with 42.06 and "phoebus TWBT" is included in the "LNP 42.06.r04"
sry, i just saw your post in the corresponding thread :(
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 03:54:14 pm by Pvt. Pirate »
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 07, 2016, 09:46:55 am »

Wow.. I didn't see that. That's too bad. I haven't played this in awhile but Phoebus' set was always my favorite. I also didn't notice that when I started playing again. I've got a nice fort all set up and didn't even realize I wasn't playing the latest version. I only noticed when I started reading up on things like libraries and couldn't figure out why I couldn't make them.

So...

is there any set I can transition to that is set up for the latest version and I could port my save over from this one to?

Phoebus is still being updated to new versions, just not by Phoebus himself. See here:
https://github.com/DFgraphics/Phoebus/releases

Or just use the Starter pack:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 52