Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 52

Author Topic: [0.40.24v00] Phoebus' Graphic Set  (Read 426328 times)

SpyderVenom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.24v00] Phoebus' Graphic Set
« Reply #630 on: May 27, 2016, 04:50:29 am »

I dont like that it changes the text from clean nice text to blotchy shit, but I dont like to play with default and the lazy newb pack just crashes every hour and i read its the pack itselfs fault so I went and got the game, soundsense, and therapist... but then I added this pack and it chopped the text up into bits... I didnt want DF hack but is that what makes the text work again in the starter pack? And how can I make it work without DFhack? Thanks

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: May 27, 2016, 05:56:36 am »

I dont like that it changes the text from clean nice text to blotchy shit, but I dont like to play with default and the lazy newb pack just crashes every hour and i read its the pack itselfs fault so I went and got the game, soundsense, and therapist... but then I added this pack and it chopped the text up into bits... I didnt want DF hack but is that what makes the text work again in the starter pack? And how can I make it work without DFhack? Thanks

You're either referring to TWBT (indeed a DFhack plugin), or enabling True Type. I assume the former, because that's what's shipped with the starter pack. Uou get a different effect by using the latter: enabling the True Type font with F12 (there's also a permanent setting in the init files, and you can change which font you want to use by replacing "data/art/font.ttf"), but this comes with its own set of problems.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 21, 2016, 09:52:51 am »

Apologies for the doubtlessly n00by question, but will Phoebus work with the new .43.04?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 22, 2016, 03:18:15 am »

I too would like to know. It's been so long since I've played Dwarf Fortress that I've totally forgotten how to do everything.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 22, 2016, 07:30:08 am »

It works, you just have to set the inits manually. Can't just copy them from the phoebus folder because of the new parameters.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 07:44:39 am by Valikdu »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 22, 2016, 04:25:55 pm »

The outdated version might cause problems of some kind with crops. To get the version for DF v0.43.04, go to the following link, click the green "Clone or download" button, and download it as a ZIP.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 23, 2016, 02:34:05 pm »

The outdated version might cause problems of some kind with crops. To get the version for DF v0.43.04, go to the following link, click the green "Clone or download" button, and download it as a ZIP.

Following link?  :)
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 23, 2016, 02:38:47 pm »

Following link?  :)

I think he was trying to do this.

Edit: Also is there any sorcery I can perform to get diagonal walls?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 02:46:27 pm by Broseph Stalin »

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 23, 2016, 03:04:12 pm »

Didn't phoebus write a little program that assembled the various tiles from different tilesets into a new one? Tileset assembler? I'm sure you can find it with google. Maybe even in this thread.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 23, 2016, 03:16:07 pm »

Yeah, that's the one.

There is a tilesheet with diagonal walls included. If you want to activate it, open the file located at "/data/init/init.txt" and edit these lines:

Code: [Select]
[GRAPHICS_FONT:Phoebus_16x16.png]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:0]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:0]
[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:Phoebus_16x16.png]

and change them to this:

Code: [Select]
[GRAPHICS_FONT:Phoebus_16x16_Diagonal.png]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:0]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:0]
[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:Phoebus_16x16_Diagonal.png]

And then save the file.

Kuria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: July 11, 2016, 12:57:16 pm »

I'm so frustrated by this game. I wanted to try 43.05 on Saturday, but the arcana of installing Phoebus from the above link has totally escaped me.

I'm a smart person, and I have a background in technology. Could someone please write or link a step by step guide to installing this set of graphics into vanilla DF 43.05 for Windows? The Wiki instructions ( http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Tileset_repository#Installation "If the selected tileset requires modifications to the Raws, you will have to make those edits." ???) are simply not specific enough and I'm pulling out my hair.

K

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: July 11, 2016, 01:53:37 pm »

First, you need a program that can compare text files to each other and find the differences. (I use the free TextWrangler for Mac. I think Windows users use something called "DiffCheck" or something.)

If the current version of Phoebus is for Dwarf Fortress v0.43.03, then compare Phoebus' raws to the vanilla raws of Dwarf Fortress v0.43.03 to see what changes the graphics pack makes. Then you can make those same changes to the updated raws.

It's kind of tedious, but not too hard to do unless stuff gets renamed or moved around (which is confusing).

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: July 11, 2016, 01:56:34 pm »

Could someone please write or link a step by step guide to installing this set of graphics into vanilla DF 43.05 for Windows?
You actually need to do 2 things:
  • Update Phoebus to the new version (or wait for someone else to do it)
  • Install Phoebus
To update phoebus, you need to know
a) which raw files the phoebus tileset changes to look as intended (i.e. you compare 43.04 vanilla raws with 43.04 phoebus raws) and
b) which files were changed by toady between 43.04 and 43.05 - if any (i.e. compare 43.04 files with 43.05 files).

Then you apply the relevant vanilla changes (from .04 to .05) to the phoebus raws. You also need to look out for changes in the data/init/init.txt, by the way. Best starting point is file changes.txt in the vanilla DF directory - it's Toady's detailed changelog.

For example, comparing 43.04 to 43.05, you might notice a new crop could have been added to plants_standard.txt (or whatever it's called): You'd need to copy that entire entry from 43.05 to the phoebus raws.
Or, a tool had its properties changed. The Phoebus tileset might assign a different tile to that tool, so you'd need to copy the new item properties to the phoebus raws, without changing the modified tile back to default.

Installing after this is trivial: Just drop the copy of phoebus in your fresh vanilla DF installation and overwrite files when prompted. Then generate a new world and play.

Kuria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: July 11, 2016, 03:38:37 pm »

Then generate a new world and play.
This helped some, thank you. Is it possible to update the graphics for an existing world/savegame?

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: July 11, 2016, 05:14:53 pm »

Then generate a new world and play.
This helped some, thank you. Is it possible to update the graphics for an existing world/savegame?

Yes, copy the raws to your savegame raws (/raws to /data/save/<your region>/raws).
Just using a 43.04 version of Phoebus for 43.05 (or more accurately the raws of .04 for .05) without making sure if it actually works might lead to some issues though, so at least make a backup copy of your save.

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 52