Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 52

Author Topic: [0.40.24v00] Phoebus' Graphic Set  (Read 425471 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.04v00] Phoebus' Graphic Set (DF version updated)
« Reply #195 on: July 21, 2014, 12:58:44 pm »

To reiterate: I thought having stonesense running in the DF game window was already a thing at some point?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #196 on: July 21, 2014, 01:07:50 pm »

To reiterate: I thought having stonesense running in the DF game window was already a thing at some point?
This is getting off-topic a bit, but thats not stonesense. Its TwbT. Just have a look in its thread, its better than filling the phoebus thread with it. (Edit: I feel like a hyppocrite for typing that, so sorry.)

Phoebus, a suggestion for the leaves tile: Did you ever check how it looks with round leaves, a bit larger than the current ones? The current ones could very much be used as grass as well, and the leaves on them are tiny in comparison to the massive trunks/branches.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 21, 2014, 01:15:53 pm »

I *know* it's not stonesense, I'm saying didn't stonesense already *do* that in the past, in which case, why is TwbT so special for having copied the same functionality?

andbeforeyoutwistTHOSEwords, I *also* know what other stuff TwbT does that's so special. :I But the isometric display was already being done by stonesense so why is TwbT special for doing the same thing?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 21, 2014, 02:10:55 pm »

Not possible. There's only 16 colors and pink isn't one of them.
I dont want to yell TwbT all the time, but mifki is actually working on that as well. Removing that 16 color limit will be a feature of it in future releases.
The problem with cherry blossom is that they fall to the ground, and when they do they do not have their own tile display, they just change the color of whatever they fell on.
I could easily do pink flowers for them, although the tile wouldn't have green leaves anymore as a background. But I can't do if I can't control the displayed tile.
Even if TwbT enables 24bit, it won't help when it can't handle DF's color switching shenanigans.

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 22, 2014, 09:07:50 am »

Just some nitpicking but it seems my gold door to barracks is using the bar look instead of the door look.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xshwmjkpydhtkjz/Gold%20door%20bars.jpg

Archmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • Carpe Pastam
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 22, 2014, 09:10:51 am »

Phoebus, thanks for the amazing tileset and such quick updates for the latest versions. Your efforts are appreciated!

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 22, 2014, 11:16:08 am »

Phoebus, thanks for the amazing tileset and such quick updates for the latest versions. Your efforts are appreciated!
Thank you! :)

Just some nitpicking but it seems my gold door to barracks is using the bar look instead of the door look.
Sadly, that's hardcoded. The tile used by DF to display doors changes based on the material. Most doors will use tile 197 (normal door), wooden doors use tile 186 inverted (north/south wall), metal doors use tile 216 (metal door) or tile 240 (bars/metal door/many other hardcoded things).
I can't fix golden doors without using TwbT, unless you want all metal bars and other things hardcoded to tile 240 to also look like metal doors.

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 22, 2014, 11:20:39 am »

Sadly, that's hardcoded. The tile used by DF to display doors changes based on the material. Most doors will use tile 197 (normal door), wooden doors use tile 186 inverted (north/south wall), metal doors use tile 216 (metal door) or tile 240 (bars/metal door/many other hardcoded things).
I can't fix golden doors without using TwbT, unless you want all metal bars and other things hardcoded to tile 240 to also look like metal doors.
Ahh, so thats why. nah. not that important specially if its a hardcode issue..
Oh. And thanks for your hard work.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 01:32:26 pm by Mokkun »

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
Re: [0.40.03v00] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Bugfixes)
« Reply #203 on: July 23, 2014, 10:00:22 am »

Was there ever a solution for the disappearing text problem?
I've not heard about the problem in 0.40.0x either way.
The problem persists, unfortunately. Just watch PlumpHelmetPunk's most recent DF video on YouTube and you'll see. I can give you a temporary solution though, crossmr: just press F10 twice (or is it F12? too lazy to check) and it should temporarily fix it, but it'll come back after a bit.

Yeah, I've got it all over my game, words, numbers, etc all cut off. Default install.

Shrike77

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 23, 2014, 04:57:57 pm »

Love the graphics pack! Kudos on the amazing work.

Unusual question - let's say I wanted to create a .BMP version of a pack (for the legacy non-SDL 34.11 version of DF). Would it be as simple as modifying the .PNG files into suitable 24-bit bitmaps, dealing with transparency issues (i.e. replacing surrounding transparency with magenta and solidifying transparencies on top of the graphics) or would there be more involved? Do graphics positions and references in the raw files remain the same? Struggling to find any guides on how to create .BMP graphics packs presumably because .PNGs replaced them long ago. Please excuse my ignorance!

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 23, 2014, 09:04:58 pm »

Love the graphics pack! Kudos on the amazing work.

Unusual question - let's say I wanted to create a .BMP version of a pack (for the legacy non-SDL 34.11 version of DF). Would it be as simple as modifying the .PNG files into suitable 24-bit bitmaps, dealing with transparency issues (i.e. replacing surrounding transparency with magenta and solidifying transparencies on top of the graphics) or would there be more involved? Do graphics positions and references in the raw files remain the same? Struggling to find any guides on how to create .BMP graphics packs presumably because .PNGs replaced them long ago. Please excuse my ignorance!
Converting my graphic pack to BMP? That's insane! Don't do that!
I spent A LOT of time transforming my BMP tileset into a PNG tileset. My graphic pack has changed a lot since then, it now has a lot more semi-transparency, and it would take you a ridiculous amount of time to make it look half good as a BMP tileset.

You'll be much better off using either, one of the old BMP tilesets (magenta = BMP, dark magenta = PNG), converting a low-alpha-transparency tileset or graphic pack to BMP (CLA or Mayday are good options I think), or fixing your graphic card problems.

Shrike77

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 24, 2014, 03:29:33 am »

I spent A LOT of time transforming my BMP tileset into a PNG tileset. My graphic pack has changed a lot since then, it now has a lot more semi-transparency, and it would take you a ridiculous amount of time to make it look half good as a BMP tileset.

You'll be much better off using either, one of the old BMP tilesets (magenta = BMP, dark magenta = PNG), converting a low-alpha-transparency tileset or graphic pack to BMP (CLA or Mayday are good options I think), or fixing your graphic card problems.

Thanks for the quick reply. I know it's a little crazy but I've spent so long attempting to fix the underlying graphics card problem that a few days playing with images might actually be good for my sanity. The basic tilesets aren't a massive problem, it's the graphics for dwarves and creatures that are the biggest puzzle. If I took your suggestion of modifying a low-transparency pack to BMP would there be any modifying of data files needed, or simply the transformation of PNGs to BMPs?

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 24, 2014, 04:36:57 pm »

Your gorgeous tileset made me start into DF.
And while I enjoy it in ascii mode... well, I prefer your tileset looks.

i fantasize from time to time to create a romanic - medieval looking tileset, but it won't ever look as well as yours.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 24, 2014, 07:37:39 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply. I know it's a little crazy but I've spent so long attempting to fix the underlying graphics card problem that a few days playing with images might actually be good for my sanity. The basic tilesets aren't a massive problem, it's the graphics for dwarves and creatures that are the biggest puzzle. If I took your suggestion of modifying a low-transparency pack to BMP would there be any modifying of data files needed, or simply the transformation of PNGs to BMPs?
There are no RAW differences between SDL and legacy. But data/init/init.txt is completely different. I don't know, because I never work with legacy, if the SDL init.txt is compatible with legacy.

Shrike77

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 26, 2014, 04:10:18 am »

There are no RAW differences between SDL and legacy. But data/init/init.txt is completely different. I don't know, because I never work with legacy, if the SDL init.txt is compatible with legacy.

Cheers for the info.

I've edited the init.txt file quite a bit so hopefully I can handle that aspect. I'll have a go at modifying an existing pack then and see what happens. Maybe I'll be helping a multitude of legacy DF players that so far have been as frustrated as me.

Or maybe it's just me...
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 52