Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 52

Author Topic: [0.40.24v00] Phoebus' Graphic Set  (Read 422766 times)

surazal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.24v00] Phoebus' Graphic Set
« Reply #720 on: January 16, 2018, 08:59:11 pm »

Hello, I had a question about a recent update recent to Phoebus and my searches thus far have gotten me stumped.

I run Dwarf Fortress version 44.05 on Linux (64-bit) and I just unzip the Pheobus pack on top of it. I noticed that after 44.04 (and 44.05 right afterwards) was released, when I unzipped Phoebus on of it I saw that it came with some configuration changes to accommodate TWBT. All fine and good, but one minor problem I've noticed is that it's enabled variable-width fonts in both the main menu and in certain areas of the main game itself. The main problems I have with this is that 1) the fonts are often very small and hard to read compared with the regular text and 2) they don't always play well with the game itself. The variable-width text doesn't always render very well and doesn't align properly within the borders of the game sub-menus. Whitespace often overwrites other areas of the screen causing blank areas to appear where other text or game graphics should appear.

I think the best way to address this problem is to disable the variable-width fonts while still keeping Phoebus and TWBT enabled. Barring that, I'm open to disabling TBWT entirely, but again I'm not entirely sure how to do that either. I have tried changing the tilesets configured in the init.txt file both within the data/init and the data/twbt_init directories, but oddly they don't have any effect on the game itself. It seems like TWBT is overriding the tileset settings and rendering the variable width fonts and ignoring those changes. So, I'm kind of stumped. Ultimately, I'd prefer just the fixed width text if at all possible.

Below are screenshots of the main menu and the military screen within the game itself. Note how in the military screen chunks of text are missing in the right-most column. Sometimes the game refreshes and the text reappears but this can take anywhere between several seconds or even a few minutes.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: January 16, 2018, 09:46:10 pm »

What you're seeing is vanilla DF's Truetype feature, which can only be enabled in the 2D print mode (and similar ones like 2DSW). In other words, you do not have TWBT enabled, because that requires OpenGL (the STANDARD print mode), so Truetype and TWBT cannot possibly be enabled at the same time. To enable TWBT, change your PRINT_MODE setting in data/init/init.txt to TWBT.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

surazal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: January 16, 2018, 10:00:47 pm »

What you're seeing is vanilla DF's Truetype feature, which can only be enabled in the 2D print mode (and similar ones like 2DSW). In other words, you do not have TWBT enabled, because that requires OpenGL (the STANDARD print mode), so Truetype and TWBT cannot possibly be enabled at the same time. To enable TWBT, change your PRINT_MODE setting in data/init/init.txt to TWBT.

Ah HA. That did the trick! Thanks for the quick reply! No wonder I wasn't getting anywhere; I was barking up the wrong tree. Much appreciated!

Firebird766

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 05, 2018, 11:32:01 pm »

Hello! I'm not sure what happened, but when I installed the updated Dwarf Fortress and the latest version of this graphics pack, I somehow lost the images for floodgates and up/down stairs. Instead of nice images, they're ugly X things. How can I fix this? I started with the Lazy Newb Pack, then downloaded this graphics pack directly to try to fix things, but it didn't work.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 05, 2018, 11:41:18 pm »

Sorry about that. The TWBT content isn't installed by default anymore. It's so that the twbt version and non-twbt versions can have slightly different versions of the files that are better optimized for them. You'll probably want to override the non-TWBT versions with the TWBT versions.

• Copy the contents of the /data/art/ folder into Dwarf Fortress' /data/art/ folder.
 • Copy the contents of the /data/init/ folder into Dwarf Fortress' /data/init/ folder.
 • Copy the contents of the /raw/objects/ folder into Dwarf Fortress' /raw/objects/ folder.*
 • Copy the contents of the /raw/graphics/ folder into Dwarf Fortress' /raw/graphics/ folder.*

These last two steps will need to be repeated in the "raw" folders of any existing save files you have.

Then finally right-click to download this file (onLoad_gfx.init) and place it in your Dwarf Fortress directory. Or actually you might have this file already if you downloaded it from the repo. It's just a text file that runs the "twbt unit_transparency 1" command to get the cool background for creatures feature of TWBT.

Firebird766

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: March 05, 2018, 11:51:49 pm »

Thank you! I got the graphics to work, but it won't let me download that file. If it's just text I can copypaste it where it needs to go though. Where, exactly, do I need to put it? Like, what's the actual file name?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 06, 2018, 12:43:32 am »

It needs to start with "onLoad" and end with ".init". The one included in the repo is in the "raw" folder, but it works a little better from the root Dwarf Fortress directory.

Firebird766

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 06, 2018, 07:16:16 pm »

Aha! It works! Thanks again!

Baleur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: May 26, 2018, 09:08:47 pm »

Thank you guys soooooooo much for keeping this up to date.
It is my favorite pack by far. Feel free to try out my colorscheme if you enjoy more muted warm muddy colors.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: May 26, 2018, 10:12:41 pm »

Thank you guys soooooooo much for keeping this up to date.
It is my favorite pack by far. Feel free to try out my colorscheme if you enjoy more muted warm muddy colors.

That looks good. Here's a couple of comparison shots of the Phoebus color palette compared to the Baleur-Vherid_Miskha-Bone color palette:

Spoiler: Arena Phoebus (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Nature Phoebus (click to show/hide)

Baleur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: May 27, 2018, 12:12:34 am »

Side-by-side didnt realize how arid my green grass was, nor how turqoise the river was.
But i've embarked in some biomes where the rivers have been darker blue. I tuned my color on an embark in a quite hot tropical area :D
Contemplating making the white less bone-colored, and the green / blue less yellow / turqoise.

Edit: yep, modified it a bit. It used to just be a merger of the above mentioned ones, but frankly i prefer it a bit more true to intended colors like this.
Greens a fraction less yellowish, cyans a bit less green, light grey and whites a bit brighter (makes snow look less like ash and text more readable)
Basically just 5 rgb value here and there tweaked, didnt wanna alter the aesthetic too much, but still not have temperate forests look like arid savannah.
Also dark reds fixed, wasnt even aware they were orange, at least now meat in the butchering workshop looks like meat.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 01:09:11 am by Baleur »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: May 29, 2018, 09:13:51 am »

Side-by-side didnt realize how arid my green grass was, nor how turqoise the river was.

I always thought the default Phoebus colors were overly saturated. Yours looks closer to something I would have wanted. I've gotten kind of used to the Phoebus colors, though.

Greens a fraction less yellowish, cyans a bit less green, light grey and whites a bit brighter (makes snow look less like ash and text more readable)

I like the less yellow colors. Yeah, I think it's important to have good differentiation in the four black through white gradients. That's important for text stuff like making the selected item in the menu interface stand out.

Baleur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: May 30, 2018, 04:44:13 am »

Still love having blacks as chocolate brown though, it makes digging into mountains feel so earthy  :D
I'm curious, does this new github updated Phoebus pack have any compatability with the old configurator .exe that used to be included in Phoebus pack? I kind of miss the ability to choose exactly which stone texture or which map textures (for hills etc), and most specifically the smoothed wall textures, i miss the angled ones that look a bit more dwarven than the smooth rounded corners it defaults to.

Remember what i'm talking about? That old app that showed you an image of the texture atlas and let you pick various alternates.
But i suppose that would be even more work, unless the .exe could be updated to understand TWBT with the transparency.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 04:45:44 am by Baleur »

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: June 30, 2018, 12:43:32 pm »

whew. freaked out a bit when I couldn't find a 44.11 download on the forum.

But it's on the github.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

firsal

• Bay Watcher
  • A thin creature prone to great ambition
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: July 11, 2018, 05:38:44 am »

Is there a version of this available for DF 0.44.12?
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 52