Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52

Author Topic: [0.40.24v00] Phoebus' Graphic Set  (Read 422789 times)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.24v00] Phoebus' Graphic Set
« Reply #750 on: February 20, 2020, 07:32:51 pm »

i'd prefer a rather raceneutral altar - so that it can also look fitting when playing as human.

The one jecowa posted above is very reminiscent of alters for burnt offerings,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
or
which is appropriate, as currently there are only metal altars.

The ones I'm suggesting are more reminiscent of stone altars, like this
or this
which we may be getting, but they're all quite definitely human, historical styles.

You can also make stone and wood altars at the carpentery and craftsdwarfery. I'm not sure about glass.

some more stuff:

It's not exactly the same, but here's what I was going for:
Spoiler: inspiration (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 07:37:37 pm by jecowa »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: February 24, 2020, 06:32:51 am »

the top one doesn't look to specific human, dwarven or elvfish in style.
i especially meant the decorations on them etc.
if it looked specifically egyptian or japanese, that might have been strange to be the altar for all races.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: February 26, 2020, 01:23:45 am »

the top one doesn't look to specific human, dwarven or elvfish in style.
i especially meant the decorations on them etc.
if it looked specifically egyptian or japanese, that might have been strange to be the altar for all races.

Is this what you mean by the top one?:

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 02, 2020, 02:24:10 pm »

Hey, Phoebus peoples.  I have a question.

I play DF really sporadically, returning once every 4-6 years...

The last time I played was in Feb 2016, with the cutting edge starter packs of that time, which had just introduced advanced features of taverns, temples and libraries, with instruments and bookmaking etc.  I had loaded up the old save to see what I'd been doing and brush up on the game again.

I'm playing now on the last stable release, linked from here, which is 0.44.12-r08.  I believe this is from 2018.  I know the new "villains" update is out, but I prefer to play on the most stable release I can, so I'm fine with this.

However, I have noticed that the graphics (which is Phoebus default on both of them) are different between the two.  That old cutting edge 2016 pack has better graphics in some ways than the newer one!

Old pack:

Latest stable release:

Coffins return to zeroes, both floodgates and up/down stairs revert to a simple X, and farm plots look worse.  There are a number of other differences visible too, like you can see the wheelbarrows, bins and forges are different.

Does anyone know why this might be?  Like...was there some weird dispute over who owned the art and it got reverted at some point?

I looked through the art file folder and couldn't find those old better graphics anywhere.  I don't know where the game is pulling them from.

Any ideas?

EDIT:  I see someone had a similar issue a few pages back in 2017.  Is this really a bug that has persisted this long...?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 02:35:14 pm by UncleSporky »

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 02, 2020, 03:12:22 pm »

The upper screenshot appears to have TWBT enabled, a dfhack utility that adds a lot of graphical features. If you install the new version via the LNP, it should install it automatically, I think.
Phoebus isn't active anymore, by the way. The tileset is maintained mostly by Jecowa. Releases are here:

https://github.com/DFgraphics/Phoebus
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 02, 2020, 03:25:48 pm »

The upper screenshot appears to have TWBT enabled, a dfhack utility that adds a lot of graphical features. If you install the new version via the LNP, it should install it automatically, I think.
Phoebus isn't active anymore, by the way. The tileset is maintained mostly by Jecowa. Releases are here:

https://github.com/DFgraphics/Phoebus

TWBT is enabled by default, in its default mode, on both packs.  Both of them are "out of the box" Lazy Newb Pack/Starter Pack.

DFHack readout when launching the latest stable:

In the TWBT thread people are talking about running version 6.61 so it sounds like that is one of the latest versions.

Both launchers side by side:

Anyway I don't know where the failing is here primarily...maybe PeridexisErrant, maybe DFHack.  I should probably ask in one of those threads instead, I thought it might be a graphic pack-related thing at first though.  But I just think this would tend to be a pretty visible thing since it's completely default Lazy Newb Pack behavior for anyone who downloads it as of right now.

And I know Phoebus isn't active, that's why I said hey Pheobus peoples.  :P  Hey Phoebus maintainers, I suppose.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 03:46:40 pm by UncleSporky »

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 02, 2020, 04:11:39 pm »

Anyway I don't know where the failing is here primarily...maybe PeridexisErrant, maybe DFHack.  I should probably ask in one of those threads instead, I thought it might be a graphic pack-related thing at first though.  But I just think this would tend to be a pretty visible thing since it's completely default Lazy Newb Pack behavior for anyone who downloads it as of right now.

And I know Phoebus isn't active, that's why I said hey Pheobus peoples.  :P  Hey Phoebus maintainers, I suppose.
Oh sorry, I misread that.

Yeah, no idea. looks like it should work. You mighrated your save right? Maybe you were overwriting a file you shouldn't have or the new version is expecting a different folder/file structure. Try doing a clean install in a new folder without migrating your save. Start a new fort and try building a coffin and some stairs. That should allow you eliminate the save migration as cause.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 02, 2020, 05:16:02 pm »

You might try double clicking Phoebus 16x while TWBT is enabled to reinstall the TWBT version of the pack. Don't worry if it can't install it into your save folder, we just need it installed into the data folder

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 02, 2020, 05:31:11 pm »

Oh sorry, I misread that.

Yeah, no idea. looks like it should work. You mighrated your save right? Maybe you were overwriting a file you shouldn't have or the new version is expecting a different folder/file structure. Try doing a clean install in a new folder without migrating your save. Start a new fort and try building a coffin and some stairs. That should allow you eliminate the save migration as cause.

Initially I did not migrate my save and started fresh with default settings, and noticed the graphical difference.  Then I migrated the old save to be able to demonstrate it side by side with the screenshot.

You might try double clicking Phoebus 16x while TWBT is enabled to reinstall the TWBT version of the pack. Don't worry if it can't install it into your save folder, we just need it installed into the data folder

I just did this and it didn't make any difference.

Has anyone else tried a fresh new default install of the LNP?  The old stable and the latest alpha are the same way.  But I understand that many people probably customize the game to their liking and don't use the packs.

I will probably ask in the LNP thread, thanks for trying some tech support but this doesn't seem to be the Phoebus pack's fault.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 02, 2020, 06:50:07 pm »

Are you getting an error when you launch the game concerning TWBT mode being unrecognized when you launch the game? If so, you might not have TWBT installed or it might be disabled. The TWBT plugin would be in your /Dwarf fortress/hack/plugins/ folder. And you can enabled and disabled DFHack from the DFHack tab of the LNP launcher.

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: March 02, 2020, 07:09:45 pm »

No errors, and TWBT is definitely on and working because one of the main things it does is the awesome multi-layer view, which is working (in both the old 2016 game and the new game):

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: March 02, 2020, 08:08:13 pm »

You might need to install the /data/twbt_art/ and /data/twbt_init/ files into your /data/art/ and /data/init/ folders. You can download it from here: https://github.com/DFgraphics/Phoebus/releases

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: March 02, 2020, 08:45:41 pm »

That fixes it!

The data/twbt_art/ and data/twbt_init/ are already present in the pack.  I just copied and pasted everything in those two folders into data/art/ and data/init/.  Overwriting init.txt meant I had to reset a lot of the settings, but yeah, that fixes the graphics.  I did not play long so I don't know if doing this copy and overwrite breaks anything else in the game or introduces bugs/glitches.  I may only have needed to copy overrides.txt.

It looks like all or nearly all the assets that were missing were from _Items.png.  This is present in the old pack's data but was over in the twbt_art folder in the new one.  Looks like the old pack didn't even have twbt_art, it was all just already installed that way.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: March 31, 2020, 05:56:19 am »

It's a Legacy Windows Bitmap (.BMP) version of Phoebus. Especially for use with the Legacy Windows Legacy edition of Dwarf Fortress– the most particular version of Dwarf Fortress ever. REAL 24-bit png color (not 32-bit with fancy-schmancy alpha channel). And REAL RGB color (not ghetto-old indexed).

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/h7s5fuhqslidcoc/Phoebus-Legacy.zip/file

More Windows Bitmap than ever before. Two scoops of Magenta.

Installation:
  • Copy the contents of the \Phoebus-Legacy\data\init\ folder into your \Dwarf Fortress\data\init\ folder.
  • Copy the contents of the \Phoebus-Legacy\data\art\ folder into your \Dwarf Fortress\data\art\ folder.
  • Copy the contents of the \Phoebus-Legacy\raw\objects\ folder into your \Dwarf Fortress\raw\objects\ folder.
  • Copy the contents of the \Phoebus-Legacy\raw\graphics\ folder into your \Dwarf Fortress\raw\graphics\ folder.
  • And if you have any existing saves you want to use this with, Copy the contents of the \Phoebus-Legacy\raw\graphics\ folder into your \Dwarf Fortress\data\save\regionx\raw\graphics\ folders.
  • And if the worlds of your existing saves that you want to use this with were created with Dwarf Fortress v0.47, Copy the contents of the \Phoebus-Legacy\raw\objects\ folder into your \Dwarf Fortress\data\save\regionx\raw\objects\ folders.

Works with normal SDL Dwarf Fortress too!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 06:27:49 am by jecowa »

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: March 31, 2020, 12:24:15 pm »

Cheers for making the effort to support users with older hardware!
Team Bug Fix!
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52