Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Suggestion: Implementing race in LCS  (Read 12490 times)

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Implementing race in LCS
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2014, 01:30:41 pm »

L+ should automatically change the words "Black" with "African American" and "White" with "Caucasian", regardless on whether it would be correct (like describing the colour of a car) or not.

And Jew/Christian/Muslim/Baha'i should be covered under a separate "religion" category, with them having some bearing on interactions for each other. So say (at risk of offending someone, which is what happens whenever you discuss this game), a Christian conservative that's more Christian then conservative might be more accepting of a Christian liberal where he would otherwise be punching out anybody else, more so then his so called fellow "Muslim Conservative", and each religion would have subtly different policies on what is considered sufficiently "liberal" or "conservative" depending on their political bent in tandem with their beliefs. So say, there's a significant amount of Muslim and Christian conservatives, and they manage to get C+? Well, both sides will argue over what is "sufficiently C+", and might possibly spark a holy civil war with each other, leading to both religions (on the conservative end, that is) becoming hostile with each other. This would add another dimension to gameplay, and would make it important to "equally represent" all religions as the LCS, lest the same thing happens to you.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2014, 06:16:10 pm »

L+ should automatically change the words "Black" with "African American" and "White" with "Caucasian", regardless on whether it would be correct (like describing the colour of a car) or not.

And at C+ "Black" would be replaced by "Coloured" - "Negro" would be very controversial and "coloured" is already used.

And Jew/Christian/Muslim/Baha'i should be covered under a separate "religion" category, with them having some bearing on interactions for each other. So say (at risk of offending someone, which is what happens whenever you discuss this game), a Christian conservative that's more Christian then conservative might be more accepting of a Christian liberal where he would otherwise be punching out anybody else, more so then his so called fellow "Muslim Conservative", and each religion would have subtly different policies on what is considered sufficiently "liberal" or "conservative" depending on their political bent in tandem with their beliefs. So say, there's a significant amount of Muslim and Christian conservatives, and they manage to get C+? Well, both sides will argue over what is "sufficiently C+", and might possibly spark a holy civil war with each other, leading to both religions (on the conservative end, that is) becoming hostile with each other. This would add another dimension to gameplay, and would make it important to "equally represent" all religions as the LCS, lest the same thing happens to you.

I don't think religion should influe on which policies are Conservative or Liberal.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2014, 06:40:10 pm »

I don't think religion should influe on which policies are Conservative or Liberal.

Nope, but it should influence how conservatives act towards each other. Say that there's this policy called "Freedom of Religion". At C+, only the religion that has the dominate conservative population is legal, with all other religions being persecuted (including fellow conservatives), leading to the above civil war scenario if there is a particularly large minority of other religions. This would in turn make it easier for the LCS to convert even hard-line conservatives to their cause if they're among the persecuted, because the enemy of their enemy is their friend, no?
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2014, 06:11:30 pm »

Even though this may seem racist (and probably is) maybe we could also attribute race into stat and skill generation. Like black people could have high agility, start with street smarts, and other such racial stereotypes.

You are sort of misunderstanding the parody of Liberal Crime Squad so to speak.

Think of it as a maddened vision of what America is to someone who is extremely Liberal lacking all ambiguity and self awareness. Where Liberalism is the savior of the world and Conservatism is purest evil.

I do understand where you are coming from in that you are going for a satire of the stereotypes within American presented so that the viewer can see how ridiculous they really are. Yet that isn't what Liberal Crime Squad is.

Liberal Crime Squad isn't EXACTLY a parody of politics as a whole but rather just a look at an extreme. Heck the fact that the Conservatives don't seem to throw more curveballs by actually affecting the political system directly is astounding (though that is more a gaming convention in my mind... BOY would the game be unfair if the Conservatives could brainwash the president)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 06:27:07 pm by Neonivek »

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2014, 04:31:36 pm »

I really like this idea and think its pretty true to the spirit of the game.

"You didn't find a taxi, but you found a Caucasian SUV"
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2014, 06:52:16 pm »

But I like my cars African American.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2014, 04:30:14 am »

I really like this idea and think its pretty true to the spirit of the game.

"You didn't find a taxi, but you found a Caucasian SUV"

I'm pretty certain race just disappears at L+, but that would be a nice parody of political correctness.  Maybe L level?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2014, 06:33:13 am »

The game is more of a parody of liberal extremism done in a style of how those very same people would make the game if they lacked total self-awareness.

I doubt political correctness is part of the liberal agenda :P
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 06:34:56 am by Neonivek »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2014, 11:53:00 pm »

Yeah, just pointing out that "African-American" and "Caucasian" SUVs is both silly and probably offensive.  It's a parody that Conservatives would make.

Another issue of implementing race is that the current LCS standard regards race almost exclusively in job hiring.  Which makes sense, but does limit the discussion.

I've also failed to properly read the current text for L+ race relations.  If anyone has it, it would probably help the discussion.  From what I recall, it doesn't call for blind equality at more liberal levels but rather promoting the under represented.

In today's world, you can see the differences in how begrudgingly/willing/desperate employers are to hire minorities.
"As per the law, we are an equal opportunity employer"
"We accept skilled applicants of any ethnicity, religion, creed, or origin"
"We promote diversity in our workplace"

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2014, 01:54:25 pm »

While viewing some files on this website, I found the following, commented out, in the creaturenames.cpp file:

Code: [Select]
//}}}
/* else if(nametable == GENDER_MALE_IMMIGRANT)
// {{{ Illegal Immigrants
{
switch(roll)
{
case 0:strcat(str,"Alejandro");break;
case 1:strcat(str,"Antonio");break;
case 2:strcat(str,"Beltran");break;
case 3:strcat(str,"Carlos");break;
case 4:strcat(str,"Diego");break;
case 5:strcat(str,"Eduardo");break;
case 6:strcat(str,"Enrique");break;
case 7:strcat(str,"Fernando");break;
case 8:strcat(str,"Jacobo");break;
case 9:strcat(str,"Javier");break;
case 10:strcat(str,"Jorge");break;
case 11:strcat(str,"Juan");break;
case 12:strcat(str,"Luis");break;
case 13:strcat(str,"Matteo");break;
case 14:strcat(str,"Pablo");break;
case 15:strcat(str,"Pedro");break;
case 16:strcat(str,"Raul");break;
case 17:strcat(str,"Ricardo");break;
}
}
// }}}
else if(nametable == GENDER_FEMALE_IMMIGRANT)
// {{{ Illegal Immigrants, Female
{
switch(roll)
{
case 0:strcat(str,"Daniela");break;
case 1:strcat(str,"Denielle");break;
case 2:strcat(str,"Esmerelda");break;
case 3:strcat(str,"Gabrielle");break;
case 4:strcat(str,"Isabel");break;
case 5:strcat(str,"Isabella");break;
case 6:strcat(str,"Isabelle");break;
case 7:strcat(str,"Maria");break;
case 8:strcat(str,"Natalia");break;
case 9:strcat(str,"Roberta");break;
}
}
// }}}
*/
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2014, 09:43:20 pm »

That's some ugly frikkin code. Not even an array or anything.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]