Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sanctuary RPG (Greenlit and Available on Steam)  (Read 11638 times)

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sanctuary RPG (Greenlit and Available on Steam)
« on: March 16, 2014, 11:07:25 am »

The new black edition is $5. The old version is the 'demo' on steam.

This a roguelike RPG. It has an interesting twist. You don't actually move around in a dungeon. You pick where you want to go and you have encounters. There is also crafting, own a pub, etc... rather complex character builds. Its very easy to get into and very easy to die.

Company page: http://www.sanctuaryrpg.com/
Steam : ($5, get demo for the previous version) http://store.steampowered.com/app/328760/
Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/sanctuaryrpg

new features. they are still developing this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Druid Class Tips

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 03:51:24 pm by guessingo »

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sanctuary RPG (Surprising addictive Roguelike)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 12:46:22 pm »

This looks very cool. Going to check this out, thanks.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 11:24:15 pm »

I finally got time to try this, and i have been surprised as it's much more interesting and enjoyable that i thought it would be.

It's using an interesting system indeed very different from what i am used in roguelikes, in fact it reminds me a lot of those adventure gamebook of old time in which you read and went through branching texts and fought monsters with dices.

But it has in the same time much more content and gameplay mechanics than those old gamebooks and has a lot more elements that together makes the game really good.

Though at first i was more thinking "what i am playing" when after creating my character i got that panel, as the game has a lot of humourus parts, though not always really subtile too :

:D

It's a very good game, give it a try, and the potential is really there too if the developer continue to improve it.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:26:04 pm by Robsoie »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 11:32:31 pm »

That backstory sounds like what a player would write for a Conan MMO.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 11:45:59 pm »

You know odd players then :D

Anyways, on my first run, my guy managed to survive enough to reach level 5 , found some nice piece of items, even found some keystone to open a portal to a random dungeon, destroyed in there a giant robot, but near dead he had to retreat from there to heal.

Then, exploring more before going for the 2nd quest he ran into a raven.
And got utterly annihilated by it, after beating down big aurochs, rude skeletons and various other things, a bit disapointed by his heroic performance.

So i re-rolled another barbarian to see if he could get less embarassed.

ok, nothing odd.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:48:11 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 12:31:22 pm »

For the 2 or 3 guys here that are still playing this underrated little gem, you can listen the nicely done soundtrack there :
http://rafaelsmith.bandcamp.com/album/srpg-the-original-soundtrack

old school sounds that goes very well with the game.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 12:53:11 pm »

Gaze upon me and tremble. I'm in act 2, with the enemy levels cranked up to 5.

I can crush enemies with millions of HP thanks to 'Immolate' which somehow annihilates anything as long as I can continue to re cast it and tank/dodge damage.

Come at me.

Oh, and you can end up owning that tavern, by the way. This game is rad.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 01:47:22 pm »

Those backstories would be perfect with the Law & Order "GONG GONG" at the end.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 02:40:25 pm »

Impressive character Mictlantecuhtli, i didn't managed to survive in taking out all the bandit bosses on the 2nd quest, i'm far from getting at that point you are.

It's not even them that destroy my character, but me decided to adventure "just one more time before getting the last bandit camp guy" and running into something that annihilate my character (and using the "classic" gametype and its permadeath do not help :D )

I was surprised in one of the random event encounter tough, the one related with the tavern, rather hilarious :D

That said, i'm not sure what's going on with those potatoes references i'm running into during exploration or events and the developer of that game.

edit : those backstories are not really getting any better for my characters ;)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 03:31:28 pm by Robsoie »

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 03:16:00 pm »

Posting to watch, the back stories are hilarious and I have a mighty need to play this when I get home.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 03:33:51 pm »

Before going to adventure/boss gate/blacksmith/shop/etc... be sure to check the "illustration" above (as it change from time to time after each action), sometime there's one or 3 chests with a green number, type the number to open it, sometime there's some building with a green X , type X to actually enter it and trigger an "event" , etc...

edit : Oh and some of those monsters are really rude and have no respect.

teached that thing a lesson on kicking things

and i didn't noticed up to then, but the game gives you "hints" when there's a monster encounter

... well ... ok.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 06:33:28 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 12:04:59 am »

Looks like my character despite her "odd" backstory is getting very good.

Managed to complete the Act 1 :

then in the middle of Act 2 finally the blacksmith manged to forge something awesome from the bunch of metal scrap i was giving him (1 awesome yes ... but for hundred of crap not corresponding to my weapon skill of chocie i must say)

And finally completed Act 2 after long bunch of battles against hundred of robots with insane amount of health

And not yet started on the Act 3 but the repeated grinding got me too bored to continue.

Some observations

Grind , grind and grind again, that's the secret to not get killed. Go back to locations explored already, do not rush for the next that will appear, you really need to get more levels.

Battles become longer and longer due to the enemies getting a ton more health as the game progress, be sure to "reposition" regularly to break the enemy guarding (extremely annoying game mechanic to me as the enemy is guarding nearly every turns) or it will take even longer, and only hit when they don't have their guard up.

Before getting in a new or a boss area, go fight again some enemies in previous locations, your goal is to have your most powerful "ultimate" ready most of the time you'll get into a new battle.
That gauge only increase , very slowly, so you'll have to hit a lot to get it filled, the 1st ultimate will be completely useless after some point (as at that point of the game the enemy have too much health to even notice its damage), so continue getting the gauge up with weak enemies until you get the higher version that deal absurdly high damage .

This way you'll be able to fight those silly bosses and be able to halve or more their gigantic amount of health in a single turn, lowering a bit the tedium of fighting them endlessly

Heal regularly, as the enemy have an "ultimate" or two gauge too (reposition usually helps to lower it) and can then deal high damage in a burst sometime, so don't get caught with low health when it happens.

Do not overlook the crafting, learn to control that minigame and you'll get some really good items that when you obtain them of really great quality will be better than what you'll find.
Weapons can only be crafted by the blacksmith, so don't hesitate to go give him your metal scrap when possible and hope he'll give you something good (depending on the game stage i guess) or at least that correspond to your weapon masteries.

The grinding part that is dominant in this game reminds me strongly of those candy box 1 and 2 , SanctuaryRPG is really a mix of many genre.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 12:08:49 am »

You don't need to grind at all after you're able to get Immolation [don't choose either of the other magics]. I can beat enemies with millions of health in >10 rounds, no problem, as long as they can't one-shot me. I'm excited to see where this goes, though!
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 12:16:54 am »

I got immolation a lot earlier during the game progression

But since then it have never appear anywhere in my available skills list during a battle.

I wish i could kill things faster, but that's not the case with those skills, take a long time (especially as nearly every turns they're guarding)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 12:19:31 am »

I got immolation a lot earlier during the game progression

But since then it have never appear anywhere in my available skills list during a battle.

"S"  :)

Pages: [1] 2 3