Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: High frequency/competitive succession game!  (Read 3429 times)

sangennaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
High frequency/competitive succession game!
« on: March 16, 2014, 11:35:56 am »

Welcome!

A succession game with the following features: 1) some form of competition among Overseers; 2) somewhat high frequency in turn succession.

Rules:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Details on the formula usage:

Turn list:

Embark site & infos:

End of turn saves:

Overseers score:

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 07:42:40 pm by sangennaro »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: High frequency/competitive succession game!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 11:39:59 am »

hmm... sounds interesting.  Sign me up.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 09:51:58 pm »

I'm in
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 07:00:07 am »

sounds great, as long as the time window doesn't get any smaller!  Add me to the list.. if there is one..
Do you mean to have several overseers running one world concurrently, to see who can get the best points?
That sounds good to me, but if not, how do you intend to make it fair for overseers coming in and getting a well developed fort? (or is that the challenge of the last overseer hehehe)
some questions for the points:
what do you mean by food/drink problems?
Also, do non notable kills count for points?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 07:04:45 am by neblime »
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 12:33:46 pm »

And what happens if the overseer doesn't notice/know when their dwarf died?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 01:56:07 pm »

And what happens if the overseer doesn't notice/know when their dwarf died?

Save the file every time a caravan comes through - if your character died a few caravans ago and you didn't notice, legends mode will set the record straight.  Next player just picks up the save from the most recent caravan after the last guy's character has died.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

sangennaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 07:33:21 pm »

@4maskwolf : thank you for joining this game!

@Timeless Bob : thank you for joining as well!

@neblime : actually this is still a succession game, so same fort end your turn post a save, next Overseer will pick it up. The idea of playing the same fort concurrently is fascinating, we should elaborate on that. I'm not sure to understand your question about the fairness, but maybe this will answer at least partially your question:

#1 players have no incentive in leaving a fort in a troubled condition (dwarves killed, food/drink problems for example reduce their score).
#2 If you start your turn with a well developed fort your "Score Multiplier" is higher, right... but the higher "Score Multiplier" is a reward for the riskier turn you took (wealth attracts evil, population is a proxy for overall complexity, as time pass the higher the chance of fun!).

I have detailed the rules, so a food/drink problem is a situation in which the end-of-turn stats describe a stock of those lower than 20 (each).

About kills, actually I haven't decided yet, but I'm inclined to think that only notable kills should count. If you have any arguments against this, please share them!

@TalonisWolf I would say Timeless Bob suggestion is a good one. And, be careful about your in-game representation!

I'll start my turn tomorrow and take my 4 days window. If anybody wants to take the first turn, please just download the embark save and go ahead. Just send me a PM, and let the 4 day turn start! I hope we'll all enjoy this :D

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 11:37:58 pm »

Here's a thought:
Suppose each save file represents a basic scenario.  There's a term for something like that: "Level".
If the player with the highest score was placed next to that save file (along with their score and a link to the save file proving it), then people could pick and choose which score they wanted to try to beat by downloading the starter save file and playing it until a certain in-game period.  (I mean, they could play it longer, obviously, but only the stuff up to a certain cut-off point would count towards the score.  Without proof in a save file, it doesn't count.)

What we're making here will become the "starter save files" until !FUN! Destroys the fort, at which time all that remains is to beat previous scores by making "alternate histories".

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii