Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What about a outer space fortress mod?  (Read 2952 times)

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
What about a outer space fortress mod?
« on: March 17, 2014, 07:54:23 am »

Hi. I'm not a modder and I don't have a clue on how to even get started, but an idea hit me for a mod I'd like to see. I searched and haven't found anything, so I thought I'd ask to see what kind of answers I'd get. So here it goes?

What about a mod where you're making a space colony? You would start with a small one-room "building" in the middle of a black void. The void would kill you if breached without proper equipment (space suits and the like), but would have things like meteors and small planetoids that could be mined for mineral resources.

You would spend time, building onto the space station, adding areas such as hydroponic gardens, bars, residential areas and the like. You'd have to make room to accomodate refugees coming in by ship and would have to contend with space pirates coming to attack you and things like meteor storms, comets, horrible alien monstrosities and the like.

So what do you think? again, I wouldn't know where to begin, so I'm giving the idea away for someone to try and have fun with.
You are never lost as long as you have a trusty and reliable Compass. Mine kept pointing North, so I just removed the red Needle! Problem solved!

Then I proceeded to pick up the rest of the bunnies, the masterfully crafted bronze statue, and its head. The head will be his trophy... But I need money.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: What about a outer space fortress mod?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 08:20:28 am »

Sounds to me like you're trying to replicate "Spacebase DF-9", which is something that's mostly impossible to do by modding DF.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 08:49:04 am »

I'm π*ππ% sure that this impossible, and at least πππ% sure it would be awesome.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 03:54:08 pm »

well, like I said, I was throwing the idea out there. I've never heard of df-9, so I was unaware that I wasn't being original.
You are never lost as long as you have a trusty and reliable Compass. Mine kept pointing North, so I just removed the red Needle! Problem solved!

Then I proceeded to pick up the rest of the bunnies, the masterfully crafted bronze statue, and its head. The head will be his trophy... But I need money.

rsgm123

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 06:20:54 pm »

You can check out aurora 4x. It is not quite the same in terms of gameplay as df, but it is more complex and has imo a worse GUI. You will love it.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 02:12:25 pm »

The closest you could get is a space colonization sort of mod:

You're migrants would be new space colonists. You'd start on an alien, but habitable planet with just a advance team of space-dorfs, your trusty space ship The WAGON, a few earth creatures and some supplies. From there you'd have to tame the wilds of the alien world, its Flora, Fauna, and minerals. With earth materials and creates coming from your new colonists and a few traders from earth (trade caravans) All the while competing against the indigenous civilizations of the planet.

What I just described: Possible.
What you described: Impossible.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 05:05:18 pm »

What I just described: Exactly what DF is already.
FTFY

Okay, maybe DF isn't space exploration, but all it needs is a re-fluff to fit your description. As in, just say "we're on an alien planet" and you're done. It doesn't effect gameplay at all, which is (presumably) what this thread is asking about.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 07:00:16 pm »

Well you could remove all vanilla workshops and reactions, rename all stones and animals to be alien, create all new weapons and reactions and such. I think that is what he was describing.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 07:51:52 pm »

Yeah, that first bit is the problem.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 08:28:18 pm »

Well you could remove all vanilla workshops and reactions
This you cannot. With a few exceptions, most workshops are hard-coded.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 08:29:36 pm »

this mod idea sounds like it would rely heavy on DFHack

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 01:57:33 am »

You can modify even vanilla features with DFHack

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 08:30:21 am »

No, you cannot. In most cases, DFHack can only add new functionality to the game; it cannot remove it. Any functionality located in virtual class methods can be overridden, but other stuff can only be removed by adding extra logic to undo them.

For example, you can use it to modify the "Add new task" list for a Carpenter's Workshop or a Craftsdwarf's Workshop, but you cannot do the same to a Farmer's Workshop or Loom. The former two workshops generate their job lists dynamically (because they're based on your raws) into a place DFHack can mess with, but the latter two are completely hardcoded.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 08:34:45 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 12:00:25 pm »

You could always just settle in a Terrifying biome. I'm pretty sure what you would find there is the same.  :P
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 01:32:44 pm »

No, you cannot. In most cases, DFHack can only add new functionality to the game; it cannot remove it. Any functionality located in virtual class methods can be overridden, but other stuff can only be removed by adding extra logic to undo them.

For example, you can use it to modify the "Add new task" list for a Carpenter's Workshop or a Craftsdwarf's Workshop, but you cannot do the same to a Farmer's Workshop or Loom. The former two workshops generate their job lists dynamically (because they're based on your raws) into a place DFHack can mess with, but the latter two are completely hardcoded.

Hmm, for some reason I thought you could remove vanilla buildings with DFHack. I stand corrected, sorry for spreading false information.
Pages: [1] 2