Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin/kobold adventurers and hostile towns  (Read 5451 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Goblin/kobold adventurers and hostile towns
« on: March 17, 2014, 07:23:07 pm »

So, I'd been testing some modding involving making goblins and kobolds playable in Adventurer Mode, and noticed some...oddities. After having ensured kobolds could talk properly instead of using utterances (even gave them a proper language file), my kobold adventurer seemed to have an...odd time.

Things went fine initially, people were willing to give me a quest to murder a local vampire, head of some temple. Then things went downhill, the entire entity turning hostile once I neared the temple to hunt down Pope Dracula. I initially assumed this to be a buggy result of my attacking a quest target that was a member of the local entity (plus killing a dozen other guys that attacked me too), but when I decided to bugger off for friendlier pastures, I could never find a town that WASN'T hostile.

Unfortunately, this was before I found out how to check how many civilizations/governments/gangs/etc you've encountered, so I never verified if I'd really found more than 1 human civ or not.

But I got more definitive results with my goblin adventurer. First person I see is after me already, though at first I assumed the nearby ruined buildings meant I was encountering the alleged "survivors in generated ruins are hostile on sight" issue. But after a long flight, I encountered a faraway town, and keep...all were, predictably, hostile on sight.

But then I checked my civ list and found a second human civilization was now on the list, as hostile. Derp.

However, a friend that's been testing my modding efforts mentioned repeatedly playing kobold adventurers and being able to deal with the locals without issue, so I likely just didn't encounter any other civs in my earlier kobold game.

Anyone know what's going on? I'm guessing if one plays an adventurer from an entity with BABY_SNATCHER or ITEM_THIEF (with result in hostility regardless of ethics) then it affects hostility towards adventurers too. Or it might be factoring in ethics only, which would explain why kobolds may or may not draw the anger of humans.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin/kobold adventurers and hostile towns
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 07:30:46 pm »

If you're not playing as an outsider, then your starting civilization plays a factor in how other civilizations regard you.

As you stated, vanilla kobolds and goblins have certain traits that make them easily enemies of most civilizations, at the time the world is generated.

Also, attacking "friendly" civilizations makes so that you become infamous with anyone that observed the act. I would suppose that the best way to get on good terms with the civs is to get back on quests and spreading the good words.
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 07:49:18 pm »

If you're not playing as an outsider, then your starting civilization plays a factor in how other civilizations regard you.

As you stated, vanilla kobolds and goblins have certain traits that make them easily enemies of most civilizations, at the time the world is generated.

Also, attacking "friendly" civilizations makes so that you become infamous with anyone that observed the act. I would suppose that the best way to get on good terms with the civs is to get back on quests and spreading the good words.

Yeah, I did guess that some element of the parent civ that caused this.

I'm unsure if it's ethics or the hostility-causing tokens that cause this. If it's the tags than that means that babysnatcher causes hostility, but not item thief or skulking, as it seems like humans are friendly to kobold civilizations under normal circumstances. It would make more sense if the ethics were responsible, since kobolds are slightly closer in morality to humans than goblins.

I'll need to start more adventurers to test this.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 08:04:03 pm »

Okay, odd update. I just started another goblin adventurer, and he started off friendly to the local humans. But I discovered that I would move-attack the locals, whereas a human adventurer has to aim-attack the villagers instead. Further testing revealed that elves and dwarves would likewise not move-attack the local humans, but kobolds will. This implies hostility-enforcing tokens will make you willing to move-attack would-be hostiles while being friendly by default.

This seems to imply that humans aren't hostile to goblin adventurers by default, as I might've fucked things up by move-attacking someone in my prior goblin game. But this makes things kinda anomalous in that a goblin can still get attacked on sight in another civilziation. Unless attacking ANY human makes you hostile to humans all over the planet? I thought other entities wouldn't known what you did in faraway lands?

EDIT: Okay, what the shit. I did some mucking about with entity tokens to see what made goblins and kobolds willing to move-attacki non-hostile humans. First I toyed with removing the BABYSNATCHER and ITEM_THIEF tags, when genned a new world. No change. So then I genned a new world without said tag, while also changing the goblin ethics to mirror human ones. Nope.

So then I started with new raws and tried to removing LOCAL_BANDITRY instead, noticing that was in both the goblin and kobold entities, but not on the other major races. Somehow that worked, trying to bump into the locals just wasted turns instead of attacking.

After making another adventurer to test this again, and verifying I was in human towns rather than any freak occurances of human-dominated goblin towns, I've somehow found the cause of this.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 10:50:25 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD