Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 40

Author Topic: Webcomics thread  (Read 78802 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Webcomics thread
« Reply #390 on: October 10, 2017, 03:05:48 am »

They did Widdershins afterwards, which seems almost over. I find it... requires effort to get through? I found Darken more compelling, aside from when they [spoilered] my favourite character. But Widdershins certainly seems to have its share of interesting magical theory, unusual characters, and, umm, well the villains might be a touch one-dimensional, which may not be a bad thing... but I am following it, and I did stop reading at least one webcomic, so there are things that even I won't follow forever...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 20, 2017, 01:31:43 am »

Plume ended. It is about revenge mostly. Set in the "wild west" but doesn't really have enough background characters to be a "western". There are heavy supernatural elements, but no career spell-casters and the supernatural is more-or-less hidden, so it comes out to be more character quirks than a full magical thing...

Anyway, it is finished, so if you want something to binge on and don't mind a bit of violence and misery, then it offers an ending that could be more sad and a story that could be less entertaining.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 21, 2017, 02:53:44 pm »

ptw
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #393 on: November 28, 2017, 09:22:12 pm »

I'm trying to find some webcomics that I've half-forgotten. It had alternate universes, and a mailman, and I think the mailman's alternate self was important to the plot. Another (or maybe the same?) had timetravel and a scientist whose experiments always exploded and his room-mate's girlfriend was Satan. Does anybody recognize these?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 29, 2017, 12:05:09 am »

I'm trying to find some webcomics that I've half-forgotten. It had alternate universes, and a mailman, and I think the mailman's alternate self was important to the plot. Another (or maybe the same?) had timetravel and a scientist whose experiments always exploded and his room-mate's girlfriend was Satan. Does anybody recognize these?
The second one is Casey and Andy by Casey Grimm and Andy Weir, the latter of Martian fame; basically the "two gamers on a couch" style of comics common back then, only it was mad scientists rather than gamers and the King of Sweden hijacked the couch.  I'm afraid I do not recognize the first off the top of my head.

EDIT:
Oh, speaking of, Andy Weir rebooted Cheshire Crossing, this time with Sarah Andersen of Sarah's Scribbles on the actual art.  Basically, it's what if Dorothy Gale really went to Oz, Alice Liddell really went through the looking glass, and Wendy Darling really went to Neverland.  Have the father of all nuclear physics bring them together with [redacted] as his aide, and this comic is what ensues.

EDIT 2: Actually, it doesn't look like his assistant's identity was revealed immediately in the reboot, so I'll trim that as a spoiler.  There are enough clues just from her speech patterns that a few folks have already guessed, though.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 01:04:43 am by Culise »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #395 on: November 29, 2017, 09:16:49 am »

Thanks, that's the one! And also thanks for the link to the other one, it sounds neat.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #396 on: January 18, 2018, 09:36:44 am »

I can't help but worry today's QC is Jeph winching up the anvil for another heavy-handed author tract, but I hope I'm wrong. Or maybe I'm right but he'll actually handle it well this time.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 18, 2018, 01:25:06 pm »

Jeph does have a pattern.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 18, 2018, 06:25:24 pm »

Wilde Life, second-last panel: in which Clifford realizes he's not quite as subtle as he apparently thought he was.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 22, 2018, 01:58:27 am »

A remarkable comparison of similar scenes by a webcomic artist, nearly 40 years apart:
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20180119#.WmWLLXlG200
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 25, 2018, 06:29:11 am »

I have resigned myself to the fact that questionablecontent takes place in an omnisexual future-utopia where anyone may change their gender or sexual orientation on a whim due to wherever the plot needs them to be.

Still, boy does Jeph pack it in.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 25, 2018, 06:32:58 pm »

I don't think it's a whim so much as a conscious direction. There were quite a few straight characters until fairly recently in the story, they've all been sidelined or just disappeared, or had orientation flips if they're too integral to the plot. Even people who want to bang the robots are only ok if the robots are the same "gender" as them.

Personally I can't wait for the arc that will deal with the male robot's toxic robo-masculinity.

My guess is that when Jeph got married (which I think happened a few years ago), he got into a new social circle pushing for the comic to be more inclusive of fringe identities, but he's pushed that past the point of reasonableness, so now there's basically exclusion of most actual identities. Or at least of the identities of the vast majority of the real-world population.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 07:03:15 pm by Reelya »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #402 on: January 25, 2018, 10:37:25 pm »

Wait, what? How do you mean that most "actual identities" have been excluded? I've seen some trans people, some gay people. No helicopters etc. so far. (although given robots, if the joke weren't so transphobic, it would be possible)

I see that you qualified it, but... sure, there are more LGBTQ+ people than the baseline would suggest, but is that so unusual? And there are still plenty of the Hetcis - the original main character is... fine, he's a bit sidelined, but he's not really excluded. Is it exclusionary to have a comic where most characters are black?
Sigtext!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #403 on: January 25, 2018, 11:05:30 pm »

Wait, what? How do you mean that most "actual identities" have been excluded? I've seen some trans people, some gay people. No helicopters etc. so far. (although given robots, if the joke weren't so transphobic, it would be possible)

I see that you qualified it, but... sure, there are more LGBTQ+ people than the baseline would suggest, but is that so unusual? And there are still plenty of the Hetcis - the original main character is... fine, he's a bit sidelined, but he's not really excluded. Is it exclusionary to have a comic where most characters are black?

I mean, there are no straight people left in the comic except Martin, and to make up for that he's dating a trans woman.

The reason it's weird is that I don't think there's a single neurotypical straight person left besides Martin who we rarely see any more, which is statistically whack.

Edit: I'd also be more willing to give Jeph the benefit of the doubt if it weren't for the dumpster fire of a privilege arc.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 11:22:05 pm by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 25, 2018, 11:43:18 pm »

I don't put much stock in badwebcomicswiki but they did have a theory that Questionable Content is basically an author trapped by their audience and forced to become ever more extreme in the comic's character demographics in order to maintain their fanbase. I don't actually follow the comic so I couldn't lend a personal opinion on the issue...
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 40