Advanced search  

Author Topic: WHAT!?  (Read 1860 times)

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
WHAT!?
« on: March 21, 2014, 01:04:00 pm »

These two events happened within 12 seconds of each other. If someone could explain it to me, I'd be much obliged. Also, now that the fel beastie is a human, do I have anything to fear from it?
You are never lost as long as you have a trusty and reliable Compass. Mine kept pointing North, so I just removed the red Needle! Problem solved!

Then I proceeded to pick up the rest of the bunnies, the masterfully crafted bronze statue, and its head. The head will be his trophy... But I need money.

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT!?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 01:05:11 pm »

Wait, it's a werecreature. I need to look that up. I may be able to answer my own question. All the same...

WHAT!?
You are never lost as long as you have a trusty and reliable Compass. Mine kept pointing North, so I just removed the red Needle! Problem solved!

Then I proceeded to pick up the rest of the bunnies, the masterfully crafted bronze statue, and its head. The head will be his trophy... But I need money.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 01:26:33 pm »

That's a fairly common occurrence: a were creature wandered onto your map and immediately changed back into a human (whether this is a bug or not I'm not sure).  At that point they usually try to run away and won't cause any mischief.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 01:59:48 pm »

You should kill at as quickly as possible so it can't try and come back at a later date.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

vicwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 02:04:01 pm »

Another option would be to capture him and use him to turn dwarves into weredwarves which is always fun.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 02:11:09 pm »

I had a child wereweasel (or maybe it was a weremongoose) once. Seemed like it would be somewhat cute, somehow. It did slash the nose off of a chained pig and transformed back right when it was inside the trap hallway.

Nontheless, I did scramble my military to the entrance in that fort to intercept it.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 06:19:27 pm »

That's a fairly common occurrence: a were creature wandered onto your map and immediately changed back into a human (whether this is a bug or not I'm not sure).  At that point they usually try to run away and won't cause any mischief.
It's not a bug, time goes extremely fast in Fortress Mode, and a werecreature's state is dependent on the phase of the moon.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 07:08:22 pm »

I'm more curious whether or not werecreatures will show up when the phase of the moon is already wrong, and immediately change back because of that.  I've seen so few and never pay attention to the phase of the moon, so I can't say.

Actually, I guess that's not the case.  Won't werecreatures show up in their normal state if the game sends them during the wrong phase of the moon?  Guess that could be considered a bug.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

snjwffl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 09:22:01 pm »

Won't werecreatures show up in their normal state if the game sends them during the wrong phase of the moon?

Yep.  You'll get a message like "The Human <job> <name> has come!  A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition" (usually human, though other races are possible) and they'll show as "friendly" on your units list. (My current fort has existed for 15 years, and I am yet to get a single werebeast in werebeast-form; I've gotten the above message about a dozen times though...)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 09:23:56 pm by snjwffl »