Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I would like to create an apocalypse scenario for a succession game.  (Read 1344 times)

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would like to create a world where the surface temperature is so high it burns everything to ashes instantly.  With temperature turned off,  I would then embark on a site, tunnel into the mountain, seal myself in, and turn temperature back on.  The fledgling colony would then need to survive without any immigration or trade with a surface environment that is deadly to all life.  I tried to generate a world where the temperature is set to the max value in the world gen parameters.  The game crashes or spits out a "No controllable entity definitions available" error.  I have no idea how to create such a world.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: I would like to create an apocalypse scenario for a succession game.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 02:11:28 am »

You can probably make dwarves super heat resistant for the worldgen, then change the raws back.
._.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 09:23:03 am »

is there any locations that are left for the playable civ to spawn? I think high temps mean more tropical and desert biomes, removing most of the other biomes making it hard for worldgen to place a civ that say might need a swamp by a mountain and lake to spawn if all the swamps are gone.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 11:29:12 am »

Hmmmm, I'm not sure you can do exactly what you want to do, to have a temperature that means that basically no civs would spawn, BUT there is a way to mod what you want. So what you could do is remove all the soils and replace them with a "ash" soil. That way your world is literally covered in ash (and you might be able to have a lower level of soil if you wanted it to). Then, in order to make it uninhabitable, you could have a universal (all biomes) weather phenomenon that causes terrible and painful death. Call it "Flaming Ash Storm of Doom" or what have you. But as long as it causes complete lung failure then it should be deadly enough to make the outdoors uninhabitable. I think that would suffice for a post-apocalyptic scenario.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 11:34:30 am »

Apparently 1000u which is the worldgen max for temperature is not that hot.  I would like to set the temperature on my embark site way hotter.  What tool do I need to use to do that?

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 10:36:37 am »

I do recall a series of challenge maps someone made involving excessive temperature. Apparently they just had to change worldgen parameters, but it took 6000+ rejections, so its just a matter of staring at the worldgen screen for hours. Found the thread here in case it helps, thought it was on df 2010 aka v31.25.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=98447

There's probably a better way that I'm not aware of though.

Edit: Ah, never mind.

Stop! Necro time!
If Sol is still compatible with the new version or we can make a new one, I'm interested in how an evil region on Sol would work. Constantly reanimating fire dead people?
Apparently world gen doesn't allow total deathworlds anymore. Shame really.
Though further on in the thread someone also claims just using the max temp range (-1000 to 1000) was enough to make some deadly locations.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 10:40:07 am by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 11:18:40 am »

If you want, I could supply you with my Radiation Mod... which is actually a utility that creates a very diverse set (100+) of randomly generated "mutations" for dwarves to become afflicted with when you embark on the appropriate "irradiated" biome (default is a savage biome, but that's easily changed). Mutations range from tags being added/removed to various afflictions affecting different bodyparts. It's not something I ever released to the public, but, if you really want some serious Fun, this'll do it. Especially when you decide to build the hospital - almost all your dwarves will rush it at once.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 12:35:54 pm »

That sounds interesting Talvieno, can I take a look at that for my Fallout mod?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 01:45:19 pm »

That sounds interesting Talvieno, can I take a look at that for my Fallout mod?
Sure, I'll upload it somewhere and send you the link to it. It's written in a somewhat clunky language, though, and I ought to rewrite it in Java.

Mr Frog came up with the idea for it, I just wrote the program.

Edit: sorry, accidentally sent you a PM without the link in it. Fixed now.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:48:17 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 02:26:22 am »

Know what's fun?  Creeping gas weather made out of rock (or anything with a high boiling point).  They will spawn on a regular basis, start fires, and ignite (or vaporize) whatever they touch.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 08:14:26 am »

Know what's fun?  Creeping gas weather made out of rock (or anything with a high boiling point).  They will spawn on a regular basis, start fires, and ignite (or vaporize) whatever they touch.
Still wish my custom weather interactions actually worked for once >:(