Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: Time for bets. New release date?  (Read 28122 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Time for bets. New release date?
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2014, 01:35:37 pm »

I've figured out why it's taking so long: Toady has been reading this and laughing for hours about how far off we are.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2014, 03:28:06 am »

16 Hours, 17 minutes and 3 seconds from now.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2014, 05:15:04 am »

I find it a bit hilarious how people feel so confident at guessing how bad/abundant (or not!) the bugs Toady is hammering might be.

Truth is, game developing is hard, and bug-fixing is no easy task. Furthermore, the more code you write, the more likely you are to be introducing bugs affecting things you implemented before. This also gets worse and worse as the development goes on and the code-base gets more bloated (as a software developer, I don't even want to know how many thousands of LoC DF hit at this point).

TL;DR; you don't have any idea about the mess code maintenance is, and I mean it in a completely respectful way.
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2014, 05:23:57 am »

I find it a bit hilarious how people feel so confident at guessing how bad/abundant (or not!) the bugs Toady is hammering might be.

Truth is, game developing is hard, and bug-fixing is no easy task. Furthermore, the more code you write, the more likely you are to be introducing bugs affecting things you implemented before. This also gets worse and worse as the development goes on and the code-base gets more bloated (as a software developer, I don't even want to know how many thousands of LoC DF hit at this point).

TL;DR; you don't have any idea about the mess code maintenance is, and I mean it in a completely respectful way.

It was at around 380,000 lines of code at the time of this video interview, and it's surely increased quite a bit in the one and a half years since then :P

0rion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2014, 05:25:57 am »

True.

I don't even want to know how many thousands of LoC DF hit at this point

LoC ? What's this ?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2014, 05:59:09 am »

It stands for "Lines of Code."
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2014, 07:05:51 am »

WHO WANT'S TO CHOP TREES? Because that is the first thing I am gonna do. Clear cut everything, hope for the best. And by best I mean squished dorfs.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2014, 04:09:25 pm »

I would say maybe the tenth of may judging by how things are going or the twelfth at the most but honestly it could come even sooner then either of those.

Also can i sig this?

I mean you can today reasonably expect a dwarf not to put themselves on the wrong side of a flood-gate, or run through fire. That's progress.
But of course.

Anyway, still hoping for mid-June or later, and unlike all the other bets this one merely requires it be delayed until a certain point, making it by far the most likely.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Ketsa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2014, 06:45:21 am »

Late March 2015.

Skyline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2014, 08:40:51 am »

Hey guys,

I've got a question regarding the time after the release...
How long will it probably take to get the new graphics mods/tilesets like Obsidian/Phoebus?

Thanks!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2014, 04:01:37 pm »

They'll probably work out of the box?  I don't use any tilesets, but I suspect that only a few things would need to be added to work, such as the tree limbs and such.

I'm curious about how long it'll take DFHack to get to a working state though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2014, 12:01:17 pm »

14th of June.
That was, to the best of my memory, the release date from my latest DF-centric dream, so I'm going with that.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2014, 12:17:44 pm »

It was finished yesterday.  Unfortunately, the simulation was far too powerful for home use, and was co-opted by the Pentagon for use in training elite anti-goblin forces.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2014, 06:10:41 pm »

It was finished yesterday.  Unfortunately, the simulation was far too powerful for home use, and was co-opted by the Pentagon for use in training elite anti-goblin forces.
God damn government and their fancy shape-buildings and simulation.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2014, 07:10:14 am »

God damn government and their fancy shape-buildings and simulation.
It was the power to build diagonally that finally tipped the scale.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14