Poll

Opinion on the oldschool tileset for creatures:

I don't mind old-school creature set
- 14 (66.7%)
I don't care about tiles for creatures, I play ASCII
- 7 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nostalgia tileset [WIP]  (Read 6953 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Nostalgia tileset [WIP]
« on: March 22, 2014, 08:17:19 am »

Hello, I felt like making an old-school tileset, but I did not finish it yet, so here's a preview.
I always felt that Ultima/old RPG tileset would suit DF well, and may appeal to ASCII players.

Mostly I would like some suggestions regarding old games which could fit the style and serve as an inspiration because I haven't decided on a good tile for furniture (current ones are kinda MEH for me).

This is what the indoors currently look like:

Here's a preview of the outside area:

Any feedback would be appreciated, and stay tuned for the future updates. I've not decided which font would suit well yet, so that's the major thing slowing down the release for now. Later I plan to make tiles for all animals in the same style. I'll make a small poll to see how many people would actually want it for now, since it's something that I should plan and put into my schedule :).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 07:48:56 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Nostalgia tileset (preview)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 09:59:51 am »

It looks very simple and clean. I like it.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgia tileset (preview)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 10:03:00 am »

I always thought that a compromise between ASCII and overly detailed tilesets can be found. I mean Mayday is kinda there, I really adore his work, but I try to make it look closer to my favourite Ultima old series :).

Mostly I started it because I've been working on simple creature tiles for a while, and I needed a tileset to go with them :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgia tileset [WIP]
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 08:22:21 pm »

It's beautiful.  I eagerly anticipate it's arrival!
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 03:01:19 pm »

Neat. Does that mean that you will finish the work that someone around here started with the Ultima9 tileset? And will the RAWs be ascii compatible?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 01:46:14 am »

You mean this?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=132375.msg4711510#msg4711510

It was me :P. And that thread gave me the original idea as well.

Also, this is Ultima9:

I guess you meant something else :).

The raws will be custom, because as you know there are many tiles which are either nothing or special "df letters". I just cannot pass the opportunity to use more tiles :). I will upload both tileset and changed raw files.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 05:43:51 am »

I thought it was Zambaku. I know you posted in the thread, but didnt realize you already did so much.

Why not use phoebus as basis? it already makes good use of most tiles. no need for raw changes. :)

::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 08:18:42 am »

Sometimes when you use something as a basis, it's hard to break away from what it already pre-sets.

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 01:34:32 pm »

elegant and gorgeous

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 03:51:46 pm »

I thought it was Zambaku. I know you posted in the thread, but didnt realize you already did so much.

Why not use phoebus as basis? it already makes good use of most tiles. no need for raw changes. :)

Ah you elegant bastard, I see what you mean here, another tileset for Masterwork :). I will try to make it Phoebus-compatible then, I mean it's not that hard to do.

However I may just make two versions then. For example, stuff like bamboo requires a separate tile :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 07:14:40 pm »

Indeed, cross-combability was at the back of my mind when I wrote that question. But it also makes a lot of sense. Dawnfortress and ObsidianSoul are also based on Phoebus raws. ;) (with some changes to plants in Obsidians case)

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 08:44:05 pm »

I like the tileset, but the outside hurts my eyes. More specifically the left side with the tree is more painful, but the right still hurts slightly. If I were to guess as to why I would say it's that it's all the bright greens and yellows combined with black.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 11:58:43 am »

Your monitor is probably brighter than mine :). It's not the tileset though, it's the colors. You can modify colors at will.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 04:45:48 pm »

Your monitor is probably brighter than mine :). It's not the tileset though, it's the colors. You can modify colors at will.
My monitor is actually at the lowest brightness setting, though it could still be brighter than yours if your monitor has a lower minimum. How do you modify the colors, I think it involves the raws and if it does that would be a lot of editing to change the colors so you might want to consider a different download with darker colors, but I know very little about tilesets.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 05:19:53 pm »

Deon is correct when he said that colors ate easily changed. Check your data/init/colors.txt :)
Pages: [1] 2