Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Force material preference?  (Read 806 times)

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Force material preference?
« on: March 21, 2014, 05:35:11 pm »

Suspecting my search-fu may just be weak, but is there a way to bias entities towards using particular metals?
Hoping to make a civ that has access to copper, as well as some rare fantasy-metals, but mostly uses iron/steel.
As is, migrants are prancing around with tools worth a king's ransom, while invading soldiers carry cheap copper gear.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 05:38:14 pm by kiwiphoenix »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Force material preference?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 02:40:17 pm »

Thought I replied to this? maybe you asked it in another thread?

Unfortunately there is no way to prioritize materials other then forcing what they can and cannot make. Like say Copper and Bronze are can make digging tools, and ranged weapons maybe even ammo. Then Iron and steel and such make weapons and armor. migrants can only come with bronze or copper picks (altho axes count as a weapon so a migrant might come with a "mithril" battle axe for tree chopping goodness)

So yeah, no way for priorities but you can limit what a metal can make.

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Force material preference?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 06:59:09 pm »

Did ask this in the Modding Questions thread, but it got rapidly buried, so I moved it here after several days.
You did help me out with adding additional cave-adaptation effects - thanks for that, too!

Hm, had set the new mats up pretty much exclusively for making weapons and armour, and coppper is too useful early on to remove. Guess all-powerful woodcutters are going to be the order of the day for a while. Will sure keep things interesting.