Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: New Races  (Read 5489 times)

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Races
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 08:27:33 pm »

By the way, I heard clowns will be the ones getting proper sites now, too.
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 09:43:02 pm »

A demon civ would be awesome. Though what I would like to see is that civs develop according to their environment. Elves near arid lands might wear head wraps and live in mud brick houses. Humans in the north might focus on hunting, ride elk and live in log longhouses. Goblins living in a swamp might invent umbrellas...

Right now all the civs feel similar. Extra diversity with the current races is what I want. Different building styles, different government structures, different cultural norms.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 09:59:09 pm »

A demon civ would be awesome. Though what I would like to see is that civs develop according to their environment. Elves near arid lands might wear head wraps and live in mud brick houses. Humans in the north might focus on hunting, ride elk and live in log longhouses. Goblins living in a swamp might invent umbrellas...
I'm 90% sure Toady is going to add something along these lines. It does, at least, sound similar to something he posted in Future of the Fortress.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 12:36:25 am »

I always find it annoying that people project their own prejudices on the races of the games. I mean, the elfs are monotheist cannibal warrior fanatics, the golbins are egalitarian murder based societies, the humans take slaves and keep taxidermied sentients around, the kobolds a tribal sneaks.

The races are already super unique with the potential for adding splintering factions.

Merpeople sounds really cool though, as do maybe ant people hives and other beastfolk stuff.

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 07:04:01 am »

A sea race!
give merpeople more intelligence and sites or w/e
think about it, elves and humans have above ground between them, dwarves have mountains/underground, goblins have the evil places in the world, but the sea, swamps and lakes are quite boring!
You know, I really agree with this idea. Some sort of amphibian ocean- and lakedwelling kind if people would be great. Im feeling, however, that they'd need to be quite alien from the terrestrial races, to give them more distinctiveness. Not neccessarily cthulhuoid ill-haunt-your-dreams-and-suck-out-your-brain-alien, but at least something to make the distance from the terrestrial races and the aquatic moderately big. Specifically, I'm thinking something to make diplomatic, military and trade contact difficult, but not impossible.

For the sake of ease, I suppose animal-people might actually be a well-applied template here.
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 08:28:25 pm »

I'd very much like an alternative to Goblins as an evil race. In my own games I've made surface-dwelling antmen and Lizardmen which fulfill the role or modified Mountain Gnomes and Dark Gnomes to live in caves and be a bit larger, allowing both to be thieves and Dark Gnomes to siege and kidnap children, as well as 'Great Trolls', basically slightly larger trolls that are sentient. And by slightly larger I mean smaller than regular trolls because I reduced the size of regular trolls as well to fit my view of them and also to prevent GT's from being overpowered as a race. I made two entity types for them, a primitive cave-dweller type and a more advanced city-dweller type. The only difference between the two was the sites they occupied and that the civilised ones had iron weapons and also, if they were lucky, would get a coat, since I quickly figured out any great amount of clothing would slow them down to a crawl and therefore disallowed them from wearing anything but pants and occasionally a coat, and no armour because that would be too insane.

That said as much as I kind of like the style of the gnomes in DF I'd prefer a more standard fantasy gnome Civ. Because gnomes are my spirit animal. But that's just me.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 09:57:03 am »

I know DF is going to get procedurally generated races rather than more hard coded ones, but I love gnolls. They have the sexiness ferocity of werewolves while being a race of their own, and crude weapons and armor similiar to orcs. I really hope the animalpeople will someday become something similiar.

Why are there no pictures of gnolls in top hats...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 08:17:29 pm »

You mean the Warcraft gnolls? They're okay, I guess. I prefer the current animal people, flavour-wise.

Why are there no pictures of gnolls in top hats...
+1
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 02:12:15 am »

There use to be in like the ultra ultra early prerelease version. Back when Toady was doing early tests sieging elves could turn Trees into Treants or something. IIRC

That old movie can be found here included with a viewer.

What are the flashing tiles surrounding the elves in elfdeath.cmv?

That's the magical effect that goes on while they are animating trees.  Some trees march up from the bottom in the last third of the movie.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 02:15:07 am by Dwarfu »

Nicolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2014, 09:22:15 pm »

I've played around with various D&D races, but my favorite import has to be grell

Grell are a majority female but male-led society of atheistic, democratic hunter-gatherers. Because of their [EAT_SENTIENT_KILL:REQUIRED] ethic, by the time worldgen ends they are scattered in dark caves with a handful learning necromantic arts. Nobody likes them.

Nicolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2014, 09:29:58 pm »

All this talk about gnolls just made me add them by renaming "Hyena Man" to "gnoll" and adding them to the skulking list

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a deep dislike of the natural world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2014, 09:32:04 pm »

Glooples from Amorphous plus.
Crack-a-lack-a

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2014, 12:26:22 am »

Honestly, I would rather if Toady just makes different nations more different - that could include ethnic variations, potentially with names like "orc" and "bugbear" among the goblin tribes, despite not being distinct enough to entail their own species. Similarly, elves could have the ethnic variation to encompass all - or at least a greater subset - of the traits associated with elves in fantasy in general.

I also think that tribal and nomadic societies, including the beast races but also kobolds - should be active in international politics, including forming "armies" of their whole tribe (probably excluding children) and occasionally taking over sites or what-have-you. Not sure about gnomes or other creatures that might be envisioned as largely solitary despite some amount of intelligence.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 07:36:47 am »

I like the idea of a lizard like people, ya know? They would have good weapons and a poisonous bite they could use and of course they would walk on two legs like a humanoid. And they would live in water mostly so maybe they would only go x amount of tiles on the world map from the water? And maybe they'll start off friendly if you wanted them to or wanting to annihilate your fort if they're not. And if you're at war with them maybe they'll send baby snatchers and thieves to attack you? And maybe they'll have some exotic creatures to trade that are native to the ocean? Like I dunno.. Mermaids? Sharks maybe?

Okay now I want this to be a thing, someone teach me to make a new civ! D:
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 01:57:55 pm »

I like the idea of a lizard like people, ya know? They would have good weapons and a poisonous bite they could use and of course they would walk on two legs like a humanoid. And they would live in water mostly so maybe they would only go x amount of tiles on the world map from the water? And maybe they'll start off friendly if you wanted them to or wanting to annihilate your fort if they're not. And if you're at war with them maybe they'll send baby snatchers and thieves to attack you? And maybe they'll have some exotic creatures to trade that are native to the ocean? Like I dunno.. Mermaids? Sharks maybe?

Okay now I want this to be a thing, someone teach me to make a new civ! D:

The http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Modding_guide should be a good start I think, and here's a quick version of the civ you wanted, it's a copy of the humans, but with the reptile men instead.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4