Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Looking for a certain type of game  (Read 6511 times)

blazing glory

Looking for a certain type of game
« on: March 22, 2014, 10:30:21 pm »

is there a good science fiction RPG that's 12-13 rated?

Rather strict but so's my mother,that means:no magic,no zombies,no monsters(somewhat) and no online interactions (but that only counts if she knows that I'm playing online so that means no multiplayer only games)

being 13 with a strict mother is tough...

EDIT and I don't want any sympathy,I knew that I had it bad when I couldn't get Elderscrolls:Skyrim,and numerous other games that were popular.

ADDITIONAL EDIT Covenant was kind enough to point me to a roguelike called Caves of Qud,so far I'm having a good time on it so I'll consider this thread a success.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 07:23:50 pm by blazing glory »

blazing glory

Re: Looking for a certain type of game
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 11:16:13 pm »

Guess a space flying sandbox would do...but that's kinda the same thing isn't it?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 11:20:53 pm »

Shadowrun, or Cyberpunk, maybe?

(Pen and paper roleplaying, but it still counts)

Sorry, games without monsters are nonexistent. Also, Shadowrun has magic in it.

Because magic is evil?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:22:25 pm by Remuthra »

blazing glory

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 11:25:49 pm »

Unfortunatly in a family of 3 brothers one of them being 7 years old I wouldn't be able play Pen and paper roleplaying,plus something gives me the idea that mother would really like Pen and Paper roleplaying.

Reason I couldn't play one is that table is cluttered and 7 year old brother would instantly come along and ruin everything.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 11:27:30 pm »

http://www.gog.com/games##search=sci-fi
unfortunately you can't do a search for "sci-fi rpg" but I clicked through a few of them and many I see are rated T for teen.

There's a game called Space Velocity, and I think somebody is either in the process of making or has released a very similar game to that. if I could think of the name of that I'd recommend that, but if you have a Mac then escape velocity was pretty fun back when I was a kid (4-6?) even though I didn't know what I was doing.

EDIT: Are you allowed to play Dwarf Fortress? Or games that don't actually have 'blood' on the screen? I'm sure there are sci-fi roguelikes around

blazing glory

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 11:30:00 pm »

on the whole monster's thing it really depends on how horrible the monsters are for example:elderitch horrors from beyond? no chance,6 legged creature with a large mouth and a tail? probably yes,and the whole magic thing is demons and turning me into a satan worshipper or something.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 11:30:49 pm »

Unfortunatly in a family of 3 brothers one of them being 7 years old I wouldn't be able play Pen and paper roleplaying,plus something gives me the idea that mother would really like Pen and Paper roleplaying.

Reason I couldn't play one is that table is cluttered and 7 year old brother would instantly come along and ruin everything.

Depending on what it counts as, you could play online. Bay 12 has a pretty good tabletop community.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 11:33:07 pm »

3079 and 3089 are pretty innocuous. 3079 has demons in it, but they don't look or act particularly monstrous. I think everything in 3089 is an android, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. They're both sandbox ARPGs, however, so they don't have much story if that's what you're looking for.

If Jedi powers don't count as magic, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is rated Teen and generally has positive reviews. But again, it's still in my backlog so I couldn't give you specifics.

Seems to me like sci-fi CRPGs were more common back in the 90's, so you might want to try some abandonware sites. Albion would be a good abandonware game, except it does have a couple scenes that would likely violate your rating restriction.

blazing glory

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 11:37:19 pm »

Mother doesn't really know about my collection of roguelikes since I don't need to pay for them,some sci-fi roguelikes I have:Ascii sector,Prospector,Gearhead RPG 1 and 2,Transcendence isn't really a roguelike but it's worth mention,but if there are any sci-fi roguelikes you are going to mention then it's going to have easier to understand weapons system then (2d5).

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 11:41:32 pm »

I was always kinda' fond of Transcendence, though I guess it sorta' has magic a little? Nothing overt, for what that's worth, and completely ignorable. It's not a very standard RPG, though. Action game, and item based progression.

You might also consider Zap'Em, if you can handle roguelikes. It definitely has monsters, and magic-equivalents (psionics), and honestly probably has zombies (my memory fails me), but the whole thing's in ASCII so your parent would have a bugger of a time eyeballing it for anything out of order >_> Here's a list of general sci-fi Roguelikes, actually.

The gearhead games might work, too, actually. Mecha roguelikes, and they actually have graphics if you want 'em.

E: Woah, what the blazes, you ninja'd me with the stuff I was going to suggest for you.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

blazing glory

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 11:45:24 pm »

I have a bit of tolerence for semi-bad graphics but if it looks like it was made before 2006 then I probably won't like it,so that's 3079 and 3089 out of the question,I've gotten and played both Knights of the old republic.

I'm sorry if I'm being difficult,maybe I should just shut up wait 3 years and have a jolly good time on fallout 3.

blazing glory

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 11:53:13 pm »

Can't seem to find Zap'Em on the internet. plus that list is displaying a good deal of roguelikes that use a normal damage system that I have no idea on how it works.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 11:54:16 pm »

Does Frog Fractions count as a sci-fi roleplaying game?

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 11:55:06 pm »

You like roguelikes but not Minecraft-style graphics? I find this strange, but w/e.

blazing glory

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 11:56:28 pm »

Took a quick look on the wikipedia,probably counts but it's not the type of game you'd catch me playing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4