Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Looking for a certain type of game  (Read 6532 times)

blazing glory

Re: Looking for a certain type of game
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 12:00:34 am »

There's a difference,on Ascii graphics you can't see jagged edges and all of the general things old graphics have,plus Ascii hands it's graphics over to your imagination,and in my imagination I don't see jagged edges and poor graphics,plus I have a phobia of minecraft,it's the source of 95% of the reason's my 7 year old brother screams at everyone,examples:I want a new skin! give me a mod! why won't you play minecraft with me!,and not related to the screaming he spends all day watching you-tube videos of minecraft.

blazing glory

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 12:12:49 am »

If you've enjoyed sci-fi roguelikes in the past, I'd highly recommend trying Caves of Qud. It's got its own thread here on the forums already. No zombies that I recall. Most of its enemies are either malfunctioning robots or alien animals. Shouldn't get you into any bother with your mum and it's a damn good game to boot.

No need to apologise; you're not the only one to grow up with parents who hold somewhat more old-fashioned views. When I was that age I had a frustrating time of it myself with that kind of thing; fortunately for me, our family computer wasn't in the living room, so with half an ear to the stairs and the miracle of Alt + Tab, I could pretty much get away with it.

Anyway, if you do wait three years, honestly, you'd be better off skipping Fallout 3 and going straight to New Vegas.

as I've mentioned before I don't need to ask permission to download roguelikes and since it's all in ascii it doesn't merit any inspection,looked at Caves of Qud on roguebasin,looks good I'll try it out.

Unfortunatly my computer is in a corner of the family room with the moniter facing the same direction as the TV screen so all the chairs face that direction of the room,in fact I think my computer is the most exposed one in the whole house,and we have 5 computers counting laptops.

I cope by knowing if anyone sits in a chair in the room plus it's nice to have a private computer so no one can really inspect it without reason.

And if I do wait 3 years then I know I'll end up getting both Fallout games.

blazing glory

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 12:26:27 am »

It seems my top skill in life is going to be leaving out details because I've forgotten to mention another type of game I like,ever since playing Call of Juarez bound in blood and gunslinger I've found out that I have a particular fondness of westerns,but those are even more neglected then sci-fi,and before you ask how I got past the age rating I'll just say that it's a good advantage when steam only displays the rating in the videos,and how I got past gunslinger was that,well,the previous game was alright so why not let me get the next one?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 12:35:46 am »

I'm out of ideas, so I'll just throw King of Dragon Pass in for fun.

blazing glory

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 12:40:28 am »

King of Dragon Pass looks like a magic sort of thing,fortunatly Caves of Qud is entertaining me and I'm not even past the character creation screen so I'll consider this thread a success

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 12:45:24 am »

*looks at library*

Diablo II! Shadow Warrior! Killing Floor! Hotline Miami!
Just kidding.

Starsector's a top-down sci-fi fleet RPGish thing with nice enough graphics and nothing objectionable. Still incomplete, but plenty of stuff there as is.

Is this specifically a problem where her credit card's the only means of buying things online, or that she actually monitors what you do online?

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 12:50:44 am »

I know you can't have zombies, but your brother plays minecraft which has some fairly visible zombies so I think you can have some. Cata DDA is an ASCII roguelike, so I highly doubt they will be staring at your screen and scream heresy when they see the word zombie. It has a very active community, frequent updates, and a thread in Other Games as well.  It is also sci-fi as it is NOT a regular zombie game with regular zombies, not by a long shot.

blazing glory

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2014, 01:13:13 am »

*looks at library*

Diablo II! Shadow Warrior! Killing Floor! Hotline Miami!
Just kidding.

Starsector's a top-down sci-fi fleet RPGish thing with nice enough graphics and nothing objectionable. Still incomplete, but plenty of stuff there as is.

Is this specifically a problem where her credit card's the only means of buying things online, or that she actually monitors what you do online?

The credit card thing.

I know you can't have zombies, but your brother plays minecraft which has some fairly visible zombies so I think you can have some. Cata DDA is an ASCII roguelike, so I highly doubt they will be staring at your screen and scream heresy when they see the word zombie. It has a very active community, frequent updates, and a thread in Other Games as well.  It is also sci-fi as it is NOT a regular zombie game with regular zombies, not by a long shot.

I think the reason why minecraft is alright is because the graphics are unique (poor doesn't seem to be the right word for minecraft) but with regular zombie games you have rotting flesh and all that,but I'll check out the game.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2014, 07:27:52 am »

King of Dragon Pass looks like a magic sort of thing,fortunatly Caves of Qud is entertaining me and I'm not even past the character creation screen so I'll consider this thread a success
Nope, no magic. Just Norse-style gods.

blazing glory

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 08:00:48 am »

in my mothers book,gods are magic.

On another note Caves of Qud sure is punishing,I finally get the corpse for the beggining quest and on my way back I get "lost" (while in truth being "lost" means an ambush) I end up fighting a feral hermit or something he ends up almost killing me so I being faster then average make a run for it,then I'm killed by a seed flinging plant or something,that was my best character yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2014, 08:05:41 am »

Sci-fi game for children without monsters... hmm..

Beneath a steel sky (I think), Primoria (I think), Deponia...

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2014, 08:53:36 am »

If you like Terraria type games you could try the heavily underrated Darkout or Starbound.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2014, 09:49:52 am »

What about Fallout and Fallout 2 ? They should be pretty cheap on GoG or Steam. The graphics are low res enough that you wouldn't really notice the mutants being mutants (except maybe when speaking to the couple ones that are NPCs), and there is no magic.

You can even turn off the horrible deaths so that it stays clean.

On the note of religion and video games, I knew a christian guy who played Diablo 3. Makes sense, since you're killing demons and fighting against evil. But he probably wasn't as ... extreme in his beliefs as you mother seems to be.

Edit : oh and maybe Freelancer would be your thing too. It seems to fit your bill pretty well.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 09:55:25 am by Sirian »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2014, 09:57:59 am »

What about Fallout and Fallout 2 ? They should be pretty cheap on GoG or Steam

Ignoring that they are rated M... No they aren't on GoG or Steam anymore because Bethesda threw a stink over it.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2014, 12:15:46 pm »

What about Fallout and Fallout 2 ? They should be pretty cheap on GoG or Steam. The graphics are low res enough that you wouldn't really notice the mutants being mutants (except maybe when speaking to the couple ones that are NPCs), and there is no magic.

You can even turn off the horrible deaths so that it stays clean.

On the note of religion and video games, I knew a christian guy who played Diablo 3. Makes sense, since you're killing demons and fighting against evil. But he probably wasn't as ... extreme in his beliefs as you mother seems to be.

Edit : oh and maybe Freelancer would be your thing too. It seems to fit your bill pretty well.

This is a trend. I have a Christian friend who plays any game in which you fight the devil he can find.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4