Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Looking for a certain type of game  (Read 6506 times)

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
Re: Looking for a certain type of game
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2014, 12:29:52 pm »

It seems my top skill in life is going to be leaving out details because I've forgotten to mention another type of game I like,ever since playing Call of Juarez bound in blood and gunslinger I've found out that I have a particular fondness of westerns,but those are even more neglected then sci-fi,and before you ask how I got past the age rating I'll just say that it's a good advantage when steam only displays the rating in the videos,and how I got past gunslinger was that,well,the previous game was alright so why not let me get the next one?
You like westerns?
Then try Desperados.

Haven't played it myself, but I heard good things about it. It's supposed to be like Commandos but in wild west setting. Granted, that doesn't make it really RPG, but still, check it out.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2014, 02:26:09 pm »

Ohh whoops I didn't see the RPG part... >_<

well my games don't count they are point and clicks.

--

Also Fallout and Fallout 2 have monsters. Unless Giant Scorpions suddenly don't count.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 02:36:42 pm by Neonivek »

blazing glory

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2014, 03:44:24 pm »

Sci-fi game for children without monsters... hmm..

Beneath a steel sky (I think), Primoria (I think), Deponia...
so long as 12-13 rated counts as for children,and for some reason aliens don't count as monsters,think it's the concept of the thing.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2014, 03:52:13 pm »

Dust: An Elysian Tail, Guacamelee, FTL, Fez?

They're all fun and should be A-Ok for teenagers... Dust is kind of fantasy-ish, but it looks like Disney did it so it will slip under a lot of people's radars.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2014, 04:10:39 pm »

Dust: An Elysian Tail, Guacamelee, FTL, Fez?

Not Sci-fi, Monsters, Not an RPG, Not An RPG.

Not that I blame anyone for running out of games... and it isn't like I contributed a T-rated Scifi RPG. >_<
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 04:13:05 pm by Neonivek »

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2014, 04:21:28 pm »

Though FTL does fall pretty close to what OP is asking.

Check FTL out, blazing glory, maybe it will be to your liking?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2014, 05:34:01 pm »

No mention of Mass Effect? There are aliens but not really monsters. (Well, depends on how literally you're defining "monster"; ME3 also has some online content but it can be avoided.) Borderlands. Highly violent and there are monster-like spiders but most enemies are humans (also not much of an RPG nor even really sci-fi, maybe a "low sci-fi" just as there are low and high fantasy genres). Deus Ex. System Shock (it's older; monsters).

There is definitely a distinct lack of sci fi RPGs.

I find it very curious that "fighting" is not restricted, but "magic" is, and yet sci-fi is allowed. The "fiction" part of sci-fi is often indistinguishable from magic, insofar as it breaks the laws of physics and any explanation to that effect may as well simply be "magic." It is not a case of the oft-quoted "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic," but rather that in a strict examination, there is little distinction between a mechanic described as "magic" and a mechanic described as "impossible technology"; rather that these terms imply much more about the setting than the mechanics used within them. Who is to say, for example, that the "magic" of [insert something] is not actually resulting from a technological source that the in-story lore has simply forgotten about, despite retaining the ability to exploit it?

(I don't suggest pointing this out to your mother, presuming you haven't already recognized that fallacy yourself.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2014, 05:45:00 pm »

There are aliens but not really monsters

Well I guess if you mean giant beast or insect bent on killing you... Then yes it has monsters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2014, 05:46:47 pm »

Mass Effect also has the dancing Asari girls everywhere and animated sex scenes, which I'm guessing won't fly with your average Christian parenting.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2014, 05:48:31 pm »

The credit card thing.

A few ways of getting around the maternal censorship then. Prepaid cards can be bought from many stores, which should usually work. American Express might not, I remember problems with it (like, 5 years ago, may not be relevant). I think Steam even sells prepaid cards specifically for its service now. You could also potentially bamboozle money into the Steam wallet by pretending to buy an approved game, since it wouldn't look like a suspicious transaction on the account statement (still a bit risky if they actually stand over you while you buy things).

There is also the 'other bay', which I made extensive use of before high school (the wonders of a job and debit card!), but obvious risks apply, it's morally dubious, remember to use protection, etc.

Also, not sure if it's been mentioned, but FTL is a fun little sci-fi game, I'd check it out.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2014, 05:54:04 pm »

If you have a Wal-greens nearby and a twenty you can buy steam cards there.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2014, 06:43:19 pm »

X-Com
FTL
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 06:51:32 pm by Flying Carcass »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2014, 08:01:05 pm »

Towns isn't an RPG, but it fits the other requirements. I would also suggest trying to get Torchlight 1 or 2. Even though there are monsters they are very cute. Magic can be avoided altogether.

And for my big reveal, Check out Planet Explorers. Space RPG on a planet with Dinosaurs instead of monsters. Science instead of magic. No gods, demons, etc. And it's a brand new game. I strongly suggest it for your purposes.

Only a simple mind can be certain.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2014, 08:27:23 pm »

Freelancer sort of fits. The main gameplay is space combat but there's a level system and weapon tiers like in an RPG. It even has a "loot all" key and items which are basically healing potions for spaceships. The space flight is mouse controlled and it definitely feels closer to an RPG than a flight simulator.

Getting it may prove difficult though. It's over 10 years old and it doesn't seem to be available to buy in digital format.

It has aliens(cutscene only), smoking(cutscene only), mildly gruesome death cries from NPC ships. No idea about cussing, sorry.

blazing glory

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2014, 08:29:10 pm »

I have FTL,and X-Com enemy unknown and within,played notrium,as for planet explorers I'm trying to cut down on half finished games and minecrafty sort of games.

On topic, you're gonna be really, really disappointed if you shoot down every suggestion. Lower your standards a bit so you can be more than impressed when the neat games everyone suggests to you turn out to be awesome instead of turning your nose up and everything and living with a very disappointing pile of nothing.

The problem is that every frigging sci-fi RPG is probably 16+ or made 8 years ago,I've lived with a very disappointing pile of nothing for several years,with the most entertaining game I ever managed to get my hands on is mount and blade warband with 300 hours in it until I finally couldn't get entertainment from it,and that frigging game is 16 rated so I ended up very lucky with that one.(having a 18+ year old brother who can vouch for the fact that it isn't all that messy is good)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4