Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Affordable Wargaming Project (Helpers Needed)  (Read 2257 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Affordable Wargaming Project (Helpers Needed)
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 12:51:43 am »

I had an idea similar to this once, although I wanted to do airships dueling in the Cytherean upper atmosphere and from there I kind of got disenchanted with games about war. I need to go back and finish my tactical peacegames.

One thing that had occurred to me was that, if you're going papercraft, there's nothing to stop you having players map out their own WYSIWYG units on graph paper, actually having them sketch out where the armor and guns and crew quarters are and so forth. Provided you directly link a ship's capabilities to what's in it ("every barracks module supports one unit of Marines", et cetera) the little graph paper ships are also a way to record stats for a campaign, which might be nice.

Bear in mind, though, I came up with this after hearing about some guy trying to turn pencils into d6s because he was too poor to afford dice after his house burned down. It might be resistant to monetization.

cloth master flex

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 10:27:32 am »

I like this. I was a huge pirates csm geek back in the day (played competitively every sunday for a few years) and made up some pretty extensive house rules with some guys at the shop that hosted games. With the standard ruleset, it was a great game, with the additional complexities and light rpg elements we added, it was hands down the best tabletop game I have ever played. After growing past the 'too cool for nerdy games' phase I looked into buying some more ships for old times sake only to learn it had been discontinued. What a shame. I am a working artist/graphic designer with my own small firm and would love to be involved in your project. In addition to art skills, I have extensive experience as a copywriter and have written a novel a few years back. Long story short, I could probably handle a lot of the creative tasks and web marketing for this project but would like input some on mechanics as well. While a lot of people are saying the gameplay can be developed apart from a theme, though I agree to an extent, I think a better product will result should the two arise mutually. Additionally, if you are at a loss for a good setting, I have a very well developed fictional universe for an upcoming video game project that could be applicable here although it would imply a smaller scale than you are likely suggesting. (Only small basic vehicles, tribal armies of 50 or less etc.) In any case feel free to email me if you want to discuss working together on this.
Cheers,
-Ian
ian@deltagraphic.org

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 10:05:00 am »

Again, sorry I haven't said anything.

I STILL have not been able to work on anything, due to a combination of surprise bullshit and a recurring infection.

I had an idea similar to this once, although I wanted to do airships dueling in the Cytherean upper atmosphere and from there I kind of got disenchanted with games about war. I need to go back and finish my tactical peacegames.

One thing that had occurred to me was that, if you're going papercraft, there's nothing to stop you having players map out their own WYSIWYG units on graph paper, actually having them sketch out where the armor and guns and crew quarters are and so forth. Provided you directly link a ship's capabilities to what's in it ("every barracks module supports one unit of Marines", et cetera) the little graph paper ships are also a way to record stats for a campaign, which might be nice.

Bear in mind, though, I came up with this after hearing about some guy trying to turn pencils into d6s because he was too poor to afford dice after his house burned down. It might be resistant to monetization.

I am not sure that would be a good idea. It sounds a lot like battletech, and I always found that had way too much paperwork...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:16:07 am by moghopper »
Pages: 1 [2]