Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Fortress Destruction Club!  (Read 5621 times)

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile
The Fortress Destruction Club!
« on: March 25, 2014, 09:47:26 am »

The Inquisition has had spies in your fortress for quite some time now, and they've come to the conclusion that your fortress is a threat to the traditional values of the mountainhomes. There is but one recourse left: the total annihilation of your fortress.

Through political machinations, they've managed to change the leadership of your fortress with one of their own agents. They have exactly one in-game year to cripple the fortress.

The rules:

Victims:
  • Upload your well-established fortress here, preferably at the start of a new year.
  • Provide a brief (3 paragraph max) history and account of the fortress, including screenshots of any interesting landmarks/constructions.
  • Send me a PM that your fortress is ready for the Inquisition and I will add it to the list.
Inquisition:
  • PM me with your chosen target from the existing fortresses. Fortresses can be destroyed more than once, as long as the method is different each time.
  • Download the fortress and check the in-game date. You have until that time next year to cripple1 the fortress.
  • Post a report of the event in this thread with pictures and descriptions. I will link it in the list.
Members of the Inquisition are subtle, so please avoid overt destruction methods such as:
  • Digging to the river and just flooding the place.
  • Breaching the circus.
  • Ordering troops to kill everyone one-by-one.
  • Just assigning everyone to burrows.
  • Letting the enemy destroy the fortress. We don't want these dwarves to go down heroically!
However, nothing is stopping you from using exisiting systems in the fortress to achieve the similar results.

Remember: you have one year. Be patient and a few well-placed strikes might be all you need.

Miscellaneous:
  • Make sure to list which mods you've used (if any). Compatibility may be an issue!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The List Of Morally Corrupt Fortresses
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 02:58:49 pm by TomIrony »
Quote from: KodKod
Quote from: enizer
"unit list other: 248, all kobolds"
"Hunt them for sport.

The Least Dangerous Game."

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortress Destruction Club!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 12:33:50 pm »

This actually looks like a pretty fun idea. I might upload a fort or two of mine later. I have a good one on a glacier with a minecart shotgun somewhere... and another somewhere else with a magma/minecart trap. Both are in modded universes, though.

I would add the rule of, no killing the fort through use of burrows/alerts. That just feels like cheating. :P lateedit: specifically because you can kill the fort in five minutes by designating everyone to an alert in the room with the forges, and then channeling out the edges of said room - everyone falls into the magma sea, with no survivors.

edit: it also sounds like it'd be more fun if you did try to make it fall through combat with the enemy.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:32:29 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

PsiDog

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 10:39:07 pm »

Intriguing, and I happen to have the perfect fort to offer up for destruction. Trenchpaged.

Short Version: A never-dig challenge fort that somehow set a personal longevity record at 7 years, and appears to be quietly on track for becoming the mountain home. Thematically, I think an above-ground mountain home would be the perfect candidate the Inquisition. Ok, almost perfect: the fort is currently at the 1st day of summer rather than of spring, but oh well.

Spoiler: About Trenchpaged (click to show/hide)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 10:51:20 pm »

PTW. I don't really have any forts suitable to be inquisitor'd, but I'd love to see other people's creations burning down around them :D.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 10:52:18 pm »

There is totally going to be an alternate timeline in which this happens to Demongate.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 11:52:19 pm »

I humbly submit Knottower, a 10-year-old fort on the verge of some evil mountains. It's been a busy 10 years; you should have no trouble adapting any one of the overengineered projects into a deathtrap, if you so desire, and there's all the magma and water at fort level you could ask for. We're at war with the humans; I haven't heard much from the goblins lately, but I'm sure they'll be back. The fog on the mountains creates husks, but doesn't leave a husking dust residue or anything. The military's very well-trained, but everybody's very well-socialized, so a good place to start might be killing some of the more popular dwarves. There are 90 kids; the first fortress-born will be growing up in a couple years.

If you want to keep the workflow jobs going, you'll need dfhack r3, but since the goal is to destroy the fort I guess you won't really need to (-: . Other than that, there hasn't been a lot of dfhacking aside from periodically destroying old clothes and keeping track of levers.

Here are some pictures of a few places around the fort: the gate, the fort itself, the well/power generator/arena, the cavern access points, and the magma pumpstack.

Here is the fort itself. Sorry it's not on dffd; apparently it doesn't accept compressed files, so I'm not really sure what the deal with that is.

An in-character introduction follows. I may have gotten a bit carried away.

(Edited a couple of typos)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 12:00:34 am by escondida »

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 07:35:29 am »

Without a word, the High Inquisitor rolled up the parchment and held its tip to the candleflame. He stared across his stone desk at the line of hooded figures.

"Knottower is a prime example of why we do our work," he said as the flame consumed the scroll. "Corruption and greed. It may not be difficult to bring it to its knees. The true danger... will be to your sanity." He dropped the fiery paper into a pile of nearby ashes on the floor.

"This Trenchpaged, however... I can scarcely believe the reports. That this abomination should have gone without our notice for... seven winters!" He shouted these last two words, spittle flying from his cracked lips. "That is a failing on our part!" The hooded dwarves made no response.

He settled back into his throne and wheezed for a moment. Finally, he lifted his gaze intently on the dwarves before him. "Now then... which of you will step forward and do what must be done?"

So now, whoever would like to try their hand at destruction, let me know either by PM or post here and I'll add your name to the list. The High Inquisitor will await your report with eagerness (and more than one person can take the same fortress to prevent blockage).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 07:50:35 am by TomIrony »
"Hunt them for sport.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 09:16:48 am »

Here you go. Wheeledcosmos, in its tenth year. No using burrows/alerts to kill the fortress, of course, or it will end ridiculously quickly. Or locking the doors to the dining room... It's actually incredibly easy to kill fortresses. Doing it with finesse... that's a challenge.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8495

Images follow.

Now for a description, written as from a dwarf who loathed the other dwarves for calling him an elf (which he kind of is), and isn't entirely sure what reason to give for having them all killed in revenge.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 09:24:31 am by Talvieno »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 12:24:15 pm »

I would add the rule of, no killing the fort through use of burrows/alerts. That just feels like cheating. :P lateedit: specifically because you can kill the fort in five minutes by designating everyone to an alert in the room with the forges, and then channeling out the edges of said room - everyone falls into the magma sea, with no survivors.

The funny thing is that this exact scenario, done by accident for no real reason, is what killed Steelhold.

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 07:29:53 am »

The High Inquisitor crumpled up the letter and ate it, chewing slowly and deliberately under the watchful gaze of his agents. It took until the candle's flame had burned half its wick before he swallowed, and when he did it was a slow, painful act.

"Wheeledcosmos," he said at last, "must fall. There is nothing there that can remotely be saved."

One of the agents nodded and vanished into the shadows.

"Now, one of you bring me more delicious letters."

Any takers for destruction? I'm going to take a close look at them this week-end and try my hand at assassinations.
"Hunt them for sport.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 11:10:12 am »

I might take a crack at Knottowers. I can't get started till this weekend though. I'd also be kind of tempted to use the research of the Skyfort to exterminatus the place, except that would take (much) longer than a year.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 01:56:07 pm »

If it's cool, I'll try Trenchpaged. I don't have a plan for how to accomplish our holy goal, but I'm sure something will come to mind. (-:

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 02:55:24 pm »

Knottower appears to be an unknown file type for my computer, so I might try Wheeledcosmos if that's ok.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

PsiDog

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 06:07:12 pm »

Should be ok. I'll try toppling Knottower in your place. That save is under serious compression, but my computer got it open.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 01:30:07 pm »

I personally think a tantrum spiral would be the best way for these corrupt fortresses to go down... really rub it in their faces that they're corrupt. Make them live it.  :D
Pages: [1] 2 3