Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19

Author Topic: Mayday's tileset compilation - in the hands of community heroes  (Read 222704 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: Mayday's tileset compilation - in the hands of community heroes
« Reply #225 on: June 25, 2016, 10:29:23 am »

Updated to latest Dorfs, split into two downloads as requested

Prepacked and pack only

Thanks!
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 25, 2016, 06:01:37 pm »

If you're wanting this for the Lazy Newb Pack, the one on the repo works with any version from 0.42.05 to 0.43.04 and it has the giant creatures changes from 0.42.05.

I'm working on an updated version, though, if you're not in a rush. It will probably add some problems, but I think it will fix a lot more than it introduces. Tallcastle requested that someone put everything in the Quiet Sun standard a while back. This should make it a lot easier for artists to see what parts of the pack are in most need of graphical improvements. It also has a side effect of showing me where all the problems in the pack are, which I'm trying to fix along the way.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 25, 2016, 11:04:59 pm »

Here's the first test version with the new graphical updates if anyone wants to try it out. It has definitions for Tallcastle's bug-slug people, so they should appear in the game now. It changes the backgrounds of creatures to use Mayday's dwarf background. It also has numerous small fixes such as tile positioning where some were crossing over the tile boundaries or some pixels being the wrong color, but there are probably new problems introduced in this version too. It also has temporary zombie versions added for most creatures. Anyone please feel free to change them or anything else that doesn't look good. There are versions of all the creature graphics included that use transparent backgrounds instead of the "highlighted" backgrounds to help any artist that wants to work on it.

Dwarf Fortress isn't included in this download. Habbadax, please feel free to put this into your distributions of Mayday's graphics pack if you think it's working good enough.
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12056

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 26, 2016, 03:55:38 am »

In case you didn't know it, BradUffner's Raw Explorer is quite useful to check if all the graphics work as intended.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 26, 2016, 04:37:14 am »

Thanks for the link. I've been using a calculator to figure out where tile numbers are on the main/ASCII tilesheet and on overrides sheets. This utility looks helpful. I'll try it out next time I'm on a PC.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 26, 2016, 07:17:54 am »

It's really just useful for creature graphics though. Doesn't help you with TWBT overrides or main tileset positions.
For that, I have a separate layer in photoshop with all the tile numbers on it. This page could help with that, too.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 06, 2016, 11:11:54 am »

Does this work with the latest version?
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 06, 2016, 11:53:54 am »

Does this work with the latest version?

Yes, it's compatible with everything from 0.42.05 up to at least 0.43.05.

Download link - http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12056

Tallcastle

• Bay Watcher
  • Every nightmare you've ever had.
    • View Profile
    • Tallcastle's Graphics Repository - Bay 12 Forum
« Reply #233 on: August 20, 2016, 10:02:47 am »

Hey guys!  So i've been working away, making new sprites for most of the critters we didn't have graphics for yet
(for those of you that are interested, but aren't following yet, you can find my topic HERE)

The thing is, this morning i was looking over some old posts and came across this one.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now I had seen this post before, but today i was struck with the notion that ... I really like Maydays variation!

This Awesome Mayday Original!

Before i knew it, i was sitting on half a dozen of my own little dwarves, each spiritually inspired by Mike's work.

Top=Tocky's Loved, And Time Honored Classic
Bottom= My Morning Doodle

Im posting today for this reason.

This has inspired me to complete the set and after a bit of work, create my own graphics pack.  However since my work is so heavily inspired by Mayday's and Tocky's work, (and in Mayday's case, very alike out of hand) i'm not sure whether i should.  I'm no thief (or at least not on purpose) and i don't want to deliberately or mistakenly rob from either of them.

So, i'm asking the community.  What do you guys think?  (If Mike, or Tocky are reading this ... your opinion matters most in this and i'm especially interested in what you guys have to say.)

Skilled Pixel Artist(Link)
Prone to flights of fancy.
Dreams of crafting a Masterwork Pixel Art Some Day

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 20, 2016, 07:33:36 pm »

Go for it!  Everyone builds on everyone else's work, no shame in that :)
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 20, 2016, 09:20:59 pm »

Those look good. A Tallcastle pack would be awesome.

If you're worried about "stealing" that graphic, you could redraw at 20x20. There's lots of graphics packs at 16x16 already. There's also a few 24x24 packs already, but that size id kind of big. I think 20x20 is a happy medium, and it's the perfect tile size for a 1x1 embark on a 1080p display running Dwarf Fortress in windowed mode. (disclaimer: I like 20x20.)

You're probably pretty invested in 16x16 already, though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tallcastle

• Bay Watcher
  • Every nightmare you've ever had.
    • View Profile
    • Tallcastle's Graphics Repository - Bay 12 Forum
« Reply #236 on: August 22, 2016, 03:44:40 am »

you could redraw at 20x20. There's lots of graphics packs at 16x16 already. There's also a few 24x24 packs already, but that size id kind of big. I think 20x20 is a happy medium, and it's the perfect tile size for a 1x1 embark on a 1080p display running Dwarf Fortress in windowed mode. (disclaimer: I like 20x20.)

You're probably pretty invested in 16x16 already, though.
Even my non-DF related art is 16x16, so ya ... pretty much committed at this point.
Those look good. A Tallcastle pack would be awesome.
Couldn't stop working on them , just over half done with an alpha release of 'Tallcastle Dwarves' already.
Should have a usable sprite set by the end of the week.

Skilled Pixel Artist(Link)
Prone to flights of fancy.
Dreams of crafting a Masterwork Pixel Art Some Day

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 29, 2016, 02:26:45 am »

Just downloaded the latest mayday pack from http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12056. However, after installing it only terrain tiles display correctly - all creatures are still represented by letters except dwarves (that use example.png graphics). RawExplorer, on the other hand, displays everything perfectly.

Is there a readme file that I can consult to fix this issue? The archive doesn't include one.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 29, 2016, 06:42:35 am »

Just downloaded the latest mayday pack from http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12056. However, after installing it only terrain tiles display correctly - all creatures are still represented by letters except dwarves (that use example.png graphics). RawExplorer, on the other hand, displays everything perfectly.

Is there a readme file that I can consult to fix this issue? The archive doesn't include one.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Graphics#Creature_Graphics

Put the graphic set into a subfolder in raw/graphics and the corresponding text file directly in raw/graphics. If you have an active save you will have to put them into the raw folder of your save as well (data/save/<your region>/raw/graphics). Finally, set GRAPHICS to YES in data/init/init.txt

I assume you forgot to put the creature graphics in your save file folder? Also, just delete the example text file and png.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 07:02:14 am by CLA »

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 29, 2016, 06:58:32 am »

I assume you forgot to put the creature graphics in your save file folder? Also, just delete the example text file and png.

*facepalm* Indeed, I forgot to update the save. Also, creating new world fixed this, thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19