Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19

Author Topic: Mayday's tileset compilation - in the hands of community heroes  (Read 223760 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: Mayday's tileset compilation - sorry...
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2014, 03:21:24 am »

I'm looking for feedback on what should be incorporated in the pack (I realize some of these things don't work or cause conflicts right now):

-Rendermax: lighting and occlusion
-Mifki's Text Will Be Text including:
  • separate icons for objects
  • the ability to display large map tiles with small interface tiles
-Meph's objects for TWBT

My suggestion: 
 - ignore Rendermax for now.  Lighting is cool, but it works regardless of graphics packs and drops my FPS from ~70 to ~15 with TwbT
 - ignore varied tile sizes for now.  All 16x16 works now, and looks amazing if the tiles are available. 
 - Create three versions of the basic tileset. 
        * One vanilla, which you have now (for when TwbT is broken or unavailable)
        * One "pure text" for menus, just the ASCII in your preferred font. 
        * And one TwbT-reliant, which takes advantage of the separate text tileset to maximise the tiles used for the map
 - Make a Mayday-style item overrides tileset; there's not that many vanilla items (using Meph's overrides.txt simplifies both creation and installation)

This would lead to an amazing pack, pretty much fulfilling your old graphics suggestions.  If you want a look, I just updated the 34.11 Starter Pack with a similar setup earlier today and it looks amazing. 

In future, you can tweak eg the size of tiles or make special narrow text tiles - but that functionality isn't out yet anyway. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Mayama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mayday's tileset compilation - getting ready for DF2014
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2014, 09:33:15 am »

Since we'll be moving to 32px soon, I'll probably be remaking all the icons anyway, so some of the proffessions might get dedicated icons. We'll see.

Is 32x32 even necessary? I doubt that it will help with readability, sure you can make nice smooth gradients but from my experience on my 1080p monitor I rarely zoom in enough to see the extra details of a 32pixel tileset. Thats of course only my way of playing the game.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2014, 01:10:54 pm »

Not sure if I should go ahead and slap together the graphics stuff into the new update or wait for Mike to release his main version.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2014, 01:29:48 pm »

Wait up, I'll get it done in an hour (just came back home :)
<3

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2014, 02:32:29 pm »

Wait up, I'll get it done in an hour (just came back home :)

Okay and thanks.

Edit: It's been an hour.....

Edit2: Bored of waiting, going to compile one, doesn't seem like it would take more than 15 minutes.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 04:04:09 pm by smjjames »

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2014, 04:28:26 pm »

Hey there, sorry, got caught up in testing if all's alright. The new version is up at
http://goblinart.pl/vg-eng/df.php
<3

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
Re: Mayday's tileset compilation - sorry...
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2014, 11:54:20 am »

- ignore varied tile sizes for now.  All 16x16 works now, and looks amazing if the tiles are available.
I don't agree. With twbt we are losing ttf support as a fallback, so it's very important to have usable text display without cutoff.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2014, 05:52:56 pm »

Fair enough. Do the text tileset in both 16x16 and, oh, about 10x16?
 Donations here.

PK1312

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2014, 06:27:35 pm »

Does this new version come with twbt? Because i'm not seeing it, still getting coffins in place of 0's and stuff.

Doren

• Bay Watcher
  • On closer inspection, that dog is a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2014, 11:13:30 pm »

twbt version is in development.
Current set doesn't have dfhack neither twbt.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2014, 02:48:10 am »

Oh yeah, forgot to mention: PLEASE USE TRUETYPE for now!
<3

PK1312

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mayday's tileset compilation - preliminary 40.03 - USE TRUETYPE!
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2014, 12:43:04 pm »

Alright, cool! I will eagerly watch this space for updates. Keep up the good work, man- your tileset is still the best one I've ever seen.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2014, 06:26:40 am »

Alright, time for some moral clean-up!

As you know, this isn't MY graphics pack per se. Many of the icons are grabbed and/or altered from other people- always with their permission, of course. One of the sources was a set of icons made by Tocky aka Atoji: http://atoji.deviantart.com/
http://atoji.deviantart.com/art/dwarf-fortress-tiles-71452862?q=gallery%3Aatoji%2F137012&qo=49

When I was building my pack, I wasn't actually very good with pixelart or colour theory and I didn't have much time for conceptual work on these, wanting instead to get as much graphics into the game as possible, as quickly as possible. So I grabbed Tocky's EXTREMELY charming icons with his permission, but didn't ask for his permission to shade them to match the rest of the graphics in the pack and made more icons in the same style for the remaining dwarves. Problem is, this streamlining made the icons lose their original old-school charm. What's worse, Tocky's work was made famous in this butchered form, which, unsurprisingly, he's not very happy with.

Granted, if these were MY work, I'd leave them as they are, but since they're not, I'd rather stop getting so much credit for icons 99% based on the work of another, very talented artist. I gotta say Tocky's dwarves are easily my favourite set of icons for DF, but now that I'm confident in my pixelart skills and scalable icons are coming thanks to TwbT, I've decided to try my hand at my own dwarves set.

How do you feel about these?  Would you play with them or would you rather keep using Tocky's dwarves? Please don't hesitate to state an honest opinion, I personally believe they are not as charming or interesting as Tocky's.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 06:30:15 am by Mike Mayday »
<3

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2014, 07:23:20 am »

I like the new ones, especially 16 and 24. 32 looks a little dark to me, and for 24 and 32 I'd be careful with the faces since they start to have recognisable expressions.

Reuse and remixing is a touchy subject, so I admire the work you're putting in to make amends. Regardless of views on freedom / culture / copyright & left, it's good to keep the community together.
 Donations here.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2014, 07:32:18 am »

Oh yeah, 32 was an experiment if I actually CAN fit an expression in an icon of this size.
Everything will be kept in the same style, so any darkness and colour problems will be fixed.
<3
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19