Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: AvP the RTD: Rieker's Island  (Read 12538 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: AvP the RTD: Rieker's Island
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2014, 01:58:37 pm »

((I understand that the stereotypes are strong. I understand we're not going to eliminate them completely for centuries. I'm just asking...why are we actively applying them to things that they don't apply to? That's like purposefully going in the exact wrong direction.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2014, 02:07:46 pm »

((Uh... Because we're humans? Because we can? It's probably one of ultimate questions - "Why do we even do this shit?". Also, it's simpler for human psyche with stereotypes. Usual system of coordinates and everything. Sadly, brain can't operate without predefined info.

On a related note, gender can't truly apply to xenomorphs as they don't have any conception of it. It's just us, humans, giving labels. As usual.))
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2014, 03:24:42 pm »

(("Because we can" is the worst excuse ever. And if we can't find a reason...why do it?

And fine, get all technical. Xenomorphs don't have "gender," they have "sex." Happy?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2014, 04:17:41 pm »

((Okay, we're starting to derail into philosophy and minor meaning differences. Better turn back before it's too late...  ::)

As for your rhetorical questions, I struggle to answer them without looking like an idiot or derailing the thread even further. So it ends here for now. It was interesting to share opinions and we may try it again if you want to.))
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2014, 05:32:14 pm »

((Jesus Christ, note to self: Create an OOC thread. I will have the turn update done around 8pm GMT-6.))
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2014, 06:06:01 pm »

Adsplm
Gimme a sec
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2014, 06:51:34 pm »

((Jesus Christ, note to self: Create an OOC thread.
((If you don't like random discussions of philosophy, science, obscure fiction, pop culture, potpourri, and/or all of the above in your IC thread, that isn't a bad idea.))
Sig

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2014, 06:55:06 pm »

((I have to say the Predators are probably going to win because superweapons. Unless the aliens get in the ocean. Then y'all are fucked.))
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2014, 07:33:25 pm »

Nope. Humans will win, if there's 1 thing humans excel at it's killing things.
Before you start a war, you better know what your fighting for.
If loves a fight, then I shall die, with my heart on a trigger.

I'm an angel with a shotgun, Fight until the wars won. I'd throw away my faith, just to keep you safe.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 30, 2014, 07:48:30 pm »

Nope. Humans will win, if there's 1 thing humans excel at it's killing things endurance.
FTFY. That's really all humans excell at. That, and tool-making, I guess.
Although "being protagonists" is also an acceptable answer.
Sig

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2014, 07:52:20 pm »

((Jesus Christ, note to self: Create an OOC thread.
((If you don't like random discussions of philosophy, science, obscure fiction, pop culture, potpourri, and/or all of the above in your IC thread, that isn't a bad idea.))

((You know what I enjoy doing? Pretending that you lot are various critters on an island fighting each other. You know what I don't enjoy doing? Skimming through three pages of nonsense to find an action. :P OOC Thread))

---
Alien
Fang
Running alongside the sand banks, Fang paused and softly hissed to herself in mild amusement. It was the first time in her entire life (short it might be) she sensed so much possible hosts nearby. Although it tickled her interest, her curiosity was preoccupied with much closer things...

Action: run to the jungle edge and stealthily approach source of bloody smell.

You approach the smell of blood cautiously, sticking to the shadows cast by the thick foliage of the jungle. As you come closer, you smell the heavy musk that predators of this world produce. It smells like a large cat has killed something, probably a deer, judging by the smell. As you creep closer, you hear a hissing sound. You peer around the shelter of the bushes in front of you to find that a large panther has indeed killed a deer, and is crouched protectively over it's kill. It's facing your direction with it's back is arched, and all the fur along the crest of it's spine standing on end. You don't think it's spotted you, but it might have smelt you or heard you somehow. What would you like to do?

(Cheesecake-morph)
Hunt. Kill. Advantage.

Use the tunnels as a way of traversing the island. Find a source of life using the tunnels, but don't attack. Map out the island first.

You begin developing familiarity with the tunnels under the island, memorizing turns and junctions as you explore. You find many small sources of life, such as lizards, insects, vast caverns full of bats and all the things come with them, fish, and the occasional small mole. In one particular cavern, you find a small crocodile chasing fish around in a pond. When it notices you, it flicks its tail and dashes into the deepest section of the pond. You ignore it for now, and continue exploring. Eventually, you begin to think that you have a very good mental map going of most of the major caves and where they let out on the surface.
What would you like to do now?

---
---
Predator
[Redacted]
---
---
Human

-Native:
Radik
Hunt as much game as possible with my group.

The five of you strike off toward a rich hunting ground nearby. You make good time through the jungle, and soon arrive at a place you know deer congregate during the twilight hours to feed. You and the other hunters take up positions, and wait to ambush some deer...

Cunning Roll
D6+4 = (5) + 4 = 9
D6 = (2) = 2
Success

A large group of deer come cautiously creeping into the clearing as the sun lowers itself closer to the sea in the distance. You and the other hunters tense, quiet and ready, arrows knocked and breath held. The first deer gently dips it's head and begins nibbling on the grass, and you loose your arrows. Five arrows streak out, and five deer fall dead in an instant. The remaining deer scatter into the jungle, but you have five fresh kills to your name now...

What would you like to do now?

Running with Winds
"No this is all to do with my tribe and our prophecy. Go home white man, this is our war. If you don't your going to be buried here."

Travel from tribe to tribe and inform them I'm calling for a competition to find the best 8 hunters in the tribes and ask them each to send along a few of there best.

Some of the tribes rebuff your advances immediately, or are too dangerous to approach, but over the course of a day, you get word to most of the tribes, although some of the northern tribes are a bit reticent, claiming that spirits in the forest are filling their souls with demons. They even send along a younger hunter that is said to be possessed by one of these demons, despite the best efforts of their shamans. They sent him late in the night, so he hasn't arrived yet, but you have around seventeen candidates at the moment, waiting to be pared down to eight. What would you like to do?

-Pirate:
Charles Hawk
For now, try to avoid getting anyone's attention. At some point, see if I can slip out of the tavern and the town without the other pirates noticing. Best-case scenario, I can find some way to get to somewhere less...piratey. Worst-case-scenario, I'll eventually find some natives.
Okay, actual worst-case-scenario, I lose various limbs to Predators and get a facehugger to hug my face, but I don't know about that yet.

You easily slip out of the tavern without attracting notice. It's almost like no one is watching you and you're just paranoid and delusional. You wander to the outskirts of town, where a pair of soldiers lounging lazily by the 'path' leading into the jungle stop you. One says, "'ey mate. Ya shouldn't go'at ther'."
The other soldier smiles nastily and says, "Yeah, the blackies are saying there's demons in the jungle, stealing souls and eating babies. You best not go out there."
Would you like to heed these upstanding gentlemen's warning, or do you wish to press on into the jungle? ((For reference: It's nearing the end of the day (About 5pm for you), the weather is pleasantly warm, the soldiers do not appear intent on stopping you (They look more like they want to go home and get drunk, in your august opinion), and you think you'd reach a village within the hour, before it got dark.))

-White Man:
Alex Dorth
"No this is all to do with my tribe and our prophecy. Go home white man, this is our war. If you don't your going to be buried here."

Travel from tribe to tribe and recruit the best hunters, leave the white man in town to keep tabs on whats going on for me. Teach the current 4 hunters to bring them up to my level of skill.

"War? Well if there is anything I can do to help, just let me know, if this island lockdown is due to a war, it is in my best interest to have it be solved quickly, so if I can help I will"

Continue to search town for info on the island quarantine

A passing officer directs you to the Governor's Estate, right outside the fort on the cliff. You wander up that way, and eventually find a garrulous clerk. You ask him, "Why is the island quarantined?"
He leans in conspiratorially, and you can smell the booze on his breath, "Well, that's a secret. Buuuut..." He looks around, trying to be circumspect, and naturally manages to look incredibly suspicious doing so. He leans in again, "I hear it's because of something one of the Governor's scouts found on the north end of the island. Or... Should I say, something that found one of the Governor's scouts?" He guffaws happily and continues, "All we found was a rotting corpse, they go so quick in the jungle, they do. Something had... Come out of him..."

You have discovered that the island is under quarantine because of some sort of situation on the north end of the island. Do you wish to continue speaking to the clerk about it, search out another source of information (possibly a sober one), or take another action?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2014, 08:04:44 pm »

((Minor detail: Typically, animals react a lot less violently when they encounter creatures they are inexperienced with. See: The reaction of basically every Pacific island's wildlife to humans, rats, dogs, etc.))

"There's always baby-stealing demons, or demons who take the forms of beautiful women, or demons who try to lead you astray. I haven't seen a demon yet, and I don't expect to see one any time soon. Besides, if the worst they do is eat babies, I should be fine."
Continue. Get out of this town. ...Keep a lookout for any demons, though. And get to the nearest friendly village.
((Paranoia? Eh. I'll just roll with whatever. Given his backstory...well, a constant sense of impending doom isn't too unlikely.))
Sig

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2014, 08:33:26 pm »

((You were trying to leave a crowded bar filled with people who don't know you stealthily. That's paranoia.

And the animals haven't reacted violently. The panther is defending it's kill from an unknown entity that is encroaching. The crocodile was getting out of reach of whatever large dark creature was observing it. Avoiding a strange creature isn't a violent reaction, nor an uncommon one, I'd imagine.))
He's fucking with us.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2014, 08:54:10 pm »

((Then where are the pirates who captured me or whatever it was that happened?
And tell that to the dodo, the Galapagos Tortoise, the moa, and pretty much every indigenous species of the islands various groups of people visited and devastated over the millenia.))
Sig

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2014, 09:18:16 pm »

Test them all in the following ways. Long and short distance bow shooting at moving targets hitting specific points, Tracking ability, Sneaking ability, Knowledge of the land and Ability to use the terrain in beneficial ways.

Then test them all in combat with spears and select the best 8.

When the possessed guy arrives put him through the tests but I and 2 of the others stand guard over him at all times and 2 people guard him all night trading off in 2 hour shifts to avoid any of them getting tired or complacent. See if he is superior to any of the other 8.
Check him physically from the head to toe for any signs of trauma or anything the least bit unusual paying special attention to his throat. Have the best doctor from the town perform the checks as well as the best tribal shaman in the area.
(( Spirits enter through the mouth so throat is the logical place to look for signs of trauma. ))
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 09:22:51 pm by PewdsRocks »
Before you start a war, you better know what your fighting for.
If loves a fight, then I shall die, with my heart on a trigger.

I'm an angel with a shotgun, Fight until the wars won. I'd throw away my faith, just to keep you safe.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8