Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: What was your gateway to Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 8480 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: What was your gateway to Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 12:01:08 pm »

Read the NYT article.
Decided I would like it.
So I have.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 12:31:27 pm »

I'm pretty sure I read a number of small non-descriptive comments about the difficulty of the game. That piqued my interest, because I don't believe in defeat.
And here I am. I probably would have never tried to play the game if it wasn't considered the most difficult learning curve in a modern game.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 05:39:57 pm »

TV tropes. it made me really interested and gave me a drive to master the game.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 08:21:19 pm »

A friend of mine recommended it to me. I wasn't really that interested until he started talking about the complexity, and detail, and Boatmurdered.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Raptomex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Pastime
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 01:00:36 am »

Heard about it when researching Prison Architect a little further after purchasing it. Loved the idea and depth. Once I saw some tilesets I downloaded it immediately.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 06:37:11 pm »

Someone posted an after game report in a forum I used to frequent in 2006. It was enough to get me into the game.

Frostea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 01:40:26 pm »

I recently just got into DF thanks to my sudden obsession with simulation games. I initially played the good old pharaoh/cleopatra and caesar games, then moved on to evil genius, then new ones, including rimworld and prison architect.

I thought, these games aren't enough for me. Then I recalled reading about DF on rockpapershotgun and ars technica. I had hilarity with stairs and construction in general on the first few hours that I played. Then I discovered the wiki and suddenly everything was a lot easier.

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 01:46:41 pm »

A friend of mine suggested it to me, and explained a few of his experiences with the game.  It seemed like something I'd like a lot, but having never played anything with ASCII or a steep learning curve, I was immediately discouraged, and did not come back to it for several months.  The reason I did come back to it was a car accident which gave me several weeks off work and made it impossible to speak for most of that time.  So, being alone and bored for a few weeks, I climbed the learning curve (4 years ago now) and have been playing dwarf fortress on and off ever since.

catpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2014, 03:37:46 pm »

In 2007 it was mentioned on jayisgames.com (Albeit its so uncasual). Back then I downloaded it, started it and watched some pretty wiered ASCII going on without me understanding anything. So I putted aside. A week later I read on the comments on the post about people talking about redirecting lava streams, finding caves, building silk farms, etc. so I gave it a second go with a tutorial. Played it through many months until I got to something else. Now recently came back for a reminder :)

Roostre

• Bay Watcher
  • DF addict since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2014, 11:11:07 am »

I first heard about DF by reading the Headshoots thread on the Let's Play Archive. It took me months to get a solid grip on it, but very worthwhile. Only after getting into DF did a friend tell me about Minecraft. I played it for about an hour, pining for DF the entire time. Never touched it since.
Quote from: Ronnie James Dio
Beware; you've found the answer.

knaveightt

• Bay Watcher
  • "Safe Gambler"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2014, 11:32:09 am »

I first heard about DF by reading the Headshoots thread on the Let's Play Archive.

Headshoots was the first LP I read (god damn landslantern), promptly followed by Boatmurdered. That's actually what prompted me to first play fortress mode.

fragfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 01:36:40 am »

There was an xkcd comic about it, I decided to see what the game was. Got put off by ASCII art (not my thing), but found out about graphic packs from the excellent wiki. Installed LNP, never looked back.

Carsomyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 02:01:29 pm »

I remember reading a forum discussion somewhere about the complexity of Paradox Interactive grand strategy games (Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron etc). Being a fan of PI, I was intrigued when someone described these games as 'Whack-A-Mole' in comparison to DF...

Also, as a more...ahem...mature gamer, I come from an era when the graphical limitation of hardware meant one was required to fill in the visual blanks with one's imagination. In short, DF makes me feel 30 years younger  :)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2014, 02:48:48 pm »

I remember reading a forum discussion somewhere about the complexity of Paradox Interactive grand strategy games (Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron etc). Being a fan of PI, I was intrigued when someone described these games as 'Whack-A-Mole' in comparison to DF...

Also, as a more...ahem...mature gamer, I come from an era when the graphical limitation of hardware meant one was required to fill in the visual blanks with one's imagination. In short, DF makes me feel 30 years younger  :)
That, is awesome. Fellow ASCII player, I take it? I grew up on ASCII stuff too, mainly because the computer I was allowed to use was "out of date", but still.

Also, welcome to the forums. :) We're glad to have you.

And you too, Fragfish, knaveightt. Welcome. :) (oh, and, a good number of us are xkcd fans too. lol)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 02:50:37 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Carsomyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2014, 03:34:01 pm »

Thanks for the welcome Talvieno...nice to meet you  :)

Well, I really started gaming with the next best (or worst, depending how you look at it!) to all-out ASCII...the ZX Spectrum! Some of the games were truly spellbinding (Knight Lore springs to mind). I also used to love the old-school text adventures...The Pawn seemed epic back then.
I then graduated into the Amiga era, and it strikes me that DF very much resembles, at a basic level at least, the original 'Settlers' game. What I mean is, this is a game where you don't directly control your little characters as such, but rather try to create the environment where they (hopefully successfully) do their own thing.
That's what I love about DF...although I'm a very long way from fully understanding all aspects, it's a game I could only have dreamed about all those years ago. Those little fellas really feel like living creatures with minds of their own...a remarkable achievement in my book.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5