Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: IRLRPG (HabitRPG Clone) [Status: In Progress]  (Read 3799 times)

Migue5356

• Bay Watcher
  • grisha5
    • View Profile
Re: IRLRPG (HabitRPG Clone) [Status: Nebulous Idea with No Code]
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 07:36:53 pm »

PTW
]hi guys,im back, who was missing me?

Y-you know. I'm just going to leave. You've all managed to thoroughly horrify me...

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: IRLRPG (HabitRPG Clone) [Status: In Progress]
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 09:53:44 pm »

Worked on some wireframes today. I’ve no design experience, but it can be redone if this project gets enough momentum to merit the attention of someone more skilled. We’ll just make do with what I make in the meantime.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 01:48:45 am »

I think that one of the main problems with Habit RPG is that it doesn't actually have that many RPG mechanics.

Perhaps there should be some sort of world map, or at least multiple locations? Different locations could have different drops, but also inflict more/less damage on the player. Multiple areas would allow levelling up to significantly boost the player's stats, while still ensuring that the player needs to be careful not to miss too many tasks.

Speaking of tasks, to-do lists should have optional due dates. You should be able to assign both soft and hard due dates; soft due dates would inflict a bit of damage every day past the due date, while hard due dates would inflict heavy damage and delete themselves once reached.

Due dates is something Habit keeps saying they're going to add, but instead they put all their time into implementing useless and buggy world boss fights that nobody really wants. Blah.

I think the real problem, though, is that there's so little content. Right now I have 339 gold coins and literally nothing to spend it on. And I will never have anything to spend it on ever again. Once you get maxed out equipment (which took me less than 2 months to do), there is never another chance to buy anything with your gold -- unless you buy a special item that let's you start over again at level 1 and change your class. Which, naturally, costs gems, not gold. OR, you can buy a subscription, and then be able to slowly transform gold into gems. But there's no way to continue without paying cash. It's one of the worst paywalls I've ever seen. And the worst part of all is that even with a subscription, there's really hardly any content left, anyway. Just quests, which are boring as they are now.

I agree that more RPG elements would help. Everything we do should build up something USEFUL. Those gold coins should be usable for something. There needs to be more consumbales, and more higher-level equipment. I'd say it should be possible for players to sell gems to other players for gold, but then, there's no use for gold as it is. The ideas of having multiple areas with different content in each is a good one. Maybe it would cost gold coins to change areas.

And I would add actual "fights" to the game. Completing tasks should fill up a power meter of some sort, and then you can unleash an attack on the monster you're fighting in your party. Finishing tasks shouldn't do nebulous damage to the monster: you'd have to actively decide to attack using points. And you shouldn't have to buy a quest in order to fight something. There should be random monsters, or you should be able to take your party and wander in the forest or whatever looking for enemies. In fact, I'd suggest that quests shouldn't be buyable at all. They should only exist as random drops you can get from fights, or something you can discover by traveling, so you have to keep playing and working in order to get them.

Yes, it's fine to have a pay shop, but Habit is doing it the wrong way. If we're going to include pay to play options, I think we should carefully consider the information in this Extra Credits video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhz9OXy86a0
And this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXA559KNopI

"The player has to ENJOY spending money on your game."

(I'm fine with just having it free for now, and we can all chip in a little money for the server.)

And Fenrir, you're awesome. Whatever you're making, it's awesome, because you're the only one making anything. As I said, if you're willing to teach me how the code works, I'm definitely willing to help in the future.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 04:11:02 pm »

I wanted to wait until I had something live that I could actually show you, but I felt bad for leaving this so long without news. I stopped working on this project for a while, but I’ve picked it up again.

Have a mockup:

I’m not a designer, but I think that’s okay for now. Don’t ask me about the green on the login button. I have no idea why that is there.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 04:59:29 am »

Soon it will be awesome.  Thanks for the update! :)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2014, 08:44:13 pm »

Progress has been made. Just a little stuck at present. AngularJS is awesome, but, right now, it’s bein’ a dick. Or I’m bein’ stupid. Either one.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2014, 08:55:32 pm »

* Worldmaster27 claps

Progress!

Migue5356

• Bay Watcher
  • grisha5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 09:26:32 pm »

* Migue5356 cheers!

Progress!!
]hi guys,im back, who was missing me?

Y-you know. I'm just going to leave. You've all managed to thoroughly horrify me...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2014, 01:19:06 am »

Huzzah!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2015, 10:27:06 pm »

Would you mind uploading the source code if you're no longer working on this?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 11:03:51 am »

Would you mind uploading the source code if you're no longer working on this?

I'm interested in doing something like this, but I think the balance between a usable "to do" list function and the RPG elements needs to be better than HabitRPG. Things like additional screens with the eggs hatching and stuff ended up becoming time wasters of their own. I can't see that there's a whole of functionality actually implemented in Fenrir's version so far.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 11:07:48 am by Reelya »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2015, 10:46:33 am »

Just popping in to say that if this ever becomes more than a login screen I can offer decent hosting for free. Server's in Seoul with good up/down (since it's at a university) but no data safety (no raid, no whatever). On the plus side,  no fees! :P

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: IRLRPG (HabitRPG Clone) [Status: In Progress?]
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2015, 12:07:09 pm »

So this is a rough flowchart of how this project has been going so far. Unfortunately, Reelya is right in that there isn’t much functionality at all, so I doubt the source code is worth your time. I’ll give it to you if you insist, though.

I’d like to apologize for promising things that I’d reasons to believe wouldn’t happen. It’s not like this is the first project I’ve dropped, so there were reasons to be more reserved in what I promised. I didn’t pay attention to that. Regardless of why I didn’t motivate myself to get the job done, I’m still frustrated with myself for not learning from experience and controlling my own expectations about what I could accomplish.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Clearly, there is still interest in the project. Without a single champion, I don’t have a lot of hope for this to get off the ground. It looks like Sappho at least had a lot of motivation to see this project completed, but she didn’t have the time herself to see it done. I don’t have a good solution for a situation like this. Setting up some kind of a accountability system whereby the people with motivation and no time can keep those with time and less motivation on track is the only thing that comes to mind, but it sounds kind of brittle (and, AFAIK, I’m the only one with the knowhow interested in championing this project, despite what my performance might imply). I’d be interested in hearing if anyone has a better plan.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2015, 10:24:22 am »

I am necroing this to announce that I've got a plan. A serious plan. With lots of details. And I'm finally properly learning how to code, so I can actually practically do something to assist in creating this thing that I've dreamt up.

I'm currently organizing all my notes onto a Trello board. It's private, but I can invite anyone to be a part of the group who is interested in contributing or even just having a look and maybe making a suggestion or two. Anyone who wants to check it out, just send me a PM with your email address (I need it to invite you - I promise I do not make spams). You'll have to sign up for a Trello account if you don't already have one, but that's easily done.

I'm really pretty serious about this, and I'd like feedback from others on how much of it is really doable and who can practically do different things. My plan is ambitious and I expect some parts to be cut back (certainly at the start) and changed and whatnot, but I've laid a lot of things out in detail, so I think it's worth discussing actually making this happen.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2015, 02:30:05 am »

PTW

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 [2]