Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Magic the gathering concepts in DF  (Read 2135 times)

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magic the gathering concepts in DF
« on: March 27, 2014, 03:51:45 pm »

I had been wondering what ideas from a card game could be applied to Dwarf fortress.

Like what would the 5 to 6 magic colors need to be modded into this game?

Also, the ten Ravnican guilds or the Five Alara Shards.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 03:53:19 pm by Zavvnao »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Magic the gathering concepts in DF
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 03:58:50 pm »

I know MtG well, and you cant add it in any sensible way into DF. At least thats my opinion, otherwise I would have done a MtG mod, instead of just a few easter egges in MDF.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 04:05:14 pm »

What is MDF?

I meant like some civs would have spells similar to the magic types.

Like Goblins having fire spells, and things like Elves using Giant Growth like effects and such.

I mean with spells that could work:

Red Magic: Searing Spear, Lava Axe.

White Magic: Token spells.

Green Magic, Giant Growth, Tangle.

Blue magic: Fleeting Distraction, Frost Breath.

Black magic: Doom blade, Crippling Blight.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 05:06:50 pm »

Ah I get what you're hinting towards, hence the term "concepts" since right now im not feeling very wordy i'll just post what "spells" I created for Regen

Spoiler: generic spells (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: fire spells (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: ice spells (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: earth spells (click to show/hide)

all the spell groups are created from the generic spells except some like SILENCE, BLIND, and MIND_SPIKE those are given to my mage castes (more or less) of course I have a "time" based system in place where the longer a creature is a mage the "better" the spells it learns.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 05:38:26 pm »

Mdf = Masterwork Dwarf Fortress, a rather large mod.

Most spells that target creatures and the creatures themselves can be created, but a turnbased card game in a rts/simulation... thats hard. Especially with the almost nonexistent AI.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 05:39:35 pm »

Thank you greatly ^^ Mtg magic is flexible and different in each world, so the concepts can work in df.

and thank you also, Meph, I keep forgetting about Masterwork.

And I did NOT mean the card thing at all, I meant the magic and things in it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 04:50:24 am »

Yes, i guess it could be done. Phyrexians especially would be interesting to write.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 07:11:09 am »

Yes ^^ Phyrexian mana is my favorite type. So Phyrexians in DF would be interesting. Maybe something like a group of mini mods that you can turn on/off depending on the Plane you want to recreate?

Also, I wonder if certain mechanics can be applied, like maybe df hack or something similar can be used to re-create the exalted mechanic from Bant? I imagine it could be similar to a martial trance.

sonofperturabo

• Bay Watcher
  • you can never have enough fortifications
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 10:36:40 pm »

i have already been attempting adding phyrexians to masterwork if you need any help. i also have read most of the novels and fluff so i can help you there as well.
iron within, iron withouth

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 12:06:13 am »

I could see adding most of the unique races to DF - Kor are more or less human but with unique weapons and culture, and DF already has vampires/merfolk/goblins/etc, so most of the tribes are in there.

Zendikar would be awesome, though it'd be hard to achieve the whole 'the terrain is dynamic and murderous' vibe.

On the other hand, Eldrazi megabeasts!
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 01:47:01 am »

I just am unsure how to start as I have never done modding like this before.

I thought of this after seeing how in the Mario world mod somone made, they where able o make size changing potions. That made me think of Giant Growth, then MTG.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 08:51:14 am »

What is MDF?

I meant like some civs would have spells similar to the magic types.

Like Goblins having fire spells, and things like Elves using Giant Growth like effects and such.

I mean with spells that could work:

Red Magic: Searing Spear, Lava Axe.

White Magic: Token spells.

Green Magic, Giant Growth, Tangle.

Blue magic: Fleeting Distraction, Frost Breath.

Black magic: Doom blade, Crippling Blight.

I play MtG all the time, and I love it, but this is in my opinion the worst thing about that game. The best games are ones where people go crazy with creative recombinations, and forcing all the colors into stereotypical molds too much has always I think made the game more stale. The dual lands and rich overlaps and artifacts and things facilitate more fun. Also, from a roleplaying/story perspective, "green = nature, red = fire, wheeee!" is pretty lame honestly. The flavor cards in MtG are also way more likely to be set based or card title based in their cool flavor, not the highly stereotypical broad strokes.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 09:26:25 am »

The things he posted are not entirely correct anyway. Check this:

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 10:27:01 am »

Dwarf fortress in general is overwhelmingly Izzet-colored (blue/red). Blue on the part of the overseer, red on the part of the dwarves... Maybe a splash of black
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 10:30:46 am »

"Short-sighted, spontanious action". Yeah, that sounds like dwarves.
Pages: [1] 2