Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Adventures in mod testing.  (Read 3089 times)

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures in mod testing.
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 12:12:41 am »

When I first learned modding I added as many strange things I could to a species just to see how they worked, I ended up making a flying creature that couldnt die from bleeding, didnt need to breathe, it easily swam in water, was quite quick, had no brain and the whole body was made out of a stone like material and was super fire immune. It could also breathe fire through its torso and was glowing in the dark. I had unwittingly made a stone colossus that could fly and breathe fire which means it was essentially unkillable. It was cool as socks but I didnt like the fact that it was unbeatable.

Another time I made a race of lizardmen that had a poisonous injection in its tail, unfortunately I fucked up on the poisons temperature and it essentially froze creatures to death when it was injected.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2014, 09:27:54 am »

Another time I made a race of lizardmen that had a poisonous injection in its tail, unfortunately I fucked up on the poisons temperature and it essentially froze creatures to death when it was injected.

*takes notes*

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
Re: FAIRIES!
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2014, 09:01:20 pm »

Spoiler: Stone Sense Fu! (click to show/hide)

This here, gentlemen, is the picture of progress! After fiddling around with stonesense, I have the first rudimentary isco. sprites down for the fairies in my upcoming Fae Fortress civ (or, the bare skeleton of what will later become a full-fledged civ), with all there being left are the additional hair styles, colors (big emphasis, as fairies have the largest hair-color variations of anything in the game), clothing, professions, well, everything really, but figuring out how to get sprites to display in sorta 3D is an achievement unto itself!

Perhaps I'll make it threadworthy before the end of the year (once I figure out how to balance sunshine generators and separate the modded gubbins from the base game files, at any rate.)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 09:04:48 pm by Propman »
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2014, 03:49:23 pm »

I did something like that with a creature's bite attack. I used the dragon's material temperature mods, and found out that [SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL] applies to venom too. So now I have a dragon-man type creature that instantly melts anything it bites. It leave's the victim's belongings in a neat pile for collection, but the creature will never be able to enjoy ice cream. I'm actually okay with it.

I also found out awhile that the TRAILING_DUST_FLOW special attack can be used as a (very unreliable) jumpjet. I can easily clear 1z high obstacles with it, but the trajectory is unpredictable and you're very lucky if you don't get hurt just simply using it. I've wondered if different materials could effect the reliability of these rocket jumps, but I never had time to investigate and am currently working on other projects.

Oh, and there was the time I accidentally copied and pasted a duplicate creature entry into the same file. This somehow resulted in all the civ races becoming other things during world gen. Dwarves became humans, humans became goblins, goblins became cave crocodiles, and elves became werewolves. I mean how do I even respond to that?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 03:56:07 pm by Blastbeard »
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2014, 10:58:30 pm »

My first attempt at modding creatures produced some bipedal insects with almost no connected body parts. In the arena, they would push off eachothers body parts until there was just a upper and lower body left. Even to this day, they still leave scraps of skin around occasionally.

Then I modded kobolds to be playable, but didn't give then the ability to make socks. Kobolds who had been fine without foot coverings their entire lives arrived at the fortress and went beserk (or melancholy, or stark raving mad) because of the lack of socks.

Also involving kobolds, a caravan message appeared, but no caravan. A while later, messages appeared saying it had left. Looks like the dream of ghost wagons came true.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2014, 08:45:48 pm »

I modded a creature that could kick a dwarf so hard that He landed off screen. Fun times.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2014, 12:55:43 pm »

Making spooky scary skeleton bogeymen was an ordeal. I didn't want a human-sized bone colossus, and I tried several methods. It always worked, but it was a mass of error that barely functioned. Often, parts of the creature would be made of nothing, it would be like a whole skeleton lacking the lower body or some other body part. As cool as that is, the errorlog wouldn't stop going on about it. Took me forever to get the errorlog to stop printing a page of errors about the creature.
And now that they work, they don't try to attack me when they appear at night. They just run away and vanish, and I have a sneaking suspicion the real bogeymen are killing them off screen if they catch them.
Bogeymen are dicks, they won't let my custom creatures join in on the fun.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2014, 09:54:29 pm »

Accidentally duped raws, got a kobold based dragon civ. Also, is there a "right" way to dupe raws so the game won't crash much, but generate strange stuff?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: 1 2 [3]