Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Full Loot PVP Games  (Read 33370 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Full Loot PVP Games
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 05:19:43 am »

Sorry for bringing back such an old thread but I could not agree more with the poster. It seems as though games like this have been phased out by the cookie cutter "casual" rpg games. I played Ultima Online until they ruined it with that trammel/felluca stuff and I don't think anything has really been able to capture that sandbox feel for me since. I'd be interested in trying another game but everything kind of disappoints me.

Eve is the ultimate sandbox.  Join us!
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Longjon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 05:23:58 am »

I've tried to get into eve so many times but I just don't think it's for me. I love how all the features sound but when I am acutally playing the game I'm just not feelin it. Mabye there's something i'm missing.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 10:21:10 am »

Did you join a corp?  Solo Eve is a lot less fun.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 10:28:40 am »

Shadowbane is not dead.  They just recently launched an open beta of a revamped and much improved version.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 11:21:01 am »

Shadowbane is not dead.  They just recently launched an open beta of a revamped and much improved version.
i dont exactly remember, but when i tried to download it, the website was either down with the announcement that the game closed in 2009, or that it had 0 players online. i would like to play these types of games knowing that it has people behind them. also the fact that they dont have a working website + the website i did find (http://shadowbaneemulator.com) does not feature any downloads....it kind of doesnt look good for the game

also added 7 days to die to the list

also life is feudal got released. although it looks pretty horrible
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 11:23:49 am by Geltor »

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 11:51:41 am »

This is quite recent, as in the last few weeks or so.  The emulator version just launched the open beta.  I'm not sure they can actually host a client download for very long, so you might need to do some digging but it's certainly up and running. 

http://shadowbaneemulator.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 11:55:27 am by Mishrak »

Longjon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 03:34:19 pm »

Did you join a corp?  Solo Eve is a lot less fun.

No I went solo, to be fair I probably never gave eve a full chance because it's such a different style of game the learning curve is totally different.

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 03:45:59 pm »

I played EVE for the better part of 4 years and saw pretty much every aspect of pvp outside of lowsec corps and faction warfare.  It's really fun if you can get past some of the really slow periods of time.  Or the politics.

EVE is a people game first, an internet spaceship game or a PVP game second.   When most of the people I enjoyed playing the game with quit playing or were inaccessible to me (different alliances, becoming extremely busy FCs/alliance leaders), I grew incredibly bored with it.

Longjon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 04:55:10 pm »

This is how i felt about ultima online even though it had that grind aspect and people could be pretty successful alone. The player interactions are what made the game. There were even features that catered to certain antisocial behavior like being a thief and stealing from other players or being labeled a murderer and just becoming a pariah. I have not seen any game that can capture this level of freedom and still be rewarding.

bigjaredmonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace-ace ace-ace of ace-aces
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 05:57:44 pm »

Don't play this kind of game if you want to enjoy it.
simple as that.
unless you plan on not keeping that sword of whatever for more than a minute.
This is a birch door. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. On the item is an image of ravens in birch.
Noob fortress, a succession game for noobs.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157847.0

Pabstling

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 01:27:48 pm »

Hey Geltor,

I've tried all those games as well + rust ( great game btw but it's still in development and way to many hackers), and was wondering if you had found anything else?
please let me know, thanks bud.

greenthehide

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2014, 04:35:45 am »

You can try other-life it's free to play.

If you want to see some videos before you play it you can check out

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Pk26l4WhzT6tGFXhZrNIw/videos

Its based off eternal-lands which has been running for about more than 10 years now.

Visit http://www.other-life.com/ to play.

Hartwin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2014, 05:19:24 pm »

Might as well add Pathfinder to the list :)

From the website goblinworks.com

One of the most controversial parts of the game design for Pathfinder Online is the presence of widespread (but not unlimited) player vs. player combat.

We believe that PvP is a crucial component of the sandbox experience.  Our game is predicated on the objective of maximizing meaningful human interaction and there is no experience more meaningful and more interactive than characters fighting each other.  Combat between characters gives value and depth to every game system and drives the economy, the battle for territory and the objective of becoming a more powerful and versatile character.  Human opponents make the game feel real in ways AI opponents never can. Remember that there is only one server for Pathfinder Online so everyone will share the same game space.  There is not "PvE only" version of the game.

In most areas of the game world your character can be attacked by other characters.  This system is not optional.  Some players are very concerned that this kind of system leads inexorably to what we call a "murder simulator" - a game that degenerates into endless ganking, griefing, and harassment that ruins the experience for everyone.

Goblinworks is committed to the idea that we can re-introduce PvP as a meaningful part of the ways players interact without allowing the game to degenerate in that fashion.
Have a good day :)

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2014, 04:33:21 pm »

An old MMORPG (Although perhaps not so massive by today's standards) from 1995, which is still going, called Meridian 59.  The most active server for the game is the relatively new open source server, which you can check out at www.openmeridian.org.

First off, it's full loot on death, non consensual PVP, pretty harsh penalties for dying, so it sounds like it's up your alley.
Admittedly, the PVE is a bit grindy, although they just recently updated the monster AI, and it's apparently much better.
There aren't any character classes, you just allocate your stats at character creation, select a couple starting skills and/or spells, and you're off to the races.  Spells and skills improve as you use them, HP improves as you kill enemies slowly over time, and getting good enough at the spells or skills unlocks the next level of them.

You can kill other players after you've advanced a little bit, killing someone else marks you as a murderer, meaning other people can then kill you without themselves becoming murderers.  There's kind of a player killer/hunter dynamic, although with the somewhat low population the player killers are a bit more common.

It's had pretty much the same playerbase for 15 years, but new people do come and go from time to time.  I recommend people try it out.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2014, 10:21:47 pm »

IIRC, Continuum, formerly Subspace, formerly Sniper, had some modes that sort of qualified.  And it was a pretty fun game last time I played it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3