Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Duke Knight's Momentum is up for revision? Which version of the skill would you prefer?

Current one, unchanged.
+4 AS and +5 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+2 AS and +3 DMG on Player Phase, with additional +2 AS and +2 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+1 AS and +1.5 DMG for each space moved up to 4 spaces.
Current one but AS bonus is converted to DR from the end of the Player Phase until the next one.
I don't know but I want to see the results.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 300

Author Topic: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! 10 Years of FEF!  (Read 275251 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem on Forums Balance and Ideas Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 03:43:55 pm »

I also throw in my acceptance to the knight's skill.

As another notice, I've planned on doing what BMM said for Bandits and Pirates that they can double obstacles, such as walls, doors, etc. Thoughts? Seems like a small but useful ability to give them.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 03:45:45 pm »

He told me that too, I'll put that on the list.
IIRC he said that Raid extended to obstacles.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 04:59:26 pm »

Hell, Berserkers can reduce it to 0 in one hit if I remember right. Don't see why Raid/Pillage shouldn't work on obstacles too.

How about giving Cliffs a terrain bonus for the fliers that can use it?

Oh, and there should be something done about no native S rank Anima users, I feel.

Speaking of magic, Druid Dark magic, Ward Holy magic, and maybe Thunder magic needs to be adjusted, I feel. Druid and Ward are simply a bit 'meh' right now, and Haspen's making Druid magic Effective is nice, but also obsoletes Judgement magic by affecting larger variety and giving bonus to hit, besides the opponent's penalty to hit. Wards just have rather limited use, and Thunder magic seems like it should maybe be a bit less accurate.

Most Anima magic seems like it's a bit too accurate to me, though, so.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 05:08:09 pm »

Yes, but one at a time, please. I get lost with so many things at once :P

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 05:22:36 pm »

Then could we talk about balancing some of the weapons?

Pilums vs. Javelins, Sidearms vs. Anything(but especially swords), Thrusting vs. Slashing, Bludgeoning vs. Hacking, Polearms vs. Piercing, Druid Magic, Ward Magic, Judgement Magic if we screw with Druid too much, Crossbows(maybe), and Thunder magic(maybe)?

Starting with Druid Magic, please. :p
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 05:25:45 pm »

I feel like we should do class ability balance before weapon balance.

But pilums need nerf bad.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 05:26:05 pm »

Take a look at 1.22 weapon's first, I know they changed some stuff and it may save us work. Wards and Druid magic is largely the same though.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2014, 05:32:12 pm »

If I may say only one thing about pilums.

My idea is that pilums prevent double attacks, without giving double attacks themselves. Only Soliferrum gets double attacks.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2014, 05:36:00 pm »

What. Making them objectively worse than Javelins??? I would just make them less accurate, maybe improve Javelin accuracy a little bit, or reduce the MT on them some.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2014, 05:37:48 pm »

Then could we talk about balancing some of the weapons?

Pilums vs. Javelins, Sidearms vs. Anything(but especially swords), Thrusting vs. Slashing, Bludgeoning vs. Hacking, Polearms vs. Piercing, Druid Magic, Ward Magic, Judgement Magic if we screw with Druid too much, Crossbows(maybe), and Thunder magic(maybe)?

Starting with Druid Magic, please. :p

What about weapon types doing extra damage to certain enemies? We all know that bows do effective damage to flying units, but what if a Crossbow did effective damage to an armored unit, since they're made to punch through armor? Or the polearm subtype doing a bit more damage against cavalry, since the purpose of a polearm is to counter a charge?

Weapons that are thrown could still be used in melee, but would likely get a debuff as well, since weapons like the Pilum were made exclusively for throwing- you wouldn't be able to exchange more than a few blows with someone before the tip bends or breaks off, as it's designed to do. A Javelin would fare slightly better with being used as a hand to hand weapon, but it wouldn't be as effective as the Pilum would be when thrown, etc etc.

Also, looting from enemy corpses. I'd like it if that were a thing- even if mooks just carried base iron weapons, it would be better than resorting to a less favored weapon when your Magic Spear of the Macguffin +10 finally breaks, and you're facing the mean general in front of you with nothing more than a half-used killer bow, for example. If you wanted to balance this, you could make it so weapons picked up only had half or a quarter durability, making them effectively useless to sell at shops.
I need to put something interesting here.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2014, 05:39:47 pm »

The numbers might need tweaking, but yes. My idea behind this is that javelins are for offensive/fast lance users that can double with them and pilums for defensive/slow lance users who get doubled all the time.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2014, 05:41:20 pm »

On with Gamer's idea, how about this: pilums have a range of 2. Just 2. Not 1-2, just 2. Plays well with the knight's class ability too, which is flavorful.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2014, 05:44:26 pm »

Pilums were used by Roman soldiers to shatter shields or make them cumbersome by adding pilum's weight before melee charge; additionally the thin metal part between spearhead and handle bent in such way pilum couldn't be pulled out and tossed back.

* Haspen cleverly disguised PTW.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2014, 05:48:44 pm »

Pilums were used by Roman soldiers to shatter shields or make them cumbersome by adding pilum's weight before melee charge; additionally the thin metal part between spearhead and handle bent in such way pilum couldn't be pulled out and tossed back.

Which is why they'd make poor melee weapons.

Soft iron wouldn't stand up to much abuse.
I need to put something interesting here.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2014, 05:49:51 pm »

Which is why they'd make poor melee weapons.

Soft iron wouldn't stand up to much abuse.

Which brings us perfectly into the idea I like:

On with Gamer's idea, how about this: pilums have a range of 2. Just 2. Not 1-2, just 2. Plays well with the knight's class ability too, which is flavorful.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 300