Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Duke Knight's Momentum is up for revision? Which version of the skill would you prefer?

Current one, unchanged.
+4 AS and +5 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+2 AS and +3 DMG on Player Phase, with additional +2 AS and +2 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+1 AS and +1.5 DMG for each space moved up to 4 spaces.
Current one but AS bonus is converted to DR from the end of the Player Phase until the next one.
I don't know but I want to see the results.

Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 300

Author Topic: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! 10 Years of FEF!  (Read 283474 times)

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
  • loveless power is abusive powerless love is anemic
    • View Profile
Re: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! FEF2 HAS FINISHED!
« Reply #3195 on: September 17, 2016, 05:14:25 pm »

It also looks a little strange that all the vegetation is concentrated in the corners of the tiles.

It's supposed to make things look neater when you have actual units on the map, since naturally they'll be in the center of the tile. The key word is, of course, supposed to.

I suspected that it was something like that. It's a reasonable idea, but if people move their characters into the forest or onto the road, then your efforts will be for naught! Not a major issue in any case.

Version 2 of my village map. Hopefully it looks much better than the first one. Since the river is now through the middle of the map I added in a couple more rivers/fords so that it's not as an impassible barrier.

I'd say that's a huge improvement. It looks much livelier and more natural.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: September 17, 2016, 05:52:50 pm »

I'd say that's a huge improvement. It looks much livelier and more natural.

Thanks. It's was your advice that helped me the most with it after all.

I suspected that it was something like that. It's a reasonable idea, but if people move their characters into the forest or onto the road, then your efforts will be for naught! Not a major issue in any case.

Fuck. You're right. Having a unit on a road looks completely disgusting. Thankfully the forests seem to be okay, since most of the tree is blocked behind the map sprite. So I won't have to redo them, just the cobblestone ones. At least you pointed it out instead of me realizing it during a mission and completely changing everything.

Also: What would be the best place for me to get advice/assistance with mugs? None of the default sprites have the amount of worry/anxiousness that I want, and obviously my skills as a spriter are not up to the task to add it. Better than me spamming this thread all the time. Which I have been doing a lot.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: September 17, 2016, 06:17:53 pm »

This thread is an A-OK place to ask for sprite assistance, since most of our spriting community follows it. Alternatively, you could ask people in the IRC but I don't believe you're ever in there.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: September 18, 2016, 02:49:21 am »

SeriousConcentrate is the one who make emotion-variants for my mugs if I ask him nicely, so yeah v;
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: September 18, 2016, 02:50:46 am »

Except I'm the worst at everything ever so probably better to ask another spriter.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: September 18, 2016, 02:51:39 am »

Except I'm the worst at everything ever so probably better to ask another spriter.

He's lying so he can procrastinate more :P
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: September 18, 2016, 08:40:04 am »

Well everyone I've talked to so far has said that they are the worse and that I should talk to X instead (who then says that they are also not that good and I should talk to Y instead). So SC isn't deviating from the norm here.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: September 18, 2016, 08:44:36 am »

Yeah but I'm the only one who had the last two mugs he showed (Empress Grifen, the shading on Lautrec) regarded as shit and also the only spriter who does pretty much the exact opposite of every single one of Gun's 'do this for mugs' rules. :v So unlike everyone else I actually have a legitimate reason for saying 'fuck it' and retiring.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: September 18, 2016, 09:34:53 am »

I didn't said Empress Grifen by you was shit v:

I said that whoever made the other version made it a bit better :v
SigFlags!

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: September 18, 2016, 11:16:41 am »

You gave me Miguel. The best sprite. For that I can only have respect for your work. ^.^
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: September 18, 2016, 02:24:00 pm »

I like your work SC :(
It's FEF, not FEOF

Praefectus Screptum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: September 18, 2016, 04:55:22 pm »

Yeah but I'm the only one who had the last two mugs he showed (Empress Grifen, the shading on Lautrec) regarded as shit and also the only spriter who does pretty much the exact opposite of every single one of Gun's 'do this for mugs' rules. :v So unlike everyone else I actually have a legitimate reason for saying 'fuck it' and retiring.
All I can say is don't let that get to you. The same way there are discouraging comments there are also some that will encourage you to keep going, so just try to filter the extra negativity and focus on the positive ones to at least have a reason to keep going. I still think you did a good work on Lautrec's shading, you saw how terrible I am at shading, and honestly these new mugs I sent you via PMs only will look good once get they a proper shading. And while I am still learning I can at least create armored mugs from nothing instead of editing an existing mug, so shrugging off excessive negative comments is what I did to not give up yet.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: September 18, 2016, 05:46:32 pm »

I'm sorry, but "excessive negative comments"? :v

I feel myself and others are somewhat misrepresented by that comment. By you as well, SC. Constructive criticism is not "excessive negative comments". Honest feedback is not "excessively negative". If you make something and people point out mistakes, don't take it as a personal insult. If you make something and people prefer something else, it's not a slur on your artistic talents.

No, the shading on Lautrec wasn't good. Shiny metal doesn't look like that. Note the distinct areas of lighter and darker shades. You've made other stuff as well, stuff that's good. Enough people have said it it's actually kind of irritating you keep up with the woe-is-me-everyone-hates-my-stuff act.

Guess what? I've made bad mugs before, as well. My attempt at the headdress for the inca mug, my first attempt at making a mug with glasses. They weren't good, and people said as such, but I've not then just started talking about how people say my work is shit and calling it "excessively negative comments".

What you should do is look at the mistakes that have been pointed out and try to fix them, or try to fix it for the next mug you do. You can't improve without criticism. To just... dismiss it is missing the point entirely.
And while I am still learning I can at least create armored mugs from nothing instead of editing an existing mug, so shrugging off excessive negative comments is what I did to not give up yet.

Nice backhanded comment there.
If you're trying to create art from scratch, it's even more imperative that you listen to criticism to improve beyond your current stage. Otherwise you won't get better and you'll keep making the same mistakes. And quite frankly, there are mistakes. You can stick your fingers in your ears if you want, but you'll not improve that way. Art is a learning process.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Praefectus Screptum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: September 18, 2016, 06:01:27 pm »

First, if you took it as a message towards you, that's not my problem. And no, not really there is a fine line between constructive criticism and -not- being able to word yourself properly, turning your "constructive" criticism into something rude or negative. And don't come up with the whole "blunt" thing, because I know people who are direct with their opinion and don't sound like that. If anything it seems you are the one taking as personal insult as I was talking about the issue in general there. And by excessive negative comments, I wasn't talking about what happened moments ago, I was talking about comments that are literally just trash-talking about something you worked on, a feedback without proper criticism.

Saying the "metal looks like plastic" isn't a way to approach, and for your information I barely post my mugs in this thread, so I couldn't care less if yo are going to come up with something like that.  Guess what? My mugs were pretty bad before-I mean really bad, but I had been guided by people who were able to provide -proper- criticism, so because I chose to ignore your comment don't get bothered. As far as I know people aren't forced to attended to random people's wishes. So don't come up with this claiming that I am ignoring criticism in general, simply because I am ignoring -yours- in specific.

And that's not a backhand comment, you reached the point of taking it to personal issue if you think that message was pointed to someone in specific, because I was simply giving SC an example. Otiros' first mug was literally an armor edit of a mook before SC created a new one for me, and Tantallos' mask was based on a hood from a random FE boss. So my only suggestion for you is to word your criticism better if you don't want people to misunderstand your position, because honestly I didn't buy the whole "blunt" thing at all. Cael is very direct about the things I have to fix, it is literally just "this or that could use a bit of change", not "this looks way off, it doesn't look like a visor at all". And I won't reply to your comments here anymore, this thread isn't for pointless discussions, and I would rather avoid this turning into a bigger issue than it already is.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 06:07:05 pm by Praefectus Screptum »

Melissa

• Bay Watcher
  • Ssssss~
    • View Profile
    • My stream!
« Reply #3209 on: September 18, 2016, 06:22:44 pm »

hi, dunno what the big drama is really about, but from the last few exchanges, praef, it feels like you're just not able to handle it when someone says something is wrong with your work. Especially your last example,

Cael is very direct about the things I have to fix, it is literally just "this or that could use a bit of change", not "this looks way off, it doesn't look like a visor at all".

If someone wording something like that is all it takes for you to become frustrated, claim it as an "overly negative comment", and ignore them, then you may want to dial it back, step away from the keyboard, and come back later. There's a level of sensitivity that people should have towards these things, and yours is... Way too high.

If you want actual advice on the mess in your avatar, voila:

Here is my avatar, and while the armor is not bright, it has depth, which is the thing lacking the most in yours. It's barely shaded, shaded poorly elsewhere, and the colors are far too yellow, not golden. Which is odd to me because there are plenty of golden yellow or orange yellow swatches of color that exist in FE which would work much better with the proper shading.

As well here, you can see I'm showing light reflecting off of it on the shoulder pads, with the way I've used the second shade to cordon off an area. It makes it metallic at first glance, especially at typical GBA size.

Again, the armor isn't bright, but it has depth, which is very important, even if you can't manage to give the armor that metallic sheen. I would highly suggest going back and working on your things more before getting on the soapbox of what should and should not be said. I may not have seniority in the bay12 community, but when it comes to spriting, I know a fair bit more than all of you, especially in regards to what is or isn't "criticism".
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 06:25:00 pm by Melissa »
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 300