Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Duke Knight's Momentum is up for revision? Which version of the skill would you prefer?

Current one, unchanged.
+4 AS and +5 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+2 AS and +3 DMG on Player Phase, with additional +2 AS and +2 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+1 AS and +1.5 DMG for each space moved up to 4 spaces.
Current one but AS bonus is converted to DR from the end of the Player Phase until the next one.
I don't know but I want to see the results.

Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 300

Author Topic: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! 10 Years of FEF!  (Read 275361 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! FEF2 HAS FINISHED!
« Reply #3420 on: January 07, 2017, 05:53:52 pm »

And that someone who had actually started on an FEF tool finished it. :P If I had both of those things I might try to run one, it's not like I don't have ideas and time.
We're working on it! GUNIN's working on it. I'm mostly staring at his javascript without comprehending how that loads character files.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: January 08, 2017, 09:24:22 am »

I'm with SerCon; some sort of tool would make the actual running of an FEF a far less gargantuan timesink, and thus open the door for prospective GMs that have plot ideas a-plenty but maybe not the time to run a few dozen dice rolls and manual stat comparisons every day.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: January 08, 2017, 09:50:02 am »

Maybe the people working on the tool could post progress here so others can weigh in and possibly advance the work faster.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3423 on: January 08, 2017, 12:16:13 pm »

FEF Calculator Progress Update #1 (January 8, 2017)
Work started in early December, 2016? Perhaps a little bit before? It was based on work I had done months prior on a FEF website that I made for a school project, which was supposed to include a working calculator that could run FEF battles. After several weeks of work, it was in a testable state but was nowhere near complete enough to be used as a tool for playing the game.

This guy right here is the big breakthrough lately. At first I was thinking we'd need to actually do some kind of file upload system but now it's looking like I could make things entirely based in a single HTML page.
Code: [Select]
// set up character stat arrays
function setCharStats(charSheet) { // the charSheet argument should be the ID of the input box that receives the pasted character sheet
    var reg = new RegExp(/\d{1,3}(?![\d%]))/gm);    // regular expression that parses the integers out and ignores stat growth percentages by detecting '%' signs following integers
    var str = document.getElementById(charSheet).value; // when you instantiate a new setCharStats make sure the charSheet argument is closed in single quotes, ex. setCharStats('input1')
    var res = str.match(reg);

// create methods for character stats to improve readability later on!
this.health = res[0];
this.strength = res[1];
this.magic = res[2];
this.skill = res[3];
this.constitution = res[4];
this.aid = res[5];
this.luck = res[6];
this.defence = res[7];
this.resistance = res[8];
this.speed = res[9];
this.move = res[10]; // move might not be needed now but there's no reason not to define it

// create methods for weapon stats
this.attack = res[11];
this.hit = res[12];
this.attackSkill = res[13];
this.evasion = res[14];
this.critical = res[15];
this.dodge = res[16];
}

It turns a text input into an array containing just the values I need in order to operate, then assigns them to intuitive sounding methods that I can call later when I need the stat. Basically you plug in your Current Stats and the Battle Stats of the weapon a character is using, and it automatically plugs those numbers into the calculator.

In order for your input to work correctly:
1. All of the values must be filled in. If a stat isn't used, it needs to be a 0, not a - and not blank, otherwise it skips that stat and all the stats below it will fill in the gap. It also cannot have any extraneous values other than growth percentages for character stats.
2. You must post Current Stats, THEN Battle Stats, otherwise AT is going to be used for HP calculations, Hit will be used for Strength calculations, and so on.
3. If you include growth percentages for Current Stats, they must be followed by a percent sign! The regular expression I used grabs all integers, EXCEPT those followed by percent symbols.

Spoiler: Valid Inputs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Invalid Input (click to show/hide)

I could probably develop more foolproof logic that accounts for some of these mistakes but right now, I think it's simple enough to move on so I can actually get this thing into a testable state.

Here's a working example I developed:
http://www.w3schools.com/code/tryit.asp?filename=FBJPMJI6PBI6

Try changing the stat values in the input box, then hitting the Create button to see the array change.

Later on, I can probably use this framework I've developed in order to spit out formatted character sheets.

TL;DR: When the calculator is finished running battles will be as simple as copying text from character sheets and dumping them into text boxes, then pushing a button.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 12:25:50 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: January 08, 2017, 01:13:19 pm »

If I'm not mistaken you could use that regex with a small variation to get the progression values to include a level roll function, right?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3425 on: January 08, 2017, 05:37:24 pm »

If I'm not mistaken you could use that regex with a small variation to get the progression values to include a level roll function, right?
I sure could. The same expression that excludes the growth rates can be modified to grab them.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 05:41:24 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

I_Like_Pi

• Bay Watcher
  • The way of Pi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: January 12, 2017, 01:44:44 am »

I'm posting announce that I'm in the final stages of starting a new FEF as people in the IRC may know. But first I figure I should do an interest check before I actually go and make it, I want to be sure that there's enough interest to man the game with active players (even if I'm not really in a place to judge how active anyone is).

Here's the World Map and the current LORE.

Additionally, it will be based on 1.3, probably with most of Haspen's changes from FEF6.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:18:43 pm by I_Like_Pi »
My Fire Emblem on Forums: Magi Wars OOC | IC
Magi Wars sidestory: Rotting Empire OOC | IC

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: January 12, 2017, 02:42:11 am »

Oh? Nice.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: January 12, 2017, 03:28:26 am »

If you're looking for an active player, I'm always around. :P
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: January 12, 2017, 03:31:51 am »

One question:  if everyone in Australia Austria Astrasia is a blacksmith or a soldier, who mines the metal? :P

I_Like_Pi

• Bay Watcher
  • The way of Pi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: January 12, 2017, 03:50:25 am »

Imports from Eslana, mostly.
My Fire Emblem on Forums: Magi Wars OOC | IC
Magi Wars sidestory: Rotting Empire OOC | IC

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: January 12, 2017, 03:56:30 am »

So what will the players be?

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: January 12, 2017, 04:30:35 am »

Count me interested too. I still couldn't get to play in a single FEF. I often get analysis paralysis from forum games, but hopefully the cooperative format will help me out with that.

What kind of player count are you aiming for?
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: January 12, 2017, 06:43:13 am »

I'm usually around and try to join FEFs, so I'll probably try to join your one.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: January 12, 2017, 09:06:34 am »

I'll probably at least check the OOC thread and contemplate putting a character sheet together.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 300