Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Duke Knight's Momentum is up for revision? Which version of the skill would you prefer?

Current one, unchanged.
+4 AS and +5 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+2 AS and +3 DMG on Player Phase, with additional +2 AS and +2 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+1 AS and +1.5 DMG for each space moved up to 4 spaces.
Current one but AS bonus is converted to DR from the end of the Player Phase until the next one.
I don't know but I want to see the results.

Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 300

Author Topic: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! 10 Years of FEF!  (Read 280447 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! Looking For Beginner Players!
« Reply #3960 on: March 29, 2018, 10:20:17 am »

My mistake, I thought you meant the three mount types as a collective. It’s still not a lot.

Well, the Baron is a magic class, which is pretty different from being a Knight almost by default.
Black lives matter.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3961 on: March 29, 2018, 10:23:01 am »

Knights don't have tomes, for one. They'd be a magical class with a defensive bias, which currently doesn't really exist unless you force it.

I lump wyverns and pegasi together under fliers, personally, so we have two FC/4 promo.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: March 29, 2018, 10:23:55 am »

It's a mixed class but also that doesn't change the fact that it's job is to be a tank as a first class, the only difference being at that point that it is better thanknight because range. Honestly if you're going to do that, just let knights chose from any type of weapon magic included and have them promote to general or baron.

And yeah my point was basically Wyvern and Pegasus are the same as armored. They're a skill on one class tree that gives a bonus and a negative.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: March 29, 2018, 10:24:31 am »

Tree? Assuming you mean trainee tree, it'd probably come from mage trainee as a magically focused class, unless another set of trainees is being introduced (which is worth discussing, really, since mage trainee may need to be split up into anima and dark cats, alongside an additional potential split for priest trainee.)

Promotes and such would need to be determined, but there's a lot of space in what we could do with them. Ssme for class skill; Runic Armor could be used, though it'd be best to come up with something slightly more reliable imo.

(Off the top of my head, it could promote to the current version, and the additional promote could be General (inheriting their extant tome prof and gaining axes), an armored healer class (call it Hospitalier or something,) or whatever else we cam come up with.)

I really don't want this hypothetical class promoting to general. That's the Knight's thing and it ought to stay that way, and futzing with their weapon availability further is weird. If we were to do that, would Knights be able to take magic on promo? Even if the answer is yes, I'm not on board.

And since we'll be implementing either my suggested first classes or other ones to diversify the mage classes, we probably should separate mage trainee into anima mage trainee, light mage trainee, and dark mage trainee or something similar. That is a good point.

Runic Armor in the current form would need to be a promoted class skill, as building up to +6 Damage is strong as hell at first class. If you made the current version of Baron into a promotion for mini-baron, that could be an option, but I'm not really sold.

Hospitalier is an alright idea that I miiiiiight steal for Lightworker's second promotion if we don't otherwise use it. Though I'm not sure what class skill it would have.

My mistake, I thought you meant the three mount types as a collective. It’s still not a lot.

Well, the Baron is a magic class, which is pretty different from being a Knight almost by default.

Giving them a different weapon isn't enough to differentiate them. Sword Knights, Lance Knights, and Axe Knights are all still knights. Magic Knights wouldn't be significantly different.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3964 on: March 29, 2018, 10:25:51 am »

The job of 90% of first classes is to be a damage dealer, why don't we just drop down to Damager, Horseman, and Flier?

Exaggeration, obviously, but you can have two classes with passingly similar roles.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: March 29, 2018, 10:26:05 am »

...No they’re not, because Armored is only damage reduction, while Pegasus and Wyvern give you extra mobility, increased rescuing ability, and the ability to ignore terrain. They’re in completely different classes.
Black lives matter.

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: March 29, 2018, 10:28:07 am »

...No they’re not, because Armored is only damage reduction, while Pegasus and Wyvern give you extra mobility, increased rescuing ability, and the ability to ignore terrain. They’re in completely different classes.

Yes and Pegasus and Wyvern gives a much wider range of things you're weak to. Larger rewards in exchange for higher risk.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: March 29, 2018, 10:29:29 am »

With that logic Swords, Axes and Lances are the same, since you have a disadvantage and an advantage against another weapon type.
Black lives matter.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: March 29, 2018, 10:30:13 am »

That just means the bonuses they give are different. And because those bonuses are more powerful, there are more anti-class weapons that apply to them. You haven't really invalidated sword's point there.

The job of 90% of first classes is to be a damage dealer, why don't we just drop down to Damager, Horseman, and Flier?

Exaggeration, obviously, but you can have two classes with passingly similar roles.

You can but that doesn't mean you should. We've spent a lot of time and energy diversifying other classes (Bandit/Pirate as the obvious example), why would we double back on that?

If you want an armored mage class, they should ideally be filling a niche that isn't already filled.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3969 on: March 29, 2018, 10:42:30 am »

Note that I said passingly similar. They're presumably giving up Hold the Line and some amount of general durability in order to effectively use tomes, and whatever else we pick as a skill.

EDIT: Basically what I'm saying is that it's not unlike having three axe classes that are all generally hitting the same "bulky offense" niche.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 10:48:43 am by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: March 29, 2018, 10:49:10 am »

Well, we've never given magic locked classes a stat penalty relative to physical classes before, so I don't see why they'd necessarily be less durable than a physical class. Other than that, the different skill is going to be the main thing if we do this.

I do want to know which school of magic they would have though, so I can figure out which class from my list I should cut. I'd prefer not Dark because the new ones I've got for that are pretty clearly defined already.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3971 on: March 29, 2018, 10:51:58 am »

I wasn't suggesting a stat penalty, to clarify; just noting that they're a mixed class and thus suffer from a lack of ability to specialize compared to Knights. Presumably they would lose a few points off of other stats to gain the same in MAG.
GM of Trespassers V2.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: March 29, 2018, 10:58:02 am »

I think that 'Tanky Magic User' is a niche that could be filled. The stats of most magic classes are not oriented towards Defence like Knights or Soldiers are, so they are going to be squishy unless players focus on covering that weakness. Making a magic-oriented class with good natural defences and a tanking skill sounds like a good idea to me.

Then again I feel like FEF could use more tanky classes in general so I might be a little biased here.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: March 29, 2018, 10:59:01 am »

It would probably make more sense for them to be, hypothetically, Anima/Lances or somesuch.
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 300