Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]

Author Topic: The Videogames Industry Sucks: Rant About the Decline of the Videogame Industry  (Read 24136 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is honestly the first time I ever heard anyone say that Half-life's story was particularly good.

I always thought it was basically an excuse plot meant to be understood but not contemplated.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Urist McScoopbeard: You might be interested in trying out some of the RTSs from the Spring engine. http://springrts.com/wiki/Games

I played Zero-k for a while and there are other decent ones besides that. They tend to be very different from the C&C and Starcraft style of RTS, with more of a focus on tactics than unit-by-unit micromanagement (it has features that optionally automate some repetitive commands).

As for Half Life, the second one has a decent storyline. The first one is older and I've only played part of Black Mesa, so I'm not sure about that one.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

This is honestly the first time I ever heard anyone say that Half-life's story was particularly good.

I always thought it was basically an excuse plot meant to be understood but not contemplated.
No, it was pretty great at the time. It was one of the more successful attempts at taking the basic FPS gameplay and putting in an overarching story which was more than a simple excuse plot. It was built around the story itself more than the FPS gameplay. Of course, 'at the time' means a decade ago; a lot of aspects don't hold up quite as well today. If HL3 was simply as good as HL2, it would be considered a major flop by today's standards.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]