Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 139794 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: BoundWorlds Update: An Objective for New Worlds - The Quest for Six Orbs
« Reply #1260 on: October 29, 2018, 11:52:22 pm »

Yes, this can happen in large rooms.  Try giving them an active range.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: October 30, 2018, 12:07:07 am »

Oh. Oops. I forgot that I had not already done that. That was foolish of me. Apologies.

Edit: It has been a real busy week, but I finally got some time to add active ranges. Unfortunately, the room is still lagging for me. Are you getting the same? I might have to change some things around to reduce size. Maybe break it in to two parts (uggh). But if that's all I can do, that's what I'll end up doing.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 12:40:44 am by Kamani »
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: November 03, 2018, 02:15:26 pm »

It's weirdly inconsistent; I'm getting slowdown sometimes but not always, with no clear pattern.  I'll see if I can figure something out.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: November 03, 2018, 02:17:00 pm »

Huh, okay. Thanks for taking a look. I don't think anything in the room should be doing anything beyond some basic checks and a few create affects, so I don't know what would be doing that.

Edit: Got the statue art determining thing working, I think. I haven't tested them with dying yet, but they should work. I easily could have overlooked something, but it seems to work right.

Edit: Uh, the tutorial button is giving me a 404 error. What happened to it?

Edit: Welp, just spent ten minutes trying to figure out why the rush room wouldn't work, and then realized I had just forgotten to put _room._sprites in the each. I need to stop missing the obvious so much.

Edit: Okay, this time I am really stuck. On the DroomRush's object labeled Rush, I set it up so that the loops will break once conditions are met. The first loop works just fine, but the second loop didn't seem to work, and when I moved the loop break outside of any conditions so that it should be always triggered, it still didn't work. Did I mess up somewhere, or is there something up with loop breaks?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 01:44:26 am by Kamani »
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: November 04, 2018, 04:31:35 am »

I didn't get a chance to go over the whole thing, but at least part of the problem is that the thrown rocks have no set lifespan, so they just keep on going.  Projectiles are automatically set to the team of the sprite that spawned them, so the room never has no enemies left.  (Remember you can navigate all objects using the item info button; you can navigate from a sprite to its room to view all current sprites, and so on.)

There might be other issues, when I fixed this it ran into an infinite loop, I'll check this out later (if you don't fix it).

EDIT: There does appear to be an issue with break statements placed after existing loops.  Going to fix that up ASAP.

EDIT2: Ok, the break bug is fixed.  It should work now, apart from the aforementioned issue of projectile lifespans.  (Also, status effects have the same team as their creator.  You can check if a sprite is a targetable unit by checking if _unit = 1, although I'd strongly advise giving projectiles lifespans anyway.)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: November 04, 2018, 01:40:19 pm »

Oh. Whoops. I must have forgotten to add those. Thanks for both that and for the break fix.

Edit: DroomRush is done, unless I decide that I don't like it and it needs to be restarted. This dungeon is starting to come together. Now I need to start planning out which enemies go where, finish connections, make the room that connects Droom2 to the boss, and do some cutscenes, and all that will be left is the town (which is also a big project).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 11:33:39 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: November 07, 2018, 01:28:02 pm »

Looks good so far.  Perhaps a little difficult though.  Are you planning on including items?

I've been making a sprite generator Paint.net file for making it easier to create new NPCs (basically a file with the different parts stored in different layers, by setting the layer visibility you can combine the parts to make new spritesheets).  Nothing "official" but it should be helpful for building the town.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: November 07, 2018, 03:35:19 pm »

Oh, right, difficulty. I should probs add heal drops again. And items too, since this was actually supposed to be easier... Difficulty balancing is not my strong point, I think.

Oh, cool! That should really come in handy, since most people in this town will be humans. Not everyone, of course, but a solid majority.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: November 07, 2018, 03:44:56 pm »

Okay. Thanks.

Edit: Alright, mob heal drops are now in. I used the same rather sloppy system as before, with the dubious method of just calling out to something that is only in one version of the package, but it means that I only have to do edits once, so it'll do.

Edit: Alright, sometimes Droom2 lags a ton in the editor too. Did you ever figure out what was wrong with that? It is still a pretty serious issue, and, although I could work around by splitting the room, I'd prefer not to, since it would require completely redoing a large part of a room, which would be a pain, and would mess up it after I went to the trouble of getting it to look nice this way. But that's life sometimes, so if I have to, that's okay.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 11:41:25 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: November 08, 2018, 05:00:00 am »

It is weird, and the fact that it isn't consistent makes it weirder, and suggests that it is probably a bug in the program rather than a problem with the room itself.

You can try disabling the AI of objects that don't need AI, although this doesn't change as much as you'd expect since being blind and immobile they already skip most AI steps.

I'm going to try and figure out what is using up memory. Might be related to that occasional stattaco freezing bug, which I still haven't figured out.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: November 08, 2018, 08:30:11 am »

Okay. Not much I can do personally about that one then.

Well, I should probably do that anyway, thinking about it, so it’s a good idea either way. Thanks.

Okay. Good luck. Hopefully it’s an easyish solve this time around.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: November 08, 2018, 05:48:00 pm »

Well, I fixed something.  A source of odd memory leaks that has been around for a fair amount of time.  I'm not sure if it is actually the cause of the slowdown, but after a number of tests there didn't seem to be any more issues, so it might be fixed.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: November 08, 2018, 11:40:41 pm »

Well, hopefully that fixed it. Thanks. I'll tell you if I run into the problem again, but hopefully it'll be gone now.

Edit: Is there any way to make an object appear below shadows? I want the cactus floor object to basically work as a tile, just not on the grid, and that's messing this up. I can either think of a way to deal with that, or I can just make no shadows. Either will work, I just need to know.

Edit: Huh, some stuff I could have sworn I fixed isn't fixed. Saving must have not worked or something. Annoying. Well, hopefully I didn't miss anything. I think I remember everything I did, but I don't have a very good memory...
And it seems like the stuff that isn't there wasn't the stuff I did earlier either. Very confusing.

Oh, and Droom2New still seems to be lagging. I have little clue why.
Would setting a tileset (that is already enabled) to be enabled every frame cause any lag? One of the updates does that.

... I think I figured out the issue with the unfixing stuff (in retrospect, it is pretty obvious. I should have noticed earlier). I just saved, and then went back in, and the things that I thought I had fixed that had become unfixed and then I fixed again were again unfixed. Everything that unfixed itself was part of the Kamani Monsters Desert package that SHOULD be loading in through the Kamani Monsters Desert Heal package. But each time I add it, it disappears. I must have forgotten to upload the changed original Kamani Monsters Desert package when I realized I forgot to add lifespans on projectiles and active ranges on enemies.

But now my question is why the healing version of the package isn't loading the standard package like it should. If I try to add it on again, then suddenly there are two copies of it added, and I can't delete either, so I think this part is probably an actual glitch. Could you take a look at this? I can't figure it out.

Bright side is, I took the map I had made for the dungeon, drew a path through it, and plotted out where to put dungeon enemies, so that should be fast when I can do it again.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 11:32:22 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: November 14, 2018, 04:36:49 am »

You can make sprites appear below other sprites using the "Draw Index" variable (under Graphics) to 0.  Basically, only sprites with the same Draw Index use the going in back of or in front of thing; sprites with different Draw Index will appear on top of or below each other.  0 appears right over the tile layer.  Negative numbers will actually appear below the tiles, if you have any reason for doing that.  EDIT: Actually it looks like that doesn't put sprites below shadows.  I'll change that, since a draw index of 0 probably should work that way.

I'm not sure exactly what the cactus floor is doing though...?  Oh, I see, for the shadow.  Hmm, maybe make the cactus set the tile below it to the appropriate tile index instead of creating a new sprite?  That might help with slowdown as well, since there will be less sprites.

Frequently enabling and disabling tilemaps can cause slowdown, since it forces the layer to recalculate all tile data, though it isn't supposed to recalculate anything if you're just setting it to what it already was (though changing it back and forth within a single frame does cause slowdown).  I'll have to check.

I'll check out the thing with the packages.

I've been getting into the habit of drawing rough maps on paper before actually building them in-game - seems to be easier to design things in pencil.  The theme of Akashmandir is dreams and visions, so it has a bunch of small dungeons (most only a single room) that represent the dream of the various characters, with puzzles that symbolically represent their psychological problems.  Right now I'm making a dungeon representing the mind of a flutist who is obsessevely focused on making the perfect song (who will be one of the four main party members).  Since dream worlds are a likely recurring element given BoundWorlds' structure (that's why "Bed" is one of the preset Gate type options), I'm working a the design for another "transcendant" creature called Toringou, who are basically bird monsters that attack people through their dreams.

EDIT: Are you seeing slowdown mainly when first starting a session, but then it seems to clear up if you return to the editor and start again, but then it tends to slow down if you enter using a different gate?  I'm trying to figure out a pattern but it's so inconsistent that it's hard to tell.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 90