Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 139544 times)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Update: An Objective for New Worlds - The Quest for Six Orbs
« Reply #1275 on: November 14, 2018, 08:41:19 am »

Okay. Thanks. I had tried setting it to 0, but it didn’t work. That change should help.

Can’t have it change the tile below it. It’s not on grid, so the shadow will end up in the wrong place. I could just disable it entirely and see if that helps the lag though.

Okay. I’m just enabling it repeatedly or disabling it repeatedly (never both for one at the same time), so that probably isn’t it then.

Thanks. This one just has me confused.

Huh, I didn’t draw out the Desert trial on paper (at least partially because I’m even worse at that then computer drawings), but I did plan it out in gimp.
Akashmandir sounds really neat. Looking forward to it.
And bird monsters are always appreciable. Especially since I hear about birds all the time anyway from someone else.

I didn’t check that yesterday (I only entered through different gates). I was getting lag in the editor mostly (which did not clear up when I entered the room through a gate and then left, or while I was in the room). Unfortunately, that doesn’t do much for figuring out a pattern or what is causing the issue. Sorry. I’ll try that out later today.
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #1276 on: November 14, 2018, 11:21:04 am »

So although I wasn't able to find the source of the inconsistency, it appears that the main memory eater is drawing a large number of tilesets, which makes sense since they cover the whole screen.  However, I also realized that drawing all the tilesets all the time isn't really necessary...since all the tilesets in a given layer basically form one single unchanging image, I can store that image and draw it instead.  I'll still have to make sure that the image does update whenever a tilemap graphics change.  It'll take a bit of work to get it all running smoothly, but it should fix up these issues once it is done.

EDIT: Since this is the main issue, having only the red or the blue tiles active at the same time makes it much smoother.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: November 14, 2018, 12:05:42 pm »

Makes sense. Although how would that work with gradual flashes on one layer? Would those still be more laggy, since it would be re-storing every frame?

What do you mean by this? I don’t think they ever are both active at once. Is this something I need to change? Apologies, but I am unable to figure out the meaning of the statement.
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: November 14, 2018, 12:52:33 pm »

You haven't added the tile controller to the room yet.  It should work fine when you do.

Gradual flashes on specific tilesets will still be laggy if there are a lot of tilesets in a layer, but making the whole layer flash should be fine.  Maybe I'll make a way to target all tilesets with a flash, so that you can make all tiles flash but not sprites.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: November 14, 2018, 04:04:22 pm »

Oh. Welp, that was silly of me. Apologies.

Okay. Makes sense.

On the technical info: Oh, okay. I think I understand it better now. Thank you for the explanation.

Edit: By the way, should you have a link to the patreon site on the main page? I noticed the link to it on the character creator, but I hadn't know about it until then. To be fair, I know roughly nothing about patreon or dwarf fortress forums logic, but it would make it easier to find.

Edit: Okay, I think I've figured out part of the package issue. It seems that, when I click on the delete button for a package that is being loaded into another package, it usually won't delete. Instead, it just goes straight to the menu for the package that I am clicking on without giving me the delete message.
If I hit the delete message in the main package while the tab for the loaded in package is still up, I'll get the delete message, but nothing will happen.
So I can delete any loaded in packages at all. This was the reason I was unable to delete anything.
The rest of the issue still has me mystified though.
Hopefully, that makes it a bit easier to solve this glitch. I'll tell you if I encounter anything else that might assist.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 03:35:34 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: November 17, 2018, 04:08:46 pm »

There was a server-side logic issue with loading packages that were stored inside non-uploaded packages.  So that's been fixed, I've also fixed up the issue with deleting packages by making them open with a double click instead of a single click.

As for the Patreon, I guess I'll put it here as well.  Maybe I should try doing another ad now that it exists... I haven't been paying much attention to advertising lately, since turnout hasn't been great and I've been focusing on building my world(s).  Well, we'll see how it goes.  I see you've signed on, thanks  :D

Hmm...What's a good symbol that can represent four worlds, joined at the center, and partially connected to each other?

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: November 17, 2018, 06:23:28 pm »

Okay. Thank you for both fixes. Now I should be able to get that working.

Well, having more worlds would probably help with advertising, so I suppose both things can help each other.
And yeah, BoundWorlds is great, I’ve put lots of time into it, and you’ve helped me many times with problems that are my fault like 50-75% of the time, so it feels right to give back, and you’ve definitely earned my support. Plus, BoundWorlds is really cool, and I’d love to see it do well.
In other words, since I suspect I may be babbling slightly, you earned my support, and you’ve made BoundWorlds deserve my support.

I’m not super great at symbols, so I don’t really know. Makes me think of a quadruple version of a ven diagram, but that’s just four overlapping circles, not anything really special. Hopefully, something better comes to you.

Edit: Welp. Went and added two more tile types to the color tiles. On the bright side, I think the number of potential situations in which I could need them is running low, so these might be the last I add.
Do you think anyone but me would find these at all useful? They save a lot of time if you need to do something weirdly niche like this, but are otherwise useless.
Edit: And another one, plus redid the previous two added because their color was slightly off (probably not really all that noticeable, but if you looked really closely...). But I really do think this was it this time. There can't possibly be anything else I need.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 02:24:22 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Update: A Puzzling Dream
« Reply #1282 on: November 18, 2018, 04:23:26 pm »

Eh, not really a big deal one way or the other.  The only thing I'm strict about concerning making media public is that if you got it from another site, it should be public (to minimize duplicates of the same assets).

The desert dungeon seems pretty good; looks like it only lacks the usual polish like enemy death timers and the like.

I've published a new area - it's a small dream "dungeon".  No enemies, only puzzles revolving around a single mechanic.  The context is that there is a young flutist who has been obsessively trying to write a song, and then fell sick with a mysterious illness, so you have to travel into his dream to help him recover.  I'd like to know if the puzzle's solution is too hard to figure out - it's intended to be symbolic but I'm not sure how obvious the symbolism is.  It's called "Taran's Dream".

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: November 19, 2018, 01:20:41 am »

I know about making found content public. I’d just make it public if I thought it would help people, but, considering it, it’s probably too niche.

Right, death timers. Have to add those. Right now, I’m heading into the last few weeks of the semester, so I might be a bit more absent, but after that, I should definitely be able to finish it, if I can’t earlier.

Oh, I’ll have to test that tomorrow. Sounds cool.
Plus, I love music and music composition, so it’s extra interesting.

Edit: Okay. Just ran through it. It was good, although the needing to loop around the entire thing to get the puzzle right before the final bit was kind of confusing. Beyond that, it made sense.

Edit: Oh, but I was getting a little of the big room occasional lag in it too. That was less than great, but when I rebooted by dying, it worked better.

Edit: Death timers added, grey tiles fixed (I accidentally set their enabled to 1 instead of 0 in the create bit...). I need to add sound effects and music, and I need to figure out how to handle the Droom2 lag (I'm not sure I can publish it as long as that is around). Beyond that, I now have everything in the dungeon ready to test (beyond variance on the pre-final boss droom). Still not sure how to handle the lag, but I'm hoping I can get a testing round where I get no lag so I can at least make sure everything else works, since I've probably messed up at least something.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 12:00:49 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: November 21, 2018, 09:27:08 am »

I've fixed up one of the issues that was causing seemingly random slowdown (one of the timers was not resetting properly when starting a room, causing all objects in the room to continually recheck their neighboring tiles each frame instead of only when moving to a new tile).

I haven't yet fixed the issue with using too many visible tilesets at once, but this will be better once you add and activate the RedBlueControl.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: November 21, 2018, 09:28:40 am »

Okay. Thanks.

I forgot to add that again? Whoops. Sorry.

Edit: Okay, having a spot of difficulty. For some reason, after the Sculptor fight, pretty often, instead of the dialogue beginning, the entire game just locks up (I think the locking up is because it activates the cutscene effect and then doesn't move past it, but I am not sure). What should happen is the player walking to a designated point, Sculptor giving some dialogue, etc., but instead, nothing. I even have the walk set to continue on failure. It is pretty likely that I just messed something up and I'm just totally missing it, but could you take a look and tell me if you see anything wrong?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 01:01:58 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: November 26, 2018, 01:23:24 pm »

Hmm...

Ok, it looks like the issue relates to how cutscenes work.  During a cutscene, if the cutscene level is "disable all physics" or higher, all sprites apart from the cutscene master (or any specified exceptions) will not update at all.  There is supposed to be a rule that automatically makes an exception for sprites that have specific commands given by the "cutscene master" (the sprite that initiated the cutscene) but it looks like initializing the "walk" command while the player is in the middle of a dash attack is messing this up since walk commands are normally cancelled if the target sprite is in the middle of dashing.  I'll have to fix this, but if you set the general cutscene level to something lower (like "disable all AI") it should simplify things.  The player's input is always disabled during a cutscene, so don't worry about that.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: November 26, 2018, 02:07:35 pm »

Ah, okay. Thank you. I’ll change the cutscene settings. I think I just used the default cutscene, so that explains it.
Now I can take another testing run through and see if I can get this done.

Edit: The music in the tier one Trials is going to have be more light and energetic music, I think. The seconds will have more like Lusuria, indicating that things might not be exactly as they seem, the thirds... well, all of the thirds will be way different, and finding stuff for the thirds will be hard. Bright side is that I'm looking into music composition, so by the time I get to them, I might be able to deal with it on my own.

Will there be credit roll customization? I'd like to make sure that Eric Matyas is attributed correctly based on the specific requirements on the website's homepage.
Edit: Although I might be able to do some really nice custom credits if I made scrolling objects... then I could put the art on them and stuff. That might be worth it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 12:06:24 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: November 29, 2018, 12:24:18 am »

Hmm... I suppose the most reasonable thing to do would be to make the "additional info" field visible in the credits, maybe making it expandable when clicked so that it's not intrusive on the rest of the credits.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: November 29, 2018, 12:28:07 am »

I think that would work. Although I don’t really remember what I was specifically worried about, since, looking at it again, it seems fine. You can probably just disregard that, since I am completely unsure of why I was worried.

Edit: Hmm... None of the Matyas music I've been looking at seems quite right for the desert dungeon. I'll have to start searching OpenGameArt.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 11:04:36 pm by Kamani »
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 90