Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 139792 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Re: BoundWorlds: A user-generated browser-based multiverse
« Reply #180 on: June 22, 2015, 03:58:14 pm »

Hey, i couldn't make an account a while back, is that fixed?
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #181 on: June 23, 2015, 12:46:47 am »

Hey, i couldn't make an account a while back, is that fixed?

It seems to be working fine.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #182 on: August 11, 2016, 12:49:35 pm »

Necropost.
This looked fun.. its no longer alive.. )=

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 11, 2016, 01:15:46 pm »

Yeah, I switched websites but didn't migrate everything because nobody really cared anyway.  I have a partly made HTML5 remake, but nothing worth making public at this point.

Right now I'm dealing mainly with a non-game project (although one that is inspired by DF, interestingly enough), so I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to start this up again.  See my avatar quote though.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 11, 2016, 07:09:17 pm »

Joining the Necroposting. Looked like fun, if you had more options in your catalog-thingy, and found a way to build a larger playerbase, that could get interesting.
What you probably need is a questing system - more NPC behaviors, advanced ones, some basic form of interesting combat (See Realm of the Mad God for an idea of this), and artifacts. Stuff like armor, weaponry, random bits of treasure items (not coins, valuable items - goblets, gems, Persian rugs, paintings, tapestries, whatever else you can think of - lucky horseshoes anyone?), monsters, princesses-/princes-worth-nothing-and-got-themselves-captured, and anything else that can be quested over (and has physical form; although random "energies" could also be involved in this, trapped in a scroll or whatnot).
Other than that, very cool idea. I'd play it.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #185 on: August 13, 2016, 10:31:14 am »

Joining the Necroposting. Looked like fun, if you had more options in your catalog-thingy, and found a way to build a larger playerbase, that could get interesting.
What you probably need is a questing system - more NPC behaviors, advanced ones, some basic form of interesting combat (See Realm of the Mad God for an idea of this), and artifacts. Stuff like armor, weaponry, random bits of treasure items (not coins, valuable items - goblets, gems, Persian rugs, paintings, tapestries, whatever else you can think of - lucky horseshoes anyone?), monsters, princesses-/princes-worth-nothing-and-got-themselves-captured, and anything else that can be quested over (and has physical form; although random "energies" could also be involved in this, trapped in a scroll or whatnot).
Other than that, very cool idea. I'd play it.
I agree, yes, we want to play ^_^

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 20, 2016, 12:31:19 pm »

I'd love to see this reincarnated - although I think it needs more 'game systems' to it.

I've recently been playing a lot of starbound, and I quite like the game loop of building and crafting to be able to be kitted out for further adventures, and those adventures giving you access to more stuff to build and craft. I'm not saying that it should be like starbound at all, just that I think a reincarnation with a solid 'game loop' is a must to get people interested.

I'm honestly not sure what, but every needs some sort of threat to strive against. That doesn't have to be a violent threat - In some games the threat is a lack of progress - but it needs *something* to push the player to do stuff.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 16, 2016, 07:26:42 am »

So hey, I know I've been busy for a while, but I have started working on a rebuild in HTML5.
It's nothing much to look at yet (basically just testing physics and graphics), but I have added an open public alpha online for those who want to experiment and make suggestions.

http://indigofenix.com/boundworlds/

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds (Dead, but being rebuilt)
« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2017, 02:59:06 pm »

Neat to see this coming back. I saw this before, but it was dead then. Looking forward to trying it out later.
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds (Dead, but being rebuilt)
« Reply #189 on: January 16, 2017, 03:05:32 pm »

Neat to see this coming back. I saw this before, but it was dead then. Looking forward to trying it out later.

Thanks!  Been working hard on it.  I'm trying to resist the urge to hype it up too much before it's actually playable, but it's a lot better structured than the original (which was my FIRST major programming project), which will make it easier to add more functions once the framework is set up.

I'm aiming to have the initial release open by the end of this week.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Reborn (Open Alpha)
« Reply #190 on: January 20, 2017, 09:29:47 am »

Okay, it's still unpolished, but the basic framework is running for those who want to get an early start.

Things you can do currently:
Create worlds
Add rooms, layers, tilesets, sprites, and gates (entrances only)
Import graphics for tilesets and sprites (no default graphics yet aside from a white square)
Set tile properties.  Only basic, solid, sticky, and slick tiles work currently.  Open space tiles restrict motion to a grid due to incomplete implementation; they will later block motion normally but you will be able to jump over 1-tile pits.  (Note that blank tiles are automatically considered open space unless you set them otherwise.)
Create functions for sprite classes
Display text boxes both through the basic sprite editor and in functions.  Text inside {curly braces} will be interpreted as code, so you can put variable references and math expressions in them.
Test your rooms
Set gates as public, and visit any world that has a public gate

There is also program logic for sprite functions, including if, else, loops, and creation of variables.  You can target objects with functions using periods, for example a sprite can set globally accessible variables by targeting the room, which is stored in _room.  (Example: one sprite sets _room.a to 5, then another sprite can use _room.a to mean 5, since they both have the same room.  There are a lot of other things you can do with this but I'll need to make a proper guide.)
Note: All built-in variables will start with an _underscore, so don't create variables that start with an underscore or they might be overwritten later.

Some new concepts that I'm considering on top of those from the old BoundWorlds:

Gate properties and tags - You can set exits to either go to specific gates as before, or to a random one.  If you choose random, the game will try to find a public gate that matches requested tags.  For example, you can put an ice cave entrance in your world and give it a request to search for public #ice_cave gates.  Players entering the cave will then be transported to a random gate with the #ice_cave tag.

Multi-world quests - You can create quest items and set an exit to link to a world that will contain that item; or add "blank" items in your world that will be "filled in" by existing quests.  Example: You create a quest in your world to find the Ocarina of Plot, which is in the Dungeon of Spiders.  Another player creates an area with #dungeon #spiders tags, and places a "blank" item in the center.  When a player goes from your world through the gate that links to the spider dungeon, the Ocarina will be found in it.  The game might also have some way of generating entire metroidvania-type adventures using multiple linked worlds.  Obviously this is a rather complex process; there will have to be some method of determining whether or not a quest is beatable before generating it, but I'm exploring different possibilities.

A plot (I actually know the plot already, but I need to figure out the best way of expressing it, given the open-ended nature of the game).

World building options becoming unlockable.  They won't be hard to unlock; basically this will be a method to teach world builders gradually instead of dumping a ton of confusing options on them at once.  Simpler tools will be unlocked first so the player learns the nature of the world building process, eventually leading up to the full scripting system.  Right now though, everything is available as I make it.

A procedurally generated "void zone" that links worlds together.  Will probably tie into the plot in some way.

There will be a default combat system; I'm debating mainly whether to make turn-based encounters or Zelda-esque action sequences.  This will tie into the default physics, which are still not quite set in stone.  (Right now it's grid-based with diagonal motion; I'm experimenting with different options that will both feel natural and also be puzzle-friendly.)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Reborn (Open alpha)
« Reply #191 on: January 22, 2017, 08:26:38 am »

I really, really think you should get the plot in before doing any of the rest. It'll help you solidify what else needs doing, and it'll inform what the best choice is for things like a combat system.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 23, 2017, 05:35:36 am »

Oh, I already know the plot.  The question is how to track advancement thorough the plot in a game that by its very nature allows players to stray as far away from the world in which that plot takes place as they want.

I could place restrictions on the player until they advance the plot in some way (for example, force them to collect an item to unlock parts of the world builder) but I don't really want to do that.

Simple play time or collection of ontons can be used as restrictions, but if a player simply avoids the "main" plot until they have enough they can simply rush through the plot as fast as they want.  This is doubly the case if there's any kind of leveling system.

It's kind of an issue in any wide open sandbox game, but at least in most sandbox games the game's designers have control over the world as a whole and can place barriers to drive the player back to the plot.  Boundworlds doesn't really allow that.

Without artificial restrictions such as these, and allowing players to have full access to all worldbuilding tools, the only advantage my world has over anyone else's is that it's the first.  This might shape the aesthetic to an extent but I'd like the game's mythology to grow organically around player creations rather than have a specific canon plot written by me.

Anyway, my main objective now is to straighten out the physics.  I've made a new system that combines the advantages of both grid-based motion and free motion; basically there's a grid but motion along the x and y axes are calculated independently.  It feels more responsive and natural, while at the same time lets worldbuilders construct areas around a distinct grid without having to worry about things like players standing on multiple tiles at once or avoiding supposedly unavoidable tiles.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 23, 2017, 09:52:38 am »

-snip-
This is what I mean about nailing down the plot though. You can easily restrict the plot via combat if you want to, or you can do resource limits (I would STRONGLY advise against playtime though. The player either gets frustrated about having to wait around, or just leaves the game on in the background whilst they do something else).

As much as I like the general idea, I have to be brutally honest that I don't think anyone will just come and start building big, enjoyable worlds just for the sake of it. They can do that in minecraft/whatever in full 3D. The draw has to come from something else, like the story or exciting mechanics.

If you've got a strong initial story and plot, people will come for that and stay to carry on their own branches of that. If you don't have that in place from the start, you're basically saying 'here is a basic toolset - make my game for me'.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 23, 2017, 10:46:59 am »

Oh, I'll certainly make a couple of worlds myself, I wouldn't expect people to have any interest in playing without seeing what the game is capable of.  I was talking more about some kind of meta, all-encompassing story that explains why you're building worlds.  Games that focus on level design generally don't have an elaborate meta-plot in that sense.  I think it would be fun to make one but I don't think it's strictly  necessary to explain, for instance, that poorly rated worlds are corrupted and eaten by a Zalgo expy to stave off its hunger as opposed to simply being deleted to free up the database.  It might even be seen as kind of pretentious.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 90