Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 141199 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: BoundWorlds Reborn (Open alpha)
« Reply #240 on: February 09, 2017, 10:54:47 am »

Very little is actually going on server-side though: saving and loading world data, getting gate lists, and tracking players as they move from one world to another is pretty much all it does; there might be some more complex logic later for quest generation and the like but all the actual action is handled by the client.  For this, PHP is sufficient.  If true multiplayer is ever implemented then I'll probably use Node for that.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 10, 2017, 10:22:21 am »

Some experimental new functions are up.  Sprites can move, jump, destroy, and create new sprites.

Most event variables can be use expressions instead of plain numbers by clicking the {} button.  Expressions have access to all of a sprite's variables, as well as most basic math and logic operators.  _x and _y are probably the most relevant default variables for the moment.  I will make a guide to show all of the variables that can be accessed.

Ideally they shouldn't crash even if you write functions badly, but I haven't checked every possibility so try not to break it.  If you make an infinite loop you can stop it after a few seconds by pressing escape.

Daren Kazzarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 12, 2017, 08:41:49 am »

Hello there. First of, i am realy happy to see this project back alive again after not visiting the forum for a while. I realy like the direction it is going, but... .
I am guesing it is connected to me using firefox from one of your earlier posts, but i basicly can not play at all.
First thing i did i signed up which went without trouble but then it breaks down. When i try to enter your spider room the backround around the game window gous black and thats it. The game window itself stays compeatly unchanged and i can travel to my own world. Once i somehow  ??? entered your world it looked normal but pressing escape would pause the game (invisible menu?) and i had no way to leave other than reloading the page. Also for some reason "w" would move me up but a s d did nothing.
Then i tried the world builder, at the beginning also without problems becouse i am mostly familiar with the menus from the previous version. Uploading the tileset worked fine but then the trouble came back. As far as i can tell i basicly can not select a tile other then the blank, they are without higlight (if that is in yet?) and do not rememer thier settings. Feels more like every time i click in the tilemap i deselect everything. Next i made a gate (ceruenty public) which works? but can not be moved from the top left corner. Objects and everything else i have not tried yet.
Please do tell my if missunderstood something. I think it would be usefull to have some basic controls shown, like movment, menu, action.
For now i am going to try a few other things and report my findings.
I am looking forward to building my own world again.

Edit:
ok, so i can enter the spider cavern by linking my gate to yours. (Is also the only way which works while not logged in.) Thoght i noticed that the game pauses and resets all enemies every time you pass through a gate, even if it leads in the very same room. Is that intended? Next i noticed that it still offered the world builder option (while logged in) and allowed my to make edits to your world. I did not dare to try and save them with how broken the tillemaps are for me (even in your world). It seems that while logged in i am permanently in test mode when entering a world.
The world builder itself does not dicard changes properly and restores them every time i enter the world no mater be it throu the world builder or the public gate (aka testmode) and then asks wheter i want them saved when i try to leave, again be it world builder or gate. That persisting until i reload the page.

Edit:
As far as i can tell i can not place objects either so that will be it for a while i geuss.

Edit:
Because i apperantly have nothing better to do have this: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/432hhxbds8olfzj/AAAbNXsFYdTeGC7Xfj2DB9Zba?dl=0 It is a link to a dropbox folder where i will uplaod my stuff for Boundworlds. As the project is active again i will work on these further. So feel free to make some requests if you like the style of what i curetly have and i might use it as inspiration. The blocks.png was the dafault tilleset providet in the original, just in case someone wants it. I will preface every thing i make myself with Kazz, feel free to use these however you see fitt. As the project is active again i will work on these further. So feel free to make some requests if you like the style of what i curetly have and i might use it as inspiration.
The one thing to note is, that as far as i know, you can't use the link to the file directly in dropbox. You have to upload the image to an imagehosting site first.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 10:37:47 am by Daren Kazzarch »
Feel free to tell me if i mess up your language.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 12, 2017, 10:30:18 am »

Don't use Firefox, there's a lot of things that don't work in it for some reason (like placing objects and moving gates if I recall correctly, seems it doesn't register clicks to the main screen).  I'm going to try fix that particular issue because it's pretty significant but until I can do a proper bugcheck I'd advise just sticking with Chrome.

Control is with the arrow keys, W working seems to be a leftover from an earlier edit.  I might put it back later though, depends on how important the mouse will be for gameplay.

Gates reloading the room is intended; moving to different spots within a room is done using jump events.  This will be more clear once travelling by gate has a proper fade effect.

I'll have to do some better checking on leaving edit mode (what is supposed to happen is that if you are in test mode and step on a gate leading to another world, the game gives you a choice to either continue travelling normally either saving or discarding changes, or return to the editor.)  But even if you do edit someone else's world due to a bug or hacking, there's a server side checker to make sure only a world's creator can save it.

Daren Kazzarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 12, 2017, 10:44:00 am »

Oh, thanks. But i am somewhat itchy towards anything google so i will have to thik about that. It is good to know i was in no danger of ruining everything. :D

Edit: Eff it, i will just use chrom as single purpose software.

What came to mind while plaing with the editor:

Someway or other, while editing, i get in a state where almost all buttons become unresposive and i have to reload the page and loose all unsaved progres to get out of it.
Ok, figured that one out. Appearantly when i want to "set gate" and then "clear" something gets messed up and when you reselect the gate all the options after the text "Go to specific location" disapear. You can continue editing but the world can't be saved anymore and once you leave the room dialog (so that you can see your world ID) everything is locked up and you can only reload. But as long as you are in that room dialog you can deleate the broken gate and then all works fine again.

Draging the rooms aroun by left mous heavily interfers with fast tille placement. I would suggest moving the drag function to middle mouse couse i am used to it from other editors.

I like the way you can make tillemaps invisible or opaque to see in which layer warios stuff is.

There was once talk about rotatings and flipping tilles as to remove redundancy from tillesets. Will that be a thing?

The water is more of a shallow pit unles we get (have?) a way to submerge the feet.

Mouseover text for various buttons chekmarks and options would be mighty helpfull. All these options for tilles have me confused. Is there one which acts as a pit in the original? I know it is in this thread somewhere, but lazy people won't want to look it up.

I probably gonna have to turn some tiles into objects because with the free movement thier 32x32 hitboxes just do not make sense.

Just noticed that there is a small offset between tillemaps in the same layer. Is that also intentional?

A biger "X" close button or key function which moves us one level up in the menu hirearchy to allow for faster layer switching?

Open the function editor out of the way or make it movable so i can check for coordinates on screan.

Ok, so this time i made na object and added an event to it, but when i try to test it the editor menu disapears, the screen stays focused where it was and the player does not apear. I tryed deleting the object and reseting the gate but nothig helps and to top it of i can't acces the world from the main screeen the same way i can't acces the spider cave.

All in all i am probably gonna mostly stick to making tille maps and static worlds for now.

fast edit: WTHeck. How do my posts keep getting this long? This is ridiculous.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 01:08:36 pm by Daren Kazzarch »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 12, 2017, 02:54:48 pm »

I fixed the problem with Firefox being unable to click.  I can't promise there won't be other bugs though.

Someway or other, while editing, i get in a state where almost all buttons become unresposive and i have to reload the page and loose all unsaved progres to get out of it.
Ok, figured that one out. Appearantly when i want to "set gate" and then "clear" something gets messed up and when you reselect the gate all the options after the text "Go to specific location" disapear. You can continue editing but the world can't be saved anymore and once you leave the room dialog (so that you can see your world ID) everything is locked up and you can only reload. But as long as you are in that room dialog you can deleate the broken gate and then all works fine again.
Fixed this.

Draging the rooms aroun by left mous heavily interfers with fast tille placement. I would suggest moving the drag function to middle mouse couse i am used to it from other editors.
There have been some comments about this.  I will make some method of placing tiles quickly.

There was once talk about rotatings and flipping tilles as to remove redundancy from tillesets. Will that be a thing?
There will be various ways of manipulating images both in the editor and in the game.  This will probably come around the time I make free-rotating sprites.

The water is more of a shallow pit unles we get (have?) a way to submerge the feet.

Mouseover text for various buttons chekmarks and options would be mighty helpfull. All these options for tilles have me confused. Is there one which acts as a pit in the original? I know it is in this thread somewhere, but lazy people won't want to look it up.
Not all tile physics are done yet.  I will leave here what is planned for them, but not all of them really work.

Open Space: Like the pits in the original, but only work for gridlocked sprites (i.e. not the player) right now.  At least partially because I haven't quite decided what should happen if you fall in.
Solid: Solid blocks, impassible by any sprite that does not have "ghost" active.  Working.
Drop (called "slide" right now): Marks "sidescroller" areas.  You can also use it to make south-facing cliffs that you jump off of.  Physics kind of work, but not perfect.
Climb: Ladders.  Working.
Slick: Ice.  Not sure about exact physics here.  Not working yet.
Sticky: Disables jumping.  Not working yet.
Water: Partially submerges you.  May or may not allow free vertical motion in sidescroller mode.  Not really working yet, just lowers the graphic a bit.
Grass: Partially hides you without submerging you.  Might have some impact on a stealth system.  Not working yet.

I probably gonna have to turn some tiles into objects because with the free movement thier 32x32 hitboxes just do not make sense.
Yes, this is one of the disadvantages of the free movement system.  I might make something to force players into grid mode.

Just noticed that there is a small offset between tillemaps in the same layer. Is that also intentional?
I don't see this.  Might it be an effect of one of the tilemaps you're using?

A biger "X" close button or key function which moves us one level up in the menu hirearchy to allow for faster layer switching?

Open the function editor out of the way or make it movable so i can check for coordinates on screan.
I'll try to come up with a more intuitive design for the menus.

Ok, so this time i made na object and added an event to it, but when i try to test it the editor menu disapears, the screen stays focused where it was and the player does not apear. I tryed deleting the object and reseting the gate but nothig helps and to top it of i can't acces the world from the main screeen the same way i can't acces the spider cave.
Sounds like the script hit an error.  I need more details to fix this.

Thank you for your feedback!
Nice world design, by the way :)

Anyway...
I added a new feature to the world builder, a window that lets you examine all of a sprite's variables by clicking on it.  Very handy for debugging and figuring out exactly what you can do with functions.  Variables that are not shown in red can be modified by functions.  You can't view objects in arrays yet, but functions can't access objects in arrays yet anyway.

Daren Kazzarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 12, 2017, 03:48:39 pm »

Thank you, deinstaling chrome right now. :D Took a while before i remembered that i should reload the cache but then it worked. I also can acces my and even your world normaly and the player apears properly when testing from the world builder, so i won't have to build a new world from scratch. Thought i will stil look out if i can reproduce it.

And now for some more thouhts and ideas. (I actualy started to write them down, so i do not forget them.)

The tag list for gates is not compleatly visible, so making it scrollable or expandable would be helpful.

Will we get an option to coppy our whole world in text format, so we can make our ouwn backups and offline editing?

I personaly would allways wellcome an option to delete my account. Not that there is much practical use, but leaving behind a blank slate if so desired is very satisfaing.

All this writing makes my very selfconstious about my english abillities. I can figuratively feel how repetive some of my word choices are and at least every two sentences i have to look up how a word is properly written. And then some ... .

Edit:
Now the gates are acting up in a whole other way. If i do not have "Allow exit" checked i can not interact with them at all and if i have it checked, but the destination is the same room or blank, it throws me back in the world builder respectivly main menu, depending on where i came from. If not logged in it is the same for gates without "Allow exit", but with it it becomes the main menu no mater which world the destination is and black screen if the destinaion is blank.
And of course you now have fixed the bug which allowed me to look at your world in the editor and i can not look why your first gate still works. :(
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 04:24:27 pm by Daren Kazzarch »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 12, 2017, 04:12:27 pm »

The tag list has no real limit, so making it expandable wouldn't really make sense; it just gets the top 10 closest matches.  Right now it adds words automatically as they are suggested, though I will have to make a filtering system so that it doesn't get clogged up with garbage.  Maybe make the search smarter somehow.  Picking words already on the list will be ideal for getting hits to your world due to the way the gate search will work.  Also, it will be based on percentage of matches, so spamming tags will not be beneficial.

Saving and loading a world's data as text will be an option.

Deleting an account is possible, although worlds are stored according to their original owner so I will have to work out what to do with orphaned worlds.

Daren Kazzarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 13, 2017, 09:21:38 am »

The sugestion with the tag list i meant for the purpos of easier finding of existing tags. The percent based matches are a nice idea, but can't it be circumvented by placing a whole bunch of gates?
Apropos gates. The only gate travel which seems to work for me is to an yet unvisited world. In all other cases it kicks me into the main menu or editor.

Do you have any recomandations for image hosting? I am curently using DeviantArts sta.sh, which i am pretty sure is not its intended use.

Edit:
Also forgot to mention that as of yet i still have to succeed in establishing any interaction with an object, besides having it follow me because i entered its aggro range.
Though i like the custom animation system, as it allowes me to have multipple sprites in one image.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 09:25:53 am by Daren Kazzarch »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 13, 2017, 10:18:27 am »

Object checking and dialogue are both being reworked (there will be a targeting system that allows you to have conversations at a distance) so some parts of those might not work right.  You should be able to trigger events by touching though.

I'll have to do more tests with gates to see what's up with them.  By the way, disable room persistence if you have it enabled, it has some weird behavior right now.

Placing multiple gates could be an issue.  I do plan on making a system that penalizes you for having too many public gates though, possibly by basing the speed at which your world drains on the number of public gates.

I typically use photobucket for image storage.  There will be a proper upload system later though.

Edit: Figured it out: your world's ID has a colon in it.  Since gate paths are strings separated by colons (owner:world:room:gate), this messes up the path.
I'll have to put in a name validator.  In the meantime, avoid using special characters in object names.  (Titles, which are displayed in the gate locator, can be whatever you like.)
You can change the id of a world in the world builder, although this will actually duplicate it when you save it.  You will have to reload all existing gates, since they will still point to the original name (but they are broken anyway).

Daren Kazzarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 13, 2017, 12:02:12 pm »

Nice.

I used the dialogue event to check wheter i trigered something so jokes on me. The gate event triggred just fine. I had a look at the walk and jump event, but coldn't get them to work. If i'm interpreting it correctly, i have to specify the payer as the target? Woud that be something like "_player" in the target field?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 13, 2017, 01:11:00 pm »

Nice.

I used the dialogue event to check wheter i trigered something so jokes on me. The gate event triggred just fine. I had a look at the walk and jump event, but coldn't get them to work. If i'm interpreting it correctly, i have to specify the payer as the target? Woud that be something like "_player" in the target field?

Close.  To specify the player, you would use _game._avatar (_game specifies the game object itself, _avatar is a property of the game that points to the player's sprite.)
I know that there will need to be a proper guide at some point, but you can sort of try and deduce things using the object viewer.  Variables in blue are objects that can be clicked to view their available variables (except for the ones in arrays which don't work yet).  My advice is to view it when paused with the escape button, it's easier to navigate that way.

The "log" event is intended for debugging, it logs text to the browser console (press F12 and click console).  You'll have to deal with all my logging too though.  I will probably replace it with an in-game log so that it doesn't get mixed up with my junk.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 13, 2017, 05:08:40 pm »

So some more updates:

You can designate tiles over a square area in the tilemap editor by holding the shift button.

Sticky tiles (which disable jumping) and pits now work.  Pits kill you instantly for now, which resets the room.  You can jump over them.

You can download your world's data as JSON text, then upload it to the editor.

An "each" event has been added for iterating arrays.  While running an each loop, "#" will point to the current object.  For example, you can do something to every member of a class by making an each loop "each _layer._sprites", then target only sprites of a particular class using 'If #._name = "whatever"' inside this loop.  Timed commands (walking and jumping) can be a bit odd here, so don't go too overboard.

"@" is used in functions as a shortcut for the player sprite.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 14, 2017, 11:03:51 am »

Update on gates:

You can now make multi-tile gates by holding down the shift button to select an area.  When travelling from one gate to another, you are placed in a position based on the position you exited.  So if you make a 4 tile long exit and a 4 tile long entrance and then exit through the third tile you will be placed on the third tile.

There are also eight types of gates, which have different effects when you enter, the most important being walking gates.
Shift: No effect, basically instant transportation.  Default option.
Walk: You must give the gate a direction.  When you are placed on this gate, you will appear on a tile next to the gate instead of on the gate itself.  This way you can ensure that players won't walk backwards off the area.  Walk gates should logically be paired with other walk gates with opposite directions.
Here <-> Inside and Here <-> Outside: I struggled a bit naming these.  Basically these are for entrances and exits to caves, buildings, etc.  If the current room is outside, use Here <-> Inside, if the current room is inside, use Here <-> Outside.  These also work like Walk gates in that you appear next to them based on their associated direction.
Ground Hole and Sky Hole: For dropping into rooms from above and bouncing into them from below.  The effect is not done yet.
Bed: Designates a sleeping area, meditation spot, Matrix plug-in spot, anywhere that you could conceivably a world in a dream.  The area they lead to will be considered a dream.  Entering a room through a "Bed gate" is waking up from the dream.  There can be multiple dream-layers.  The effect is not done yet.
Teleport: You will vanish or appear with a poof.  The effect is not done yet.

When used to locate random gates, the gate type will affect the target as well to make transitions more sensible.  Walk gates lead to opposite-direction Walk spots, Shifts and Teleports lead to other Shifts and Teleports, Inside and Outside connect to each other, as do Ground and Sky Holes.  Beds will have special rules; they can connect to any gate type but will probably have lower connection probability to prevent their overuse.

Daren Kazzarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 14, 2017, 01:51:13 pm »

Haha, were you looking at my world? I was about to sugest something like the walking gates, but the idea for custom sized ones did not come to me. Over all a nice range of choices. A thing to consider: showing the entry direction option only for the apropriate gate type. Not terribly important in this particular instance, but for the future development of the editing menu in general. Hiding options which aren't relevant or don't do anything would be espetialy helpful for those, new to the menu.
Another thing are all those options for objects, i sugest grouping them into basic categories and showe them in collapsible tabs.

Will you keep the option to walk out of the world? As far as i can tell the only use it has, is that you can make some realy sneaky secret pasages AND you must/have to ? hope that the player doesn't walk away towards oblivion.

Pits.  :(
Only jumping over them i get going is per script, they basicly work as an insatnt death tile and not at all how they used to work in the original. So that would be my sugestion make a death/reset tile type and have the open space act as a jumpable pit if there is ground behind it and as a solid wall if there is an inacesible tille behind it.
Also i would like to request that open space tiles get overwriten by all other nondefault tiles from other tilesets. That way i could designate the default tile as open space, so all void is automaticly unwalkable but parts of the world which are built fom another tileset still are.
Alternatively have "open space" as default when no options are choosen and have "walkable" as an option.

Are the background image settings new or did i just never scroll that far down?  :o
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 90