Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 141236 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: BoundWorlds Reborn (Open alpha)
« Reply #300 on: August 22, 2017, 05:38:08 pm »

Global tilesets don't work just yet.  Global objects should be placeable just fine though...

Packages are in, though they are still only for private use (can't download another player's package yet, which is the main point...but that's coming soon enough).  You add objects to a package by opening the package and then clicking the objects.  Note that a package must be uploaded independently of the world it's in - if you exit and reload a world after transferring objects to a package, or editing objects that belong to a package, and don't upload the package, those objects will be gone when the world is reloaded.  I'll have to fix up the interface to make it more intuitive.

Packages can contain other packages.  In this way you can create an object hierarchy - for example, several different packages can make use of the same object by placing that object in a different package and then including that package in the other packages.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 22, 2017, 05:45:29 pm »

EDIT: Whatever you changed fixed my placement problems :)

EDIT2: One thing I noticed is that if you change the name of an object from inside a room, its name in the global list (in the window where you have objects and rooms listed) doesn't refresh.

EDIT:
I have a feature request ;)
It would be pretty cool if you could select 2x2, 3x3 and bigger chunks from a tileset and directly place them like that in the room.
That way it's easier to handle if you want larger than 32x32 tiles, since you could directly place a 128x128 tile for example.

ANOTHER EDIT:
Additionally to that, maybe the possibility to select and copy areas from the room (already placed tiles).

HERE WE EDIT AGAIN:
Another idea: Being able to block passage to a tile from a certain direction.

In this example, the door would be in a layer above the player (as well as the black tiles to the right of it)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 11:33:56 am by Asgarus »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 23, 2017, 12:10:45 pm »

I'm recoding some tilemap stuff already, necessary to get global tilesets to work.  Once that's done, copying and pasting an area of the room seems like a reasonable enough addition.

Directional tiles, and doorways such as you suggested, are most likely going to be in at some point, though I'm still working on the general implementation.  You can do something similar with 1 pixel thick solid door sprites in the meantime, just make sure to center the graphics properly.

Keep the suggestions coming  :)

By the way, did you figure out what was causing your earlier room to have massive slowdown?  I was trying to figure it out before you removed it.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 23, 2017, 01:00:30 pm »

I'm recoding some tilemap stuff already, necessary to get global tilesets to work.  Once that's done, copying and pasting an area of the room seems like a reasonable enough addition.

Directional tiles, and doorways such as you suggested, are most likely going to be in at some point, though I'm still working on the general implementation.  You can do something similar with 1 pixel thick solid door sprites in the meantime, just make sure to center the graphics properly.

Keep the suggestions coming  :)

By the way, did you figure out what was causing your earlier room to have massive slowdown?  I was trying to figure it out before you removed it.

Well, doorways themselves are already possible by using different layers.
The 1 pixel sprite is a good idea. For whatever reason I was assuming tile by tile movement when going through it in my head, even though I know that that's not the case Oô

I removed the background and the slowdown disappeared. Which is weird, since your Demo Dungeon has the same background but no slowdown.
I added it again and the slowdown came back. Gonna leave it out for now.

EDIT: Some more things: I'd like to be able to log in by pressing enter ;)
And it would be nice if you could navigate the editor using WASD.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 03:33:58 am by Asgarus »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 25, 2017, 10:52:14 am »

Since people have started to build worlds, I have started to implement the gate network coherence system!

There are two major aspects of the system to this that have been implemented.  First off, backtracking gates are now a thing.  You know the "allow backtrack" and "allow exit" checkboxes that never really did anything?  Now, if you exit through a Gate that has "allow backtrack" ticked, and travel to a Gate that has "allow exit" checked, when you pass back through the Gate you will return to the place you had left.  Backtracking data is reset whenever you exit a world using the "Q" button, more options for this will be created later.

Second, gate tags now work.  If you specify a tag describing your location and a tag describing the location of your destination, and you don't specify a specific Gate to travel to, the game will attempt to find an appropriate target.

For example, if I make the outside of an ancient temple in my world, and create a Gate in it that has "ancient" and "temple" as its destination tag list, the game will try to find an existing public Gate with the "ancient" and "temple" tags and place it there.  And if backtracking is active in both worlds, it will remain there until the backtracking list is reset.  Gate types will be used to specify appropriate gates better later (i.e. a "walking north" Gate will try to link with a "walking south" Gate) but that's not implemented yet.

If an appropriate Gate cannot be found, or if "allow exit" is checked but no tags are specified, a random target Gate will be selected instead.

Note that backtracking overrides a Gate's regular destination (i.e. the destination of a Gate is its default target).  If you want to make sure a public Gate will always lead to a particular location, uncheck the "allow exit" box.  (A bit of a misnomer, since you can exit through any gate that has a destination specified).

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 25, 2017, 12:03:29 pm »

Something is messed up here, btw ;)
(Tested in Firefox and Chrome)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 26, 2017, 12:23:15 pm »

I'm not seeing it... Maybe reload your cache?

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 26, 2017, 03:00:06 pm »

Already tried that. Also with Chrome, which I didn't open the page with before.
It's after I log in. The black box stays the same size but there is more content than before I log on.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 26, 2017, 04:25:06 pm »

I fixed up the stylesheet to make it more compact.  Hopefully that fixes the problem.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 26, 2017, 05:13:26 pm »

Yup, looks fine now. Thanks :)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 27, 2017, 08:33:14 am »

I've added a feature that automatically chooses a "walk" gate in the appropriate direction when you place it on the edge of the room...since selecting the wrong kind of Gate on the edge of a room causes the player to become stuck outside the room if they try to backtrack.  I also made a visible x,y tile selector for multi-tile Gates, to make it more clear that that's an option.

I'm adding custom parameters for sprites now, so when importing them you can give world builders more control over their use.  Similar to what the green checkboxes do now, but more customizable.  Once that's done, I'll start building the default packages.  Not sure yet what I'll put in them, stuff like doors, switches, blocks of various types, basic enemies and NPCs, and something to let the player transform into other things.  Maybe a few recurring characters.

Actually, I should probably make sounds first, shouldn't I...

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 27, 2017, 04:00:26 pm »

Sounds would be awesome.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 28, 2017, 12:28:19 am »

I need information from people who like playing video games!

I want to know the average "coins-per-second" in classic games.  That is, how many of the basic collectible is a player expected to collect in a level that takes a certain amount of time.

There must be a place on the Internet where I can go to request research such as this.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 28, 2017, 05:22:16 am »

Couldn't find anything. But it's likely that it's someone's hobby to research the gameplay of such games. Just gotta find their website :P

I guess it's not that easy to answer, since it probably heavily depends on the game.
I'm sure there are far more rings to gather in Sonic the Hedgehog than there are in Super Mario Bros.
And considering that you are not bound to a specific type of game in boundworld, it makes it even more complicated.

Also, in Sonic and Mario, rings/coins only give extra lives, while in boundworld they have more uses (iirc, you said something about using them to build worlds).

Also, people building their levels can basically place as many coins as they want, can't they?
And if not, where would one set the limit, what would be the requirements to place coins in my world?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 28, 2017, 09:52:46 am »

Asking all of the relevant questions.

I'm not going to place any direct restrictions on a world builder's ability to modify a player's score as they choose, so the question is, how to make the collection of...collectibles meaningful?

One way or another, the major restriction will be time.  The current planned system works as follows: For every second a player spends in a world, they automatically generate "shells".  They can also collect "sparks" (the basic collectible) which are placed by the world builder with no restrictions.  However, when traveling to a new world, any sparks which are not paired to a shell are destroyed.  Therefore, the amount of sparks collected from a world is limited to the amount of time a player spends in it.

Also, when leaving a world, each collected spark can "purify" a certain number of unpaired shells.  These purified shells are converted into sparks for the worldbuilder.

This system encourages world builders to create worlds that have a number of sparks roughly proportional to the amount of time they expect a player to spend getting them.  Too many sparks per second, and there are no unpaired shells left to purify.  Too few, and a the world builder gets a proportionally small amount back.  As for how and where sparks are collected, that depends on the worldbuilder's preference; they could be laid out as a trail (as in Mario or Sonic) or given in bundles as a prize for completing challenges.

The exact proportions of this equation need to be refined (how many sparks can be held in a shell, how many shells can a spark purify, probably a fractional amount to balance the reward for exploring vs building).

Also, quitting a world (instead of leaving through a Gate) will give no reward to either the world builder or the player.  So players will be discouraged from quitting in the middle and world builders will be discouraged from making inescapable areas.

Sparks will not be used to build worlds, but they may be used to protect them from The Corruption.  They may also serve as currency in shops, which I still need to work out.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 90