Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 141249 times)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Reborn (Open alpha)
« Reply #345 on: November 07, 2017, 12:00:10 am »

K. Until then, I’ll just write a note to remember to change that.
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #346 on: November 07, 2017, 02:46:57 am »

You can, however, store information between rooms within a world by setting a variable of the world itself.  (_world.yourvariable)  This will reset when changing worlds though.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 07, 2017, 07:30:39 am »

Yeah, not quite what I need. Good to know though.

Edit: At some point, a tileset fillbucket would be tremendously helpful. Filling in large blank areas gets tedious.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 03:17:35 pm by Kamani »
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 11, 2017, 11:02:13 am »

Edit: At some point, a tileset fillbucket would be tremendously helpful. Filling in large blank areas gets tedious.

You can fill in large areas by holding shift and dragging the mouse.  This is mentioned on the instructions page (under "creating your first world"), although perhaps not as prominently as it should be.

You can also make multi-tile gates this way.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 11, 2017, 11:05:27 am »

Oops. Probably should have read that more thoroughly. I noticed the multi tile gates, but not the shift thing. Anyways, thank you. That makes world building way more easy. Also, I should probably reread the creating your first world instructions...

Edit: Nevermind. Missed the obvious.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 06:59:10 pm by Kamani »

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 11, 2017, 07:04:33 pm »

Issue with packages: I can't use the import package button correctly. I click it, choose a package, and then nothing happens. I got the basic package to work by importing it and then creating a new package, but that didn't work for importing any of the others.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 12, 2017, 01:29:55 am »

I'm going to change the package system over today.  The site will be down while I do so.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 12, 2017, 03:51:49 am »

Okay.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 12, 2017, 09:44:26 am »

The new filesystem is up.  The credits system is not operational yet, but you can upload files and move them around freely.  All former public packages have been consolidated into the new system.

Existing non-packaged image files are left in for now, but they will be depreciated in the future, so you may want to re-upload them to make sure they continue to work.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 12, 2017, 05:00:37 pm »

I changed the equation for spark collection a bit - not enough to make a significant impact on world building, but worth noting anyway.

The maximum sparks a player can collect from a world is one spark per second of playing time.

The amount the world builder gains is maximized if the player collects one-fifth of their maximum possible.  Anything below this and the world builder will not receive as much.  Anything above this will be divided by five and then deducted from the one-fifth shared.  If the player collects the maximum possible, the world builder gets nothing.

So, there's a bit of a competition between the player and the world builder.  This allows you to create challenges that test the player's skill.

I'm making minor changes to the avatar's abilities.  I want to strike a balance between combat and movement abilities, but not to feel too much like a platforming sprite.  I've removed the ability to dash in mid-air but extended the range of the dash so that it clears exactly one tile, making hopping across "stepping stones" easier but consumes stamina.  Rolling feels nice, but I want to tweak it so it functions more as a combat evasion ability and less of a general movement skill.  Not sure what to do about jump height...should the default avatar be able to jump up a whole tile?

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 12, 2017, 08:54:53 pm »

Spark system seems good. To clarify: do you mean if you pass 1/5, then 1/5 of all sparks is subtracted, or only the amount above the 1/5 will be divided by 5 and subtracted. If the latter, then being at equilibrium sparks and time would still net the builder some sparks.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 12, 2017, 11:40:29 pm »

The second.  The world builder will get some sparks as long as the player doesn't get the maximum possible.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 12, 2017, 11:46:04 pm »

If it is the second, wouldn’t the world builder would still get some sparks at Time = Collected Sparks? Since past the 1/5th would be 4/5s, one fifth of four fifths is 4/25th. 1/5 - 4/25 is 1/25, so the world builder would still get a few. Sorry if I am babbling on about math. Too many math classes lately. But anyways, did I miss something?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 13, 2017, 03:12:34 am »

Code: [Select]
if (sparks > time) sparks = time;
if (sparks > time / 5) return (time / 5) - (sparks / 5);
else return sparks;

This is the current equation.  It might not be ideal; I haven't gone over it much, but the general purpose is that in a given world collecting (time/5) sparks should be easy even for casual players, while collecting (time) sparks should be impossible.

The player will not have to think about this ideally; the only impact it will have on them is if they play a poorly-made "treasure" world that gives them a ton of sparks, they will lose a bunch of them when travelling.  The system is designed to guide world builders.

I'll make some kind of current ratio indicator so world builders can run tests to establish the difficulty of their world.

Also the returned value is divided by 10 so as not to make building as opposed to travelling too overpowered, but that has no impact on the world building process itself.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 13, 2017, 07:35:20 am »

Okay. Makes sense.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 90