Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 140980 times)

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
Re: BoundWorlds Reborn (Open alpha)
« Reply #360 on: November 13, 2017, 09:44:29 am »

Just would like to say: This looks amazing.
Any documentation for the scripting language?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #361 on: November 13, 2017, 12:49:05 pm »

Not yet.  That part of the guide has yet to be written, and some bits (particularly the targeting and dash physics) still need refinement.

Most of it should be pretty familiar territory if you've worked with programming systems before, though.  (One oddity being that null variables and "false" booleans are equal to 0.)  There's also mouseover text to help you, and if you click on any object while in world testing mode a window will appear displaying all of that object's current variables.

You can also view the code of any packaged objects, though the only current public object with any notable scripting is the spider and its poison effect.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #362 on: November 13, 2017, 12:53:56 pm »

Not yet.  That part of the guide has yet to be written, and some bits (particularly the dash and jump physics) still need refinement.

Most of it should be pretty familiar territory if you've worked with programming systems before, though.  (One oddity being that undefined variables and "false" booleans are equal to 0.)  There's also mouseover text to help you, and if you click on any object while in world testing mode a window will appear displaying all of that object's current variables.

You can also view the code of any packaged objects, though the only current public object with any notable scripting is the spider and its poison effect.
Neat-o.
Also, thats not much of an oddity. Thats a javascript thing.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 13, 2017, 11:16:33 pm »

Oh, by the way, how does special attack creation work? I looked at bite, and I didn’t see how it worked at all. Could you try to explain this (unless it is in world creation notes)?
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 14, 2017, 01:14:17 am »

Oh, by the way, how does special attack creation work? I looked at bite, and I didn’t see how it worked at all. Could you try to explain this (unless it is in world creation notes)?

Aside from the conditions for use, most of which should be fairly self-explanatory (though I suppose I do need to add the mouseover text), all of the details of a technique are determined in the keyframe editor (under "animation and behaviors").

A technique is essentially a series of one-frame functions.  You can navigate the keyframes by clicking on the small bar at the bottom of the left column; vertical lines represent frames that have data set to them.

Let's dissect the spider's Bite technique.

The bite is a close-range (16 pixel range) attack that creates a hitbox that applies a poison effect on contact.  An AI spider will check for available targets (nearby enemies) at random, no more than 120 frames since the last check.  If it finds a target, it will spend 90 frames attempting to get in range (16 frames away).  If it fails to get in range, the technique is cancelled.  When in range, the technique will activate.  Basically this means the spider will occasionally rush forward to bite a target.  (A player controlled spider will skip this step; the technique will be available when 16 frames away from an enemy as long as it is not on cooldown).

The technique itself has 2 keyframes (actually 3, but the first one is just a log event I used for testing).  On frame 10 it temporarily sets speed and turning to 0, basically cancelling all movement.  On frame 15 it creates a hitbox 16 pixels in front of the spider.  (I actually had the positioning off before; it is supposed to be {16,0} not {0,-16}, which places the hitbox to the left of the spider instead.  I fixed it, but if you copied the code for your Phantom Spider you will need to change it.)  On contact, the hitbox triggers the spider's "venom" function.

Since there's currently no support for real status effects, the venom function works by creating a "poison" sprite (a hidden sprite packaged with the spider) and setting the poison's "target" variable to _other (i.e. the sprite that the hitbox made contact with).  When updating, the poison object positions itself on the target and drains the target's HP.

Techniques can be used for many things, although as previously mentioned vertical targeting is still kind of wonky, especially in sidescrolling mode.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 14, 2017, 07:49:28 am »

Okay. Thank you. I’ll try this out in my next world. After I fix phantom spider, anyways.

Edit: Now that the spider is fixed, I understand how it works a little better. Next project: monsters with cool attacks (and using some of the other monster arts that aren't spider/bat). Edit: Or not. They are gone. More importantly, so is the basic package, including the tileset.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:22:07 am by Kamani »
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 14, 2017, 09:25:13 am »

So the resources folder (the one that wasn't my resources or search) is gone, and only the monsters, vfx, and people packages are left. In other words, neither the basic tileset nor any of the switches or coins or doors are either (Plus, I liked having some of the stuff in the general resources).

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 14, 2017, 09:31:49 am »

Whaaat...?

Somehow it was made private.  I changed it back.  Gonna look into it to see how that happened.  Probably happened when I edited it.

Edit: Yeah I see what went wrong.  Shouldn't happen again.  As long as you didn't save, all the objects should still be there.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 14, 2017, 09:33:45 am »

Thanks. Now I can start my project back up when I am at a computer.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 14, 2017, 01:48:07 pm »

Uhh... What happened to the switch art? It is now the ball art.

Edit: Also, how many frames are there per second? I looked through the help guide, and I didn't see this. It would be helpful with determining most things related to enemy creation.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:14:20 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 14, 2017, 02:21:33 pm »

Uhh... What happened to the switch art? It is now the ball art.

Edit: Also, how many frames are there per second? I looked through the help guide, and I didn't see this. It would be helpful with determining most things related to enemy creation.

Oh right, I was going to make a proper switch sprite.  Don't worry about it, it'll be replaced.  The old sprite is under "lightball", if you were looking for that.
The game runs at 60 FPS (ideally).

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 14, 2017, 02:29:41 pm »

Okay. A serious issue, apperently: I left the world I was editing through a gate (honestly, I was hoping to get into edit mode for a world with something with shoot so I could figure out how to make projectiles), and the world, when I returned, had unloaded every package and I could no longer load packages (this must be the issue that messed up packages last time. Thankfully, the only thing in the world I cared about was saved (I was working on making some hovering enemies. Before I figured out the basic concept I had some odd results).

Anyways, the actually important part is that packages seem to be broken (even for new worlds) if you leave a world while editing it (I both saved and didn't save changes, so I don't know which it was, or if it was both)

Edit: Also, will two worlds with the same filename break stuff? Because I seem to be able to do that, and I can imagine that making issues.

Edit: Oops! Forgot to say thanks for answering my questions, so thanks!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:33:05 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 14, 2017, 02:59:50 pm »

Two worlds with the same filename would cause issues, but I don't think it's possible...Actually it looks like it just overwrites the old one if you save.

I'll check out the package issue.  And perhaps make a few more public sprites as coding examples.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 14, 2017, 03:37:34 pm »

That would be extremely convenient. I just can’t figure out how to make bullets for my fireball shooting monster.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 14, 2017, 04:33:48 pm »

I fixed the package removal bug.

I also uploaded the "Gunslinger" package, which will be a good start for learning the projectile code.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 90