Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 141281 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: BoundWorlds Reborn (Open alpha)
« Reply #540 on: December 02, 2017, 02:12:52 pm »

If you're using a complex tilesheet, my suggestion would be to not add any properties to the tilemap itself.  You can use one tilemap for the graphics and add a second, invisible one to handle the physics.  That way you don't have to add a bunch of properties, or worry about forgetting one.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: December 02, 2017, 02:14:08 pm »

... Why didn't I think of that... Ah well.

Edit: Decided not to use the tileset for now. There is no grass tiles. I am just going to use the normal tile set if nobody can suggest anything.

Edit: Hey, a game that has an excuse for every house in the entire world pointing south. Just noticed. Neat!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 03:10:52 pm by Kamani »
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: December 02, 2017, 03:34:18 pm »

Exciting times! Thanks for being so active Indigo!

EDIT: Tileset is expanding. Gonna be very basic for a while, need stairs and doors next I think. Also fades for the walls and a generic black space for people to pass under.

And then after that I think I can finally start working on some variety, making it more detailed and polished.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 04:28:17 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: December 02, 2017, 07:17:49 pm »

Huh, neat! Currently I just use the basic tilesets (still too lazy to find anything new), even though it doesn't look super nice for towns. I am going to go look for some more monster arts though, because a town populated exclusively by spiders and bats would be odd.

Edit: So what would people who do a lot of travelling (this IS for a community of monsters) think the player is (I just want to get my details right)?

Edit: Hey, look, a bunch more Hyptosis tiles. Thanks IndigoFenix! Didn't notice those earlier.
Edit: Since it seems that everything in the tilesets I found is in those ones, should I just toss mine? No need for duplicates.

Edit: After an age of work (these Hyptosis tiles take a lot of work to place), I have finished the exterior of the town. That took a while. Now I just have to do the dungeon and the entrance. At least I figured out how to do the entrance dialogue?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 12:55:15 am by Kamani »
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: December 03, 2017, 12:55:53 am »

"Human" would be my go-to name from a monster's perspective.

Other humans who know about other worlds might call them "Traveler."  Even those who don't might use the same name since they wear a cloak that makes them look like a traveler.

I should probably come up with an "official" name for the character (or their body at least), in the same sense that other placeholder nameless characters like Chara and (originally) Link have names.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 03, 2017, 12:57:16 am »

Should I delete my extra Hyptosis tiles? You added a larger set that contains everything I had put up, so I might as well.

Edit: Also, thank you for the character information. That should make this much easier.

Edit: After 30ish minutes of work (maybe an hour?), I finished my town's tilesetting. Still doesn't look perfect, but it looks more like an actual town than if I used the default. Unfortunately, it was way harder to set up. Now that I have the town and the entrance done, I just have characters, interiors, and the dungeon left to do.

Edit: Also, I hate coming up with names...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 01:15:27 am by Kamani »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 03, 2017, 09:58:08 am »

Here's an idea. Is it possible to say, make an impassable wall tile that looks like a shop and then stick an animated shopkeeper on a lower layer and still be able to talk to them?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 03, 2017, 10:46:36 am »

Not directly but you can make a counter sprite in front of the shopkeeper and use the counter to trigger the dialogue.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 03, 2017, 10:48:21 pm »

Anyone have any ideas for monsters I could use with the Hyptosis tiles? I want to use something besides just bats and spiders (and an acolyte), but I can't find anything in the right art style.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 03, 2017, 11:47:26 pm »

Charas has some parts for humanoid monsters.

Also, if you can't find any 4-directional sprites, 2-directional ones are much more common.  I thought it was lazy but some surprisingly professional games use 2-directional sprites in a top-down view and nobody really notices.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: December 03, 2017, 11:54:09 pm »

Huh. Never seen topdown with 2 directional sprites.
Edit: excepting roguelikes.

I don’t really care if monsters are humanoid, I just want some diversity. Preferably a fair number would be humanoid and an equal number would not be.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: December 04, 2017, 01:42:00 am »

You probably have and just didn't notice - I didn't until I started doing research on how games handled directional designs.  Link's Awakening often didn't even have two directions, and several of the enemies in Hyper Light Drifter, a game praised for its graphics despite this.  Terranigma and other Zelda-esque titles from the SNES era did this as well on occasion.  Several, like Super Mario RPG also use 4-way diagonal sprites, which is cheaper since you only need to actually draw front and back, and then flip them horizontally.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 04, 2017, 09:31:10 am »

I haven't actually played any of those (and I wasn't around on the SNES era), but I'll keep my eye out for that. I know I have seen them in roguelikes (because they generally aren't praised for graphics anyways), and I have seen 4-way diagonal sprites, but I don't recall seeing them otherwise (but I probably did just miss them).

Edit: Just noticed that boundworlds is actually on http://indigofenix.com/boundworlds/. So I removed the boundworlds/ to see what would happen. Neat!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 09:35:37 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 04, 2017, 11:25:07 am »

Ha, yeah, it's kind of a site that I use for works in progress before migrating them to their own websites.  Though I'm not sure what you find on it that you'd call neat, most of it is just half-baked ramblings.

I'm still working on fixing up the physics.  I don't want to upload it until it's done, but it's looking pretty similar to the system I described earlier.  At any point in "platforming" mode that there is no solid block between the player and a floor tile below them, they can move "off" the wall.  Ideally, any movement that an object can make in one direction can be performed in the opposite direction, thereby giving each tile a distinct and consistent position relative to its neighbors and preventing the bugs associated with top-down to platformer boundaries that plague the pre-update version, although may still be possible to make larger structures that don't make physical sense in absolute 3D space.

Also I'm making ladders no longer work "automatically" when you pass their tile; you will have to press up to grab them and will be able to release your hold to get off them.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: December 04, 2017, 01:40:26 pm »

Color magic was neat.

Also, is there any lore regarding Acolytes? They may also work for my town if their lore fits.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 90