Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 141509 times)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Open Alpha - Explore the Multiverse and build a world!
« Reply #720 on: January 20, 2018, 11:33:43 am »

Well that stinks.

Yes. Told you I 90% stole the names. I REALLY wasn’t kidding about being bad at them. But, Mistborn (and Elantris, Warbreaker, the Stormlight archive, and to a lesser extent, Steelheart, all of the OTHER Sanderson books) are really good. Oh, but Batelier isn’t from Mistborn, it is just a random word, but with a bad bat pun added.
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #721 on: January 20, 2018, 12:32:45 pm »

Ha, just wondering.  I do the same; actually Tim in Protea is a whole-character reference to a character from an old SNES game that nobody's every heard of, but was a big influence on BoundWorlds' aesthetics and gameplay.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: January 20, 2018, 12:52:58 pm »

Fair enough. Slightly glad to know that I’m not the only one who copies names.

Edit: At least I didn’t name any characters Hoid (you have to have read a fair amount of Sanderson (or just Stormlight Archive), for this to make sense).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 02:47:21 am by Kamani »
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Open Alpha - New images available!
« Reply #723 on: January 22, 2018, 10:28:45 pm »

I am having another issue with the tile puzzle. For some reason, the puzzle is considering itself solved for no reason that I can see. I spent about thirty minutes looking at it, so it is probably something terribly obvious (by the way, the reason I am taking so long is because I am really busy these days). Anyways, once this is done, and I have some more rebalancing done, I should be half done, and the second half should be easier. Except the boss, which I have rather grandiose plans for, so that might take a while. At least I already have my plan for what it should be (two phases, one fast, but more fragile, and hitting less hard, and one large, slow phase that hits hard, but tends to forecast their skills)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: January 23, 2018, 03:51:04 am »

"true" and "false" are not keywords in BoundWorlds.  The game is evaluating them as if they were variable names, and since these variables are not set, it is simply reading both as 0.  So true = false, because true = 0 and false = 0.

Usually I use 0 for false, and 1 for true.

Ugh, I hate these puzzles :)  You might want to make a "reset button" that sets all tiles _class to their _original_class.

That boss sounds cool.  Personally I'm partial to telegraphed boss fights where it is possible to avoid every move, although BoundWorlds lets you make a more "RPG-like" system where you're expected to take damage.  This will be more fair with healing items/spells, perhaps?

The status effect system is under construction.  It works through a "parasite-host" system - status effects are actually sprites (kind of like how poison works now) and can have their own AI and operations in addition to their effect on their host.  Effects are basically multipliers for existing variables that are reversed when the effect ends.

I'm also making some posts to other media in order to gain more interest.  I made a Reddit page!

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: January 23, 2018, 07:49:16 am »

Oh, I forgot that I couldn’t set variables to words as well as numbers. Right.

K.

Oh, right.

Makes sense.

Cool!

Edit: Okay, so that stopped it from instantly switching to solved, but now it isn't counting as solved at all. Any idea why it might not be working?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:25:16 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: January 23, 2018, 12:01:05 pm »

You forgot to change the true and false values in the _checked function in the inactive tile.  (If a sprite transforms in the middle of a function, it will still continue to run the original function)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: January 23, 2018, 01:30:36 pm »

Oh. Okay. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:21:21 am by Kamani »

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: January 26, 2018, 10:25:36 am »

Package uploaded and done! It should work (please tell me if something goes wrong), and it is public, so anyone can use it. _room.tpuz = 1 is the solved variable (_room.rtpuz = 1 is the reverse solved variable, for if you turn the whole thing red. Good for people who like secret areas maybe? Both can't be true at once, since changing it from full field red will turn off _room.rtpuz). I included a score sign object, the main purpose of which is to show all of the relevant moves/resets variables (minus _room.rtpuz), but could be used to show how well people did, and a reset button, since puzzles are frequently easier to solve from the start rather than from the finish. Have fun with it, and tell me how it works/doesn't work for you.

I am now working on balancing up the second floor. It seems like battles can either be finished up pretty easily or they can become very hard. For example, some battles against the Pyreskull and Mushghast have left me with tops a sixth of my life missing, whereas others have killed me. The golems do the same, since, although the little bugs don't do much damage, the bigger ones inflict kb, and if you attack someone who is using a jump attack, you take damage. This means that with the crowd of bugs, it can be hard to attack (although the time where I ended up with 5 subgolem clones on screen was entirely my fault. And also quite fatal, but, that happens). There seems to be a trick to golem fighting, which is to attack then move back repeatedly. Not quite sure how to balance this out.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: January 26, 2018, 02:46:19 pm »

Okay, terrible and frustrating glitch. For no apparent reason, parts of the things I am working on will randomly unhappen. I had created a room for death dialogue, made the death dialogue, put it in the room, left the room to go to the home menu to set up the death gates, but the room was gone. So I remade the room, thinking I must have deleted it, did that all again, but the item disappeared. So I remade the item, and this time, half of the text on the item disappeared. In another area, I placed a mob, came back, and it was gone. In the same area, I had place some blocks, and they were gone. This is making work completely impossible. Is there some way I can make this stop?

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #730 on: January 26, 2018, 03:13:17 pm »

Uh, either Indigo has made a major bug (Too liberal use of the delete keyword) or they found a major bug in either V8 (Chrome), Shakra (Edge), or Spidermonkey (Firefox) not handling GC right. I'd say overuse of delete or dropping of references rather than a browser bug.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: January 27, 2018, 11:37:56 am »

I'm trying to replicate your bug but everything seems to be working correctly.  Can you tell me the exact steps that caused it?  It sounds similar to the earlier bug related to persistent rooms but I'm pretty sure I fixed that.

I've noticed the same issues related to your enemy's difficulty, and I think a large part of it has to do with the cramped areas you fight them in - it doesn't leave much room for dodging and depending on how they move you can wind up taking a bunch of nearly unavoidable damage.  There also aren't any real "tells" that let you anticipate an attack either, which can be a real pain at close range combat (pausing for a few frames before an attack can make a huge difference in how "fair" an enemy feels).  If you're going for an "action" type area, making attacks avoidable is a must.  If you're going for an "RPG" type area, enemy attacks need to be weaker.

Sorry about the update taking so long, I'm basically rebuilding the entire variable system in order to make it work smoothly with multiple simultaneous status effects.  I'm also planning on adding equipment slots and elemental weaknesses/resistances.  It'll open up a ton of new possibilities when it's done.  (It shouldn't break any earlier code though.)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: January 27, 2018, 11:41:13 am »

I don’t know the exact steps that caused it. I’ll probably bump into it again, but until that happens I don’t know. Sorry.

No worries. Sounds cool!

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: January 28, 2018, 12:37:20 am »

Okay, steps for me: I went into the object menu for my deathdialogue, edited the go to (first I set it to go back to the room by mistake, but then I fixed it to go to where it should), added an else, copied the go to and edited it, closed it with the X, saved, and tested. Changes had reverted to the point where I had set the go to to incorrectly just go back to that room. The time before that, I did the exact same thing, but changes reverted back to before I had set the first go to in the first place. The room isn't set to persist, so... I am at a loss.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: January 28, 2018, 03:49:52 am »

Ok, it looks like changing a gate doesn't set the "object was edited, must save changes" flag.  I'll fix this when I get the chance (hopefully later today), for now you can get around it by just moving the event to a different spot in the function and then moving it back so it realizes it's been edited.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 90