Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 139807 times)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Update: Trailer Video Uploaded
« Reply #930 on: June 05, 2018, 04:49:31 pm »

Cool.

I just took a look at the trailer, and it was pretty cool. Although, what was the map that was visible during the "and labyrinths to challenge the Avatars"? It looked pretty nice, and I wasn't familiar with it. Also, since I saw colored text used in said trailer for Alan and Rel and it looked good, I decided to switch to using colored text for characters (which also helps differentiate between non-character text (stuff like "you received x" or "the door opens"), which has white text in all instances). Thanks for the (idea I guess would be the phrase here? Not entirely certain).

Edit: Check the Charasproject link by the way. It is broken (apparently it is charas-project.net, and the one on the Media Resources tab has no hyphen).

Edit: For some reason, the opacity on Textbox Styles text color is treated as 0 if the use text color option is checked and cannot be changed. Because of this, using the text color setting in the Text Box menu doesn't work, since using it makes your text not show up.

Edit: Could Flowcharts be added to items? This might be relevant for more complicated ones, so...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 11:42:28 pm by Kamani »
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: June 05, 2018, 06:44:32 pm »

So... no spoilers please, but is there (or will there be) a reason for the Harlequin Epicycle to not destroy the world?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #932 on: June 05, 2018, 11:50:26 pm »

Quote from: Kamani link=topic=137474.msg7779634#msg7779634
Although, what was the map that was visible during the "and labyrinths to challenge the Avatars"? It looked pretty nice, and I wasn't familiar with it.

That was by Kiovenn.  It isn't publicly accessible, but it was too cool to not include  :)

So... no spoilers please, but is there (or will there be) a reason for the Harlequin Epicycle to not destroy the world?

There will be.  I'm a big fan of games that offer multiple solutions to problems (the combat/diplomacy/stealth trifecta is my favorite) so I'm going to try and include a non-violent solution to everything at some point.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: June 06, 2018, 12:00:14 am »

Quote from: Kamani link=topic=137474.msg7779634#msg7779634
Although, what was the map that was visible during the "and labyrinths to challenge the Avatars"? It looked pretty nice, and I wasn't familiar with it.

That was by Kiovenn.  It isn't publicly accessible, but it was too cool to not include  :)
Ah, okay. Thanks. Hope they release some stuff. It seems like there is some cool stuff from them.

Just spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out why this item's Memory Partition wasn't working. Then I realized I didn't add the @. before it. Oops. Well... at least it was an easy fix?

I threw on some edits in my last post, and since two were error reports, I am just making sure they got noticed. If you had had the tab open before I added them, they could easily have been missed, so I wanted to make sure.

Edit: Randomly got the something went wrong Oh Snap chrome page while editing. Thankfully, I randomly save pretty often, but... still annoying, and it could cause more trouble. It didn't really seem to be caused by anything, I had just saved, left, was backing out to the top I think, and then it randomly crashed. Sorry that I can't provide any more details, but I have no clue why this happened.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 12:30:12 am by Kamani »
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: June 06, 2018, 01:53:13 am »

I'm seeing the edits.  I'll work on them.

I've seen that bug before.  It seems to be related to Chrome simply running out of memory, and may be unavoidable in some more complex worlds depending on one's computer hardware limits (it happened a lot more on my old computer).

This is one of the reasons that I am planning on converting BoundWorlds into a downloadable app; the app version doesn't seem to have this problem.  Until then, just make sure to save often.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: June 06, 2018, 01:55:19 am »

Okay. Thanks.

I had been editing for a while, so that would make sense. I’ll make sure to save often. Thanks.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: June 06, 2018, 05:33:17 am »

Flowcharts for items could be tricky, but one thing you can do is make a new class with a flowchart and have the item create a sprite from that class.  (That's how all but the simplest items work anyway.)  Make sure to package the class with the item if you do package them.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: June 06, 2018, 05:36:07 am »

Oh, hadn’t thought of that. That should make things tough. Thanks.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: June 06, 2018, 10:33:04 am »

Fixed the issue with color inheritance.

By the way, you can change the name that appears over a dialogue box by changing the sprite's {_title}.

The next big update will be data structures, I think - basically the ability to create abstract objects that do nothing but store variables, and also to create and manipulate lists.  This won't add much for basic things, but it will greatly expand the possibilities for more complex functions, like procedural generation or storing large amounts of data without creating a bunch of actual sprites to do it.  It will also be essential for API functions.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: June 06, 2018, 12:55:13 pm »

Okay. Good.

I never thought of that for some reason. I guess I can stop placing invisible targets for a title change then. Thanks

Cool. Seems useful. Although I can’t remember what an API is and what it is used for. I know I’ve seen it before, so that’s annoying.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: June 07, 2018, 10:27:36 pm »

Hmm. BoundWorlds is running a bit slowly. Harlequin Epicycle and the larger Protea rooms are all lagging, and the world editor started taking about ten seconds to let me edit rooms. This started possibly a week or so ago (hard for me to remember exactly), and I don't really remember if anything changed around that time, but it is really rather annoying. Don't know if this is a problem just for me or a general issue, so is anyone else having this issue?

Edit: Working on the inside of a house, no idea what to use for interior walls that fit with the style of Hyptosis tiles (ironically, the Hyptosis ones don't really fit with the otherwise more bright tiles). Any suggestions? I searched around and couldn't find anything just by searching interior, but I'll try again later, and maybe I'll have better luck then.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 11:05:16 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: June 08, 2018, 12:56:41 am »

The loading time is an intentional change.  Basically, I noticed that there was an issue with cached files - when old files get deleted new ones can overwrite them, the problem is that if the browser caches the file then it will load the old one instead, which can cause different computers to use different images for things.  This is a bad thing, so I removed caching in general.  The problem is that if a room is loaded before all the images are then stuff can happen without you being able to see it, which is also a bad thing.  So rooms take a few seconds to load now (but only once per session; files are still cached within a session.)  The game does not wait for sound files to load though, which is why sometimes music loading is off.  This issue can be mitigated somewhat during gameplay by using the "preload room" event a bit of time before entering the room, but the world builder still has to wait.  (I might add a function to automatically preload rooms if there is a gate leading to that room in the current room.)

As for the game itself running slowly, I'll have to check - it's possible that something in the code changed to be less efficient than before.  My computer is pretty fast, so I don't see all of the issues, but I'd like to keep BW running at a solid 60 frames for even mediocre computers.  I wonder if there's a way to simulate a slower computer using a faster one?

I uploaded a bunch of interior tiles recently, and tagged them with "indoor".  Not sure if they go perfectly with Hyptosis, but you can check them out.  If it's a color issue, you can try recoloring the tilesets (making the color black or white and adding a small amount of opacity can make the colors less "bright").

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: June 08, 2018, 01:00:23 am »

Ah, okay. Fair enough.

Okay. My computer isn’t super great, but it is pretty okay.

I saw those. My problem is actually that I didn’t see any walls. The tiles otherwise seemed perfect, but rooms don’t really work without walls. I also could have missed them foolishly, but that is life.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: June 08, 2018, 05:17:46 am »

It's fine.  When my old computer died, I decided to invest in a gaming laptop, so I've gotten a bit spoiled.
I figured out a way to simulate a slower computer, by changing the maximum CPU usage in power settings.  Turns out the problem was indeed one of the changes I made recently, which makes it possible for sprites to render above the main layer, which is used to make manipulating sprites hidden by foreground objects easier.  It had a very inefficient system for handling this, so I improved on it.  It should run much faster now.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: June 08, 2018, 10:53:24 am »

Ah, okay.
Okay. Thanks. Glad it should be running faster (now maybe I can finish the Epicycles battle).

Edit: Item issue with potions: For some reason, using one of the full heal potions costs me two.

Edit: Worlds are sometimes opening with the tiles not visible (just objects) and everything running super slowly before the tiles load in and everything goes back to normal. This should probably not be happening after loading?
Side note: Harlequin Epicycle is running better, but is still a bit slow. Not sure if it is just me or a general issue.
Edit on my note: Running a bit unreliable. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower. Odd.

Edit: The first time I buy a full heal potion at Protea's store, I get nothing. I only get a potion the second time I buy (and I still lose the money). Wow, I am losing like 250 sparks because of all the weird issues I keep running into. Not my lucky day. Well, c'est la vie.

Edit: Hey, actually managed to beat the Epicycle. Took 3 sets of potions (see the double cost thing) and the Sealer Sword (with associated vaguely creepyish messages). Well, got my Flame of the Void Mage. Sweet. Now I can actually work on my project once I get some time, instead of trying to see what happens when the Epicycle looses. Well, I can start on Monday, since I don't have to work or anything. Or Sunday, if I don't end up busy.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 01:55:33 am by Kamani »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 90