Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 139766 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

BoundWorlds
The Collaborative Mutliverse Project

Videos:

Open Alpha Trailer
Early Gameplay Video (Protea Demo)
Early Gameplay Video (Harlequin Epicycle Battle)
Detailed Features Explanation Video
Legendary Dungeons Trailer
Tutorial Video Playlist

Spoiler: Images (click to show/hide)

What is BoundWorlds?

BoundWorlds is a "massively single player" browser-based RPG/exploration game/level editor with a twist.

In it, you play as a nameless traveler who wanders from world to world through portals called 'Gates', meeting NPCs, solving puzzles, overcoming obstacles, and exploring the collective dreamscape that is the BoundWorlds universe.  But that's only half of the game.  Because all of the worlds you explore are drawn, designed, and patched together by players such as yourself.

Unlike most 'design your own level' games, the BoundWorlds 'Hub' is not a point where all the levels are accessed.  Instead, it serves only as the starting point on your traveler's journey.  When designing a world, you can create exits that lead to whichever world you choose.  BoundWorlds has a cohesive, network-like geography as a result.

You don't have to design a full game to create a part of the BoundWorlds network.  One player's dungeon can become a part of another player's overworld.  An artfully designed hallway can serve as a corridor between two separate worlds.  A painting-filled castle in the sky can become a nexus for multiple levels designed by different players.  And so on...

You can explore the BoundWorlds universe without logging in, but you need to log in to save data or create worlds.

Spoiler: Game Controls (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Current Features (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Media Resources (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Spark System (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lore (some spoilers) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Planned features (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Original Inspirations (click to show/hide)

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about reviving an old project of mine...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 11:06:17 am »

This certainly looks interesting, and I may have a go at making a world later. A couple of questions though:
Would gates have to be to a specific world? Or would 'random' gates be possible?
And, of course, how possible would it be to script in basic combat using the language already there?
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 11:23:46 am »

This certainly looks interesting, and I may have a go at making a world later. A couple of questions though:
Would gates have to be to a specific world? Or would 'random' gates be possible?
And, of course, how possible would it be to script in basic combat using the language already there?

Random gates, as in link to a random gate in a given list?  Or random as in links to any possible gate?
The second would defeat the purpose (kind of like a random URL).  The first isn't possible now, but could be put in later.

A basic combat script... Well, modifying variables are possible, so I guess you could use a variable as an HP level and have certain actions decrease it...but really the scripting system is extremely basic, it's more like, you need to pick up the key before you can open the door, or talking to person A after talking to person B will make him say something different...stuff like that.  The current focus is on exploration, in-depth gaming will be something to look into for later developments.  (I mean, NPCs can't technically even move yet.  I abandoned the project while I was in the middle of writing the scripting.)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 06:14:51 pm »

This looks really interesting, but is sorely lacking in motivations.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 06:41:38 pm »

Ohohoho, i love the idea of linked worlds like this! I like exploring things, and the way you've made it is an excellent way of facilitating both creativity and exploration. I realize this is still early in development, so i'll refrain from commenting too much about the visual side, which for the time being serves its purpose. One thing, however, is that white outline around the otherwise excellent player character ajkgrhjsgdshf, which i'm sure you know of yourself. :U

One more thing, by the way. Conflicting sprite styles could realistically become a thing, especially between the player and the environment. Also, given how players can make their own graphics and sounds in the world, wouldn't some grief-proofing be needed? I mean, i doubt that the average Bay watcher would do such things, but y'know, trolls sadly do exist. Although i suppose you can just close the tab if you happen upon a "grief world", so it's probably not a big issue for the time being.

Long story short: Colour me interested! c:

Edit: Now look at what you made me do. :<
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not done yet, obviously, but i can't just leave a droll tileset like this go unfinished. :P
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 09:23:10 pm by Shook »
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 11:38:32 pm »

Of course griefer worlds will show up, but since nobody will link to them except other griefers the only way to access them will be through the Main Gate, and they will fade into obscurity fairly quickly..  At some point there will need to be an automatic system for separating good content from bad, but for now it's just a matter of convincing other popular worlds to link to yours, with the top being controlled by me  :P.  I do intend to make a system that rewards creativity for its own sake instead of becoming a suck up contest, but until there are more worlds to work with this system will suffice.

That's a nice world you've got going there, Shook.  When you're ready, add in a public gate and I'll link to it.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 02:38:30 am »

This looks very cool, but the login/sign up interface always fails to connect to the server for me.

EDIT:
And the world creation area. I can get to "Enter a world name", but hitting OK! doesn't do anything.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:01:00 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 03:08:19 am »

This looks very cool, but the login/sign up interface always fails to connect to the server for me.

EDIT:
And the world creation area. I can get to "Enter a world name", but hitting OK! doesn't do anything.

The server has an annoying tendency to go down every so often.  I'm going to have to either file a complaint or just move to a more reliable host.  Try again in a little while.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 03:15:10 am »

EDIT:

The server has an annoying tendency to go down every so often.  I'm going to have to either file a complaint or just move to a more reliable host.  Try again in a little while.
Ah, cool. Was worried it might be because of long oversea ping times, but it makes more sense that it wold be caused by the server going down.

As I said, this looks really cool. What happens if there are multiple players in a room at the same time? Are they visible to each other, or what?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 04:32:34 am »

The exploration is entirely a single player game, and should be built as such.  I have considered making certain rooms where player-to-player interaction may be possible, and some kind of chat system will be needed for making exclusive gates between two players, but for the time being the main focus is on creating worlds and exploring them, not directly interacting with other players.  Like exploring a collective dreamscape.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 04:49:59 am »

Awesome. This has been one of my favourite game concepts for years, so you have one person eagerly awaiting updates/improvements/whatever you decide to do!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 04:54:38 am »

Awesome. This has been one of my favourite game concepts for years, so you have one two people eagerly awaiting updates/improvements/whatever you decide to do!
FTFY

It sounds pretty cool so far, and I think it's got a lot of potential.

Sorting out greif worlds (and having rules/standards for worldbuilding) is something I would say is incredibly important. What puts me off an online game faster than anything else is poor management - it makes it feel like the creators don't care.
It shouldn't be a problem for now, but you'll inevitably encounter the 99% of Sturgeon's Law :(
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 02:41:18 pm »

I love the idea!
I've always thought that the very best sort of 'massive' game (either massively multiplayer or just massive) could be done by giving the player a really good framework to interact with their environment and then just letting them loose on proceduraly generated (or player generated) worlds.

This is going to sound super critical, and I'm only saying it as I think the game has a huge amount of promise:
I'd really suggest going for a different graphical style. I get what you're trying to do with all the different tilesets and retro theme (as well as harking back to JRPGs), but I think one coherent style would be better. There seem to be a lot of really talented tile makers around, and I'm sure you could partner with one to make a really awesome tileset. Also, your sizing makes it look a bit more like a JRPG world map and takes away from the exploration feel a bit.

Again, I don't want you to think I'm just trashing your art style, I just don't feel it fits somehow.

Good luck!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 02:08:08 am »

I love the idea!
I've always thought that the very best sort of 'massive' game (either massively multiplayer or just massive) could be done by giving the player a really good framework to interact with their environment and then just letting them loose on proceduraly generated (or player generated) worlds.

This is going to sound super critical, and I'm only saying it as I think the game has a huge amount of promise:
I'd really suggest going for a different graphical style. I get what you're trying to do with all the different tilesets and retro theme (as well as harking back to JRPGs), but I think one coherent style would be better. There seem to be a lot of really talented tile makers around, and I'm sure you could partner with one to make a really awesome tileset. Also, your sizing makes it look a bit more like a JRPG world map and takes away from the exploration feel a bit.

Again, I don't want you to think I'm just trashing your art style, I just don't feel it fits somehow.

Good luck!

Well, that's the thing: there IS no real graphical style, aside from the player sprite.  Everything else is imported by the world builder.  I suppose there can be one or several 'default' tilesets for people who don't want to have to make or find a new tileset (there already is one, but it is very basic - the 'blocks' tileset).  But one of the main ideas is to make everything in-game as generic as possible, leaving the style up to the user.
Of course, there is the question of the player sprite itself.  As the only real constant, its style will strongly influence the style of all worlds.  I tried to keep it as generic as possible.
One reason I'm going with a JRPG style is because there is already an abundance of resources online for sprites, tilesets, etc. to go with it. Other suggestions are welcome, of course.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 04:04:52 am »

My suggestion would be to have several (or one arbitrarily large) tileset that all follow a similar style - regardless of what that style is - rather than have users make their own. The reason being that it will make everything look "connected", if that makes any sense, as opposed to the disjointed feel that will probably arise from the drastically different styles that users contribute.
I'm indifferent as to what that style is, however, unless I don't like it, in which case I won't like it. (edit) Why did I even type that?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 06:53:56 am by InsanityIncarnate »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 90