Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 141184 times)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Reborn (Open alpha)
« Reply #390 on: November 16, 2017, 06:05:56 pm »

Okay. I see what you mean now. Will do.
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #391 on: November 17, 2017, 01:36:04 am »

I decided to add a new sprite property, "Is Tile".  This basically makes a sprite function as a tile; ignoring the Z value when calculating collisions.  I applied it to all tile-like sprites, i.e. signs, blocks, and doors.  While not entirely in the spirit of making top-down and sidescroller modes work the same, it is less confusing in practice for objects such as these.

I've also been testing the possibility of letting sprites stack up on top of other sprites and/or ride them.  Not in yet, but a possibility for the future.

Also, good going, all world builders!  As the number of worlds increases, the universe is expanding.  Wandering from world to world just feels nice!  I think the best method of maximizing your spark input is to have three "undirected" gates per world - an entry, an "easy" exit with a few coins in between, and a "hard" exit.  This way your world can be used as both a path to another random world (while giving you a few points for players that pass through it) as well as a challenge in its own right.  I'll put in a visible spark counter soon.  (The spark system is already online, you just can't see the numbers yet.)

"Hall of doors" type areas are especially beneficial for creating a more integrated universe.  There will probably be some way of benefiting world builders who link to rarely linked worlds.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 17, 2017, 10:08:00 am »

Is Tile should be helpful. The only issue with hall of doors areas is that they don’t get a lot of coins. Besides that, they are really neat. I would make one if I could art. Shame I can’t.
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 17, 2017, 10:43:34 am »

A possible solution might just be to put some content beyond the initial hall of doors, so people have a reason to stick around every now and then. Requires a bit more effort to make, but it could create some interesting flavor.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 17, 2017, 01:45:41 pm »

Fair enough. I might have to try making a gate world.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 17, 2017, 08:52:23 pm »

I've got a few questions about the world editor. They're probably kind of silly, but I've tinkered around with enough options trying to sort them out that I'd rather ask for help.

-Without deleting the object entry itself, is there any way to get rid of an individual object after you've placed it?

-How do you make your worlds show up in the list sans underscores? I've worked out that the list displays the name of your public gate rather than the world itself, but haven't been able to get it to accept spaces.

-Have any of you experienced lag in a world you've made? Might just be that I'm playing on a chromebook, but I've seen some very occasionally in the demo dungeon and more consistently in the platformer thing I'm slowly assembling. Size is probably the culprit here (and I'm still tinkering around with the platformer dimensions), but it seems worth a check-in.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 17, 2017, 09:10:11 pm »

- Right click it in select mode or in its object type.

- No clue. Will it make a difference (actual question, unsure)?

- I don’t recall any lag, but I have a pretty nice laptop.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 18, 2017, 12:07:01 am »

Well, I made a public package with the fireball shooting monsters I made. Probably not especially of interest, but the hover by player update tick may be of some interest, and I wanted to test out the public package system anyway. It has a fireball shooter, a triple fireball shooter, and a seeker fireball shooter. If I decide it isn't of interest, I'll just remove it, so no worries anyways. Tell me what you think.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 18, 2017, 11:05:56 am »

To get sparks for a small hall of doors type area, you can put a coin or two in easy reach.  You won't get much per visit, but if many people pass through you could make up for it with volume.

Alternatively, you could make a more elaborate hub area.  Think the castle in Mario 64... The tag system can even let you create "open" links that will connect to an appropriate area once someone builds one (until then it will just connect to a random public gate).  I plan on making a system that will inform world builders of "in demand" worlds; that is, gates with no appropriate end points.

The title of a gate replaces its ID in the gate selector and allows you to use code-illegal characters such as spaces.  It is advisable to change the title and not the ID for objects in general; the title is what the player sees and the ID is what the code sees; changing it will break existing gates that target it (unless that's what you want to happen).

I'll check out the new package.  Let's see how it will spread...

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 18, 2017, 11:07:28 am »

Probably not much, it was 50% me seeing how the system worked.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 18, 2017, 12:11:22 pm »

Maybe so, but they're not bad.  Triple fireball is pretty cool to just toss in anywhere to keep the player on their toes :).  I'll work on refining the AI for flying and platforming areas; stuff that hovers around and shoots at you is a staple of platformers.

I guess a fork and merge system would be a nice addition to packages (so non-owners could make suggested edits) but don't expect it for a while at least.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 18, 2017, 12:24:55 pm »

Have you tried placing three triple fireballs in a circle around you? Their damage gets bizarrely high for some reason. Also, could you put the main character in a package so it can be copied and modified to use for transformations? I wouldn’t mind getting a look at a complete character to modify. Or maybe as an enemy. Who knows?
Possibly more importantly, what happens if you try to make a package with the same ID as another package? It just occurred to me that that might be an issue.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 18, 2017, 01:16:07 pm »

Does the damage get any higher than it should?  Those fireballs are pretty strong to begin with.  There's no "mercy invincibility" (well, there sort of is, but it only prevents you from getting hit by the same hitbox twice), getting hit three times should deal three times the damage.

I could put a copy of the main character in a package, though I'm still updating it periodically.  You don't need to use another class to transform back though; there's an option under transformations to return to original form.  (If both transformations and reverting are active on the same object, it can toggle a transformation on and off.)

An enemy copy of the player could be made public, though I was planning on that being one of the final bosses :)

Saving a package with the same ID isn't as big of an issue as you might think; the filename you see is not actually the name of the file at all, it's just a property of the virtual filesystem that points you to where the file is actually held on the server, which is why you can move them around without breaking anything.  If you save over one of your own files it will be overwritten, this is how updating works.  Importing packages with the same name might have weird effects though, I'll have to go over that.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 18, 2017, 01:21:12 pm »

Doesn’t do more than it should I think, just more than would be expected.

The reason I want a main character to edit is so I can transform players into modified main character, not to reverse transformations.

Final boss? Interesting...

Okay. Glad that won’t be a big issue.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 18, 2017, 01:30:45 pm »

- Right click it in select mode or in its object type.

- No clue. Will it make a difference (actual question, unsure)?

- I don’t recall any lag, but I have a pretty nice laptop.

There's not a huge difference, but I'd rather just have it display properly in the main menu. Feels a little weird to see everyone else's gates read normally and my own to have lines between each word. In any case, thanks for the answers.

The title of a gate replaces its ID in the gate selector and allows you to use code-illegal characters such as spaces.  It is advisable to change the title and not the ID for objects in general; the title is what the player sees and the ID is what the code sees; changing it will break existing gates that target it (unless that's what you want to happen).

I'm... pretty sure that isn't working. I tried giving both the gates I'm trying to fix titles with spaces (and changed some words around in the titles for testing purposes), but the public gate list still seems to be referring to them by ID.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 90