Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 141348 times)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Reborn (Open alpha)
« Reply #420 on: November 20, 2017, 07:39:18 pm »

Oops, forgot to either make them untargetable or cut their regen. Oops. I’ll fix that later.

Edit: Oh, destroying the player with the destroy function leaves them unable to act, but not dead, so no respawn. Probably not good.

Edit: And the monsters are changed. I added a set of functionally invincible and untargetable enemies and made the old ones killable. Tell me if the update went well, since I haven't updated packages before.

Edit: You can copy things while in the edit functions menu, but you can't actually paste them. Could use a change in the future. This may be true with techniques as well, I can't recall, and I am busy trying to make branching dialogue (successfully so far).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 10:02:25 pm by Kamani »
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #421 on: November 20, 2017, 10:19:07 pm »

EDIT: Sidenote, more editor confusion. :P I'm having some trouble getting the player to die properly when they fall off the screen with platformer physics. Been able to fudge it with a gate on the bottom of the screen, but I doubt that properly restores health/stamina levels and such.

If you make "blank" tiles pits, the outside of the room will function as one.   There's no other way right now...well, I guess you could use a function that sets the player's _hp to 0.

Also, if you do use gates that aren't meant to be returned to, make sure to uncheck the "return to this gate" checkbox.  The way you set up the room causes the entrance to "link" to the pit, making you appear in the pit if you try to go back through the door.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 20, 2017, 10:57:51 pm »

Okay... Strange issue. Working on a bigger new thing, but, I can't get my character to transform into another copy of them (with changed skills. I tested it by changing their appearance too, so I know it isn't that). I can get them to transform into a block or into the unused enemy design, but they won't transform into the test doppleganger copy named Test. Any clue why the otherwise identical code isn't working?

Edit: It also didn't work when trying to transform into a copy of the block named block2. It seems to have issues with copied objects
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 11:02:18 pm by Kamani »
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 21, 2017, 04:06:03 am »

I fixed the issue.  Not entirely sure what it is you're trying to do, but it looks interesting!

There will be a means of giving the player new abilities without using transformations in the future, using items.  If you want to make a placeholder for this system, binding the new ability to the "special" button (v) will make it easiest to change over.

By the way, according to the lore I have planned out (which I'll get to someday) most monsters are the transformed souls of people who have gotten lost wandering in the void between the worlds.  They may or may not retain varying degrees of intelligence and/or memories of their former lives.  It's pretty open ended, if you want to incorporate that idea it's up to you.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 21, 2017, 07:54:43 am »

Thanks! I will incorporate that. Seems like a good thing for my project anyways. I will use the special button (I actually was, but when it didn’t work, I tried editing other buttons.
Anyways, the project is an attempt at making a character able to switch to a flying mode, but that can’t return from it except by returning to its old position of transformation. The flying character won’t be able to access all doors or leave the map or activate some switches, and if the Main Character clone left at the position of transformation dies, so do you, so you have to switch between them carefully.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 21, 2017, 08:18:39 am »

Hmm, that gives me an idea... It shouldn't be hard to make an event that switches the controls to a different sprite.  Maybe that would make what you're doing easier.  I'm going to put it in either way.

EDIT: It's done.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 21, 2017, 09:40:25 am »

Oh, that should help. Thanks! I don’t know if it will help for this, but it should be good for future projects.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 21, 2017, 12:03:23 pm »

Added a "Rotation Offset" field to graphics, mainly for purposes of Free Rotation.  Sprites with the Free Rotation graphic option automatically assume the left side of the sprite is "forward" for complicated reasons that basically amount to a bunch of maths and improving processing time somewhat, but you can treat the top of the sprite as the front instead by setting the rotation offset to 90.  You can also use this to rotate sprites in general if you feel so inclined.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 21, 2017, 02:58:48 pm »

Okay. Don't really know what that means, but, since I don't currently care, my actual question: How do I get set as avatar to target the thing I want it to target? I want using the skill to make Batelier the avatar, but if I just enter the correct ID in the Target box, nothing happens. I assume this is code stuff I don't understand, so what do I do?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 21, 2017, 04:04:32 pm »

The ID is the ID of the class, not the individual - you can't target a sprite by the class ID, since there can be many sprites belonging to that class.
To target a specific object, you must store it as a variable, and then reference that variable.  There are a couple of ways to do this.

When creating an object, you can set a Reference Variable that you can use to refer to it later.  You can use a "master" object that creates other objects and stores them as variables, then can set those variables on the objects it creates.  This is the standard method used by coders, and will also be ideal for handling things like projectiles.

An alternative method is to set a reference to the object on the "_room" instead, using the "_this" variable.  This can be easier depending on what you are trying to do, though somewhat messier from a coding standpoint.

An example of the second method:

When transforming into BatlierPlayer (in the function for the bat sprite),
Code: [Select]
Set _room.batref = _this
Set _room.original_player = @
Transform into BatlierPlayer
This creates references to both objects, which are stored by the room itself.  (You'll need to set a reference to the original sprite to switch back; @ refers to the current avatar, not the original sprite).  Any sprite in the room can access these references.  To set the bat as the avatar, you can run
_room.batref : Set as Avatar
and in order to switch back
_room.original_player : Set as Avatar

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 21, 2017, 05:24:19 pm »

Okay. I tried the first method, and I successfully can get Batelier to turn you into the Special_MC or into the BatelierPlayed, but I can't get the skill to transform Special_MC into BatelierPlayed. Instead, nothing happens. Any idea what could be wrong this time? I can't figure it out, so it is likely something obvious I just don't know.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 21, 2017, 11:47:20 pm »

That's because you're setting the variable to the original sprite, and then destroying that sprite.

You're treating all variables as though they have global scope, but in fact every sprite has its own set of variables.  When running a function, sprites look at their own variables.  If you want to use global variables, apply them to the _room instead.

Have you tried clicking a sprite in testing mode?  This will give you a list of all the variables that sprite contains.  It will also let you navigate to any object the sprite can access through a variable.  This may help you understand variables and scope better.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 21, 2017, 11:50:21 pm »

Ahh, okay. Thanks. The issue with the clicking to see is that it shifts extremely quickly, so it is very, very hard to read.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 22, 2017, 12:02:50 am »

You can pause with escape.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 22, 2017, 12:03:44 am »

... Somehow, pausing didn’t occur to me at all. Oops. Thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 90