Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 139749 times)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Reborn (Open alpha)
« Reply #570 on: December 06, 2017, 08:02:25 pm »

? What about semi transparent invisible tilesets? I just suggest doing that way because you can see if you placed your blocks in the right spot. Invisible blocks don't block view, I think, anyways.

Respawn gates should be VERY helpful.

I have yet to find some more monsters. Charasproject seems to use an extremely odd number of sizes, and I don't see how to sort between them.
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #571 on: December 06, 2017, 11:39:18 pm »

Basically it does what you were doing, but automatically.  You put the collision tileset (using basic tiles) at the top and make it invisible.  When you are editing that tilemap, it will show up semi-transparent in the editor.  You don't have to turn visibility on and off.

For Charasproject, just go to the charset editor, and use those images directly.  The image size is 24x32, but the sprite itself is approximately 16x24 with whitespace (which is good, because BoundWorlds does weird stuff with the edges if you try to enlarge a spritesheet that is perfectly lined up).  You can double its size in BoundWorlds to make it fit into the game; I generally use hitbox radius 11 and hitbox vertical height 48.  See the Gunslinger sprite for an example.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: December 06, 2017, 11:41:55 pm »

Okay. Sadly, that won’t help me with non humanoid monsters. Bright side: Elen art being eh is solved.
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: December 07, 2017, 01:32:01 am »

PTW.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: December 07, 2017, 02:59:37 am »

I merged the files back together.

I've also updated the front page of this thread, since it was hopelessly outdated and hard to even find the link.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Open Alpha - Explore the Multiverse and build a world!
« Reply #575 on: December 07, 2017, 08:53:47 am »

I'm going to start importing some worlds from the old version of BoundWorlds.  (I still have the files.)  Obviously given the updated nature of the game there will be some differences but I can iron them out by hand.

I'm starting with Arx.  Anyone have any requests?

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: December 07, 2017, 10:01:09 am »

I never really played back then, but it should be interesting to see what it was like.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #577 on: December 07, 2017, 10:16:33 am »

IndigoFenix, Here, have a imaginary updoot.
This is quite well done, and has provided me inspiration for how things should function in my own project, too.
Keep it up :)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: December 07, 2017, 11:48:11 am »

It wasn't very big, but there were a few people who put some effort in making worlds, and it would be unfair if their efforts were to just vanish forever.  I'm also going to restore my own first world, with appropriate updates.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: December 07, 2017, 03:15:36 pm »

Well... Since Charas just does humanoid monsters, I'll need to go back to browsing OpenGameArt.org. Now I just have to hope I can find a monster that is right for Alend. Ugh, I hate looking for stuff...

Edit: Hey, I just realized I have Game Character Hub (I think I got it from a humble bundle a while back? The same one with RPG Maker VX Ace), so that might help. Shame it doesn't make monsters either. Not useful here.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 03:42:37 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: December 08, 2017, 09:28:47 am »

I've been adding some content and fixing up bugs as I find them.  You can now upload files up to 10MB in size, which should help for music files.  Some problems with the animation editor are fixed.  There are also some more options for hitboxes, and an event for triggering the sprite's default trigger.

There's a secret on the mountain of chickens.  See if you can find it.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: December 08, 2017, 09:48:50 am »

Ugh, it will be like 7 hours before I can use the computer.

Edit: Wasn't the imperial citadel map's entry text used in an image that used to be on the main post? I remember seeing it.

Edit: A wandering chicken showed me the secret. Cluck cluck.

Edit: Okay, anyone have any advice on where to find sprites for a non-humanoid monster that can turn in all four directions in the same style as the Hyptosis tilesets? I can't find one, and I just checked everything under the 2D art section with the tag monster.

Also, I just noticed: Even though I deleted the duplicate Hyptosis tilesets, they didn't go away in the search area. I can make them no longer public, but I can't get rid of them.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 02:27:19 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: December 09, 2017, 03:02:26 pm »

The imperial citadel was one of the very first worlds created by someone other than me in the old version.

I found a whole bunch of monster sprites with varying styles.  Going to program them at some point later, but maybe some of them could be of use to you now.

I need to make a proper pagination system for the file search though.  The text search works more or less.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 09, 2017, 03:04:09 pm »

Thank you. That should be INCREDIBLY helpful. I have been stuck for days. Next time I get on I’ll take a look.

Edit: Alend art is now the beetle. I like it well enough. The one thing on the beetle: To make a square hitbox look right on it, you have to turn OFF autocenter, set image size to 48 x 48, set image center to 24 x 26, and then set hitbox to 32 x 30. Otherwise, a bunch of the hitbox will float in the air.

Edit: Elen art is also done. I used Game Character Hub because apparently I have that. It actually turned out pretty well. It is based on the original player art, but higher quality. I decided not to make it public, since I am only using it for one character.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 10:30:48 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: December 09, 2017, 11:38:55 pm »

That's cool.  The floating graphics bug has been around for a while but I've had trouble finding a case that triggers it.  I'll fix it.

By the way, it's better not to use rectangular hitboxes on sprites that are not intended to be literal rectangles.

Is that the typical arrangement for Game Character Hub spritesheets (4 frame walk cycle, south-west-east-north)?  I can add it as an animation convention if it's likely to be common.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 90