Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 139744 times)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Open Alpha - Equipped for Travel
« Reply #780 on: March 13, 2018, 10:13:49 am »

On the update: Cool! Although, gosh, I really need to get my dungeon done. It has been like 6 significant updates since I started.
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #781 on: March 14, 2018, 10:47:17 am »

Well, you're putting a lot more effort into it than I would expect from a typical world builder.  It's about the size of a proper RPG dungeon, with several unique elements in it.  I expect most worlds would be smaller.

In the future, I may implement some kind of system that encourages world builders to start small, releasing smaller, playable samples before allowing them to fully invest themselves in a full-sized project.  Otherwise, it's easy to set your goals too high and get discouraged before you even have something to add.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: March 14, 2018, 11:54:38 am »

Eh, to reference another book, run before you walk. No way I am cutting out on this project. It will get done. I’ll work on it today if I’m not too busy.

Edit: I am starting on the boss. I found a giant spider sprite, even if it isn't really what I want. I can't sprite for my life, so I am stuck with what I found for now. Maybe I'll change it some other time.

Edit: Working on a more complicated attack for the boss. Any ideas on how I would go about drawing a line between a boss and a target (optimally with a line of blue fires, but not something needed)? I want to forecast the charge attack pretty heavily, since it will hit like a truck. Most of the other attacks will be easier to forecast (mostly target signs on the ground), but I am puzzled on this one.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 09:09:58 pm by Kamani »
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: March 15, 2018, 11:22:50 pm »

Graphic effects like this are planned, but there is no way to do this now.

Maybe create small flames at random nearby positions and have them move toward the boss for a "sucking in energy" effect? The boss's _flashlevel can increase as they charge up to make them glow.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: March 15, 2018, 11:32:01 pm »

Hmm... Maybe, but I might be able to create a line by subtracting the boss’s location from the player’s location (or maybe the other way around), dividing it by a few numbers, and creating with respect to the boss’s location based on the generated coordinates. Should work, in theory. If it does, I can adapt it pretty easily to work in other circumstances.

That would fit for a more explodey attack, but I want this one to specifically show a charge. I want the first phase to be split between some low damage stuff that is a little harder to avoid, but not really hard, and some very high damage (as in 20-33ish damage, probably) but very easy to dodge (on their own) attacks. The second phase will have lots of low damage attacks to force you to think on your feet, but with less punishment for Amy given mistake.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: March 15, 2018, 11:59:17 pm »

Oh, I guess that would work.  I wasn't exactly sure what you were going for, like a line of consecutive explosions?  Alternatively you could make a regular projectile (perhaps invisible) that is fired at the player and creates an explosion at its own location every few frames.

Sounds like a cool design.  Can't wait to see it in action!

Also, I like what you've done with the hidden rooms.  I guess those will be how you tie in this world with your other worlds?

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: March 16, 2018, 12:13:50 am »

I was originially going to for a line of blue fires, but that might work better.

Thanks! I hope it turns out well.

You got it. I want my worlds to feel a bit more interconnected. Another example is that if you have the memento from my other current world (and eventually other worlds as well), then you will have a different dialogue when entering the town, since you have a memento from one of the other people trusted by the village. You probably won't get any sparks out of these, since they won't add much time to it, and I have to keep that balanced (sigh), but I do want them to be interesting enough to make it worthwhile. I plan to have two more secret rooms, except those will be in the town (although one of them will only be accessible after completing the dungeon, and only if you bought a rope, so don't just worldhop. The other... Well, that one is secret. There are hints towards it, but only if you think about it closely. Of course, it is completely foreseeable that someone would find it by mistake. Well, c'est la vie).

Edit: Problem 1. My boss seems to be running into some trouble with their charges getting stuck on the outer walls. This means that any kind of charge can be avoided using the walls. Perhaps I'll have to make the outer walls damaging so that the boss can get to them, but the player is forced away? I don't want my boss somehow charging off the walls, so...
       Problem 2: Despite the fact that I set up the markers (currently labeled test) to set their location when created, but when I set it to aim at it (assuming that the location should be the last one set), it just aims at the original target (or possibly the second aim function specific position set failed, so it just defaulted to aiming at the target. Could have misused it, causing it to ignore it). I have had no luck with this yet, although I am guessing that this one is just me forgetting something obvious.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 12:48:38 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: March 16, 2018, 02:40:54 am »

Oh, I see what you're trying to do.  Hmm, this could be tricky.

Dashes automatically stop and "freeze" for the remaining duration when the user hits a wall; this is intentional (to avoid messing up the timing of moves that incorporate dashes).  The issue is that the boss is charging at the center of the player's position, but its hitbox is much bigger than the player's.

Perhaps if the "liner" has a hitbox the size of the boss, but instead of being fired as a projectile it is a mobile object that has a stalking radius of 0.  This will cause it to "walk" toward the player and will therefore not encounter issues with the walls.  Then, the boss can use it as the target for the dash instead, ensuring that the target location is not too close to a wall.

Or you can just cheese it by making the boss ghostly.

I'm not sure what the issue with the absolute positioning of a dash is, it looks like it simply doesn't work and the ability's current target is always used as the dash target.  I'll try to get that fixed up, though my current version isn't quite ready for uploading yet.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: March 16, 2018, 01:18:47 pm »

I think, since you can hide in the corner and be immune, I might just make them ghostly. I’ll have to be careful to prevent them from charging off, but that should be fine.

Okay. Thank you.

Edit: Huh, not really sure if I want to redo the third room of the second half or remove it entirely. Right now, it feels totally unnecessary (although I may use the tile bit I used there elsewhere), but I don't know if it is worth the effort of fixing.

Edit: By the way, the target icon gets really large for giant enemies, which looks kind of silly. I'm guessing it is a placeholder anyway, but it feels kind of odd when it stretches out to the entire field on an enemy with a 78 radius hitbox (Nearly a 5 block diameter. Yeesh, they did end up large).

Edit: Second attack plan: Target appears on ground at player location. In 2 or 3ish seconds, a massive damage attack hits there, and blue fire is shot out in a spiral pattern (4 at a time, every 1/8 to 1/4 second, I think). Combines the big attack with the small attack. Ugh, working out the conditions for attacks will probably be a huge pain. I don't want there to be tons of big attacks at once, especially of the ones like this that also add field conditions.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 02:45:37 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: March 17, 2018, 12:52:46 pm »

If the built-in MP requirements or cooldown aren't enough to specify attack frequency, you can add extra requirements under the "Additional Requirements for Use" field.  For example, you can make a custom "powerful attack counter" variable that counts down in the _update function and then add an additional requirement "pac < 0" for these particular techniques (which reset the counter when used).

The target is a placeholder, yes.  Maybe I'll give it a minimum and maximum size.

About that charge attack, you can make a slightly different version by setting _stalk_rad and _stalk_max to 0 (which will make it attempt to collide with the target), and adjusting _speed, _accel, and _frict to determine the properties of motion during this period.  (Using Ghostly can get a bit silly if you want the boss to have stalking or wandering behavior at all.)

I'll try and fix up some kind of option for moving in a straight line more reliably... the "Walk" command would be ideal, but it's still kind of unreliable except for cutscenes, I need to give it proper "failure conditions" so that it cancels if the user gets stuck.

The room with the circular flame thing doesn't seem too bad...The only part of the dungeon I really don't like are the tile puzzles...though probably just because I suck at these particular kind of puzzles :).  Maybe add an option in the second room that lets you pay a few tokens to cheat :P

Oh, also worth noting that it is possible for the teleporting flames to wind up in unreachable spots, making some of the later rooms unwinnable.  Maybe have them teleport back to their original position after a few seconds (just use _origin as the jump destination point, that should work I think).

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: March 17, 2018, 12:58:44 pm »

That is my current plan.

Okay.

With that, I think the boss will be immobile except when attacking in phase one, so I shouldn’t have to worry too much.

Fair enough. I suppose I could make it skippable for some tokens. It would also help me, since testing that room takes ages. Every time. Edit: Any advice on how many tokens it should cost? I mean, a healing potion was 4, so maybe 2 or 3?

Huh. They should teleport again if the tile they are on isn’t a floor. Strange. Ah well, I’ll do that. Edit: Done. On a 400 second timer that resets every time they get teleported.

Edit: Uh, what are the horizontal angles measured in? I used the 360 degrees, but it didn't seem to work. I had some right next to each other, even though everything is 90 degrees apart. Is this in radians or something?

Edit: My fire attacks from the boss seem to be hitting the boss too, even though they are on the same team. I thought I had solved this earlier, but apparently I didn't. Anyways, this is messing the boss up (run underneath them, watch them use the explodey attack, deal massive damage), so how can I fix it?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 01:46:06 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: March 17, 2018, 04:42:43 pm »

Projectiles automatically have their team set to that of the sprite that fires them.  This is actually only supposed to happen if the projectile's default team is 0, but...at any rate, setting the BlueFireSpiral sprite's team to 2 should fix the issue.

The horizontal angles are supposed to be in degrees, but it looks like they're being converted to radians here for some reason.  Just leave them for the now.  I'll make a hotfix on some of these issues at least once I get to a proper computer.  Probably tomorrow.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: March 17, 2018, 04:45:25 pm »

Okay. Thanks.

Okay. Weird. Glad I won’t have to try to use radians.

Edit: 1st of the smaller barrage attacks. Shoots fire from every side of the screen. It is low damage (3) and is pretty easily dodged on its own, but paired with a big attack, it should make things interesting. Side question: Is there any way to make damage block ignoring? I don't really want people to defend the big attack. The point is to dodge them, so halving the damage kind of messes that up.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 12:25:45 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: March 18, 2018, 02:01:30 am »

Blocking doesn't affect elemental damage, so if you add an element to the hitbox and set the hitbox's physical value to 0, it should be unblockable.  However, there is currently no support for elemental melee attacks (though I suppose there should be, since some sprites are fireballs and such) so you'll have to make it a technique.

I fixed the degrees and radians issue, at least partly.  There's still a bit of an issue with using expressions in directional variables.

I've also fixed some things relating to projectiles in non-technique functions.  You can make a nicer fire spiral by using the _update function - each frame, increase the BlueFireSpiral's _face variable by a small amount (which causes it to rotate).  Then, every few frames, create 4 projectiles, with their horizontal directions set to 0, 90, 180, and 270.  Projectile directions are added to the direction the sprite is facing, so this creates a 4-way spinning spiral.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: March 18, 2018, 02:07:01 am »

Okay. But yeah, there should be elemental melee support. 99% of the bullets I use are fireballs, so...

Oh good. Thanks.

Well, the shoot bit is the way it is because I wasn’t sure if shooting would work without a target, so I aimed them at 0,0. I can do it that way, since would work better.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 90